School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Plumbing, Water and Waste (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/)
-   -   Water heater location (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/water-heater-location-25456.html)

DT Rutledge 01-11-2019 08:13 PM

Water heater location

I'm shopping for water heaters. I have a 37' Thomas RE with a basement and there isn't enough room for most rv sized tankless units. I'm thinking a solution would be to use flexible water and gas lines so the WH could be hung on the outside of the bus while camping and stowed away when not in use. This would solve the problem with exhaust venting. Anybody see any issues with this?

Tango 01-12-2019 09:08 AM

There are now a few interior units that are "ventless". As I recall, one is named Excel(?).

DT Rutledge 01-12-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 304901)
There are now a few interior units that are "ventless". As I recall, one is named Excel(?).

Even the indoor ventless models need upper clearance, and I'm not comfortable having the top of the WH so close to the floor of the bus.

Jolly Roger bus 223 01-12-2019 01:31 PM

There are small point of use units out there.
One for each fixture that you need hot water at or one can handle multiple fixtures if you don't exceed its flow rating by trying to use two fixtures at the same time.
Like a shower and fill the kitchen sink.
Good luck

CaptSquid 01-12-2019 06:23 PM

Do like I did. I purchased a 30 liter German boiler. Low profile, definitely demand.

toomanydogs 01-17-2019 01:03 PM

Can you post which one you bought?

CaptSquid 01-22-2019 07:06 PM

30 liter boiler NOTE: this is a 220 VAC device.

Willie_McCoy 01-30-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT Rutledge (Post 304866)
I'm shopping for water heaters. I have a 37' Thomas RE with a basement and there isn't enough room for most rv sized tankless units. I'm thinking a solution would be to use flexible water and gas lines so the WH could be hung on the outside of the bus while camping and stowed away when not in use. This would solve the problem with exhaust venting. Anybody see any issues with this?

This is definitely a workable option, keep in mind the flow rate of the fixture you plan to use (shower) and the temp of the incoming water supply, and make sure that the heater you choose is big enough to meet you needs. Look for the user manual or installation guide to see what its temp rise is at a given flow rate. Most of the advertising for these heaters is at a almost unusably low flow, so you need to do some homework.

DT Rutledge 01-30-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy (Post 308030)
This is definitely a workable option, keep in mind the flow rate of the fixture you plan to use (shower) and the temp of the incoming water supply, and make sure that the heater you choose is big enough to meet you needs. Look for the user manual or installation guide to see what its temp rise is at a given flow rate. Most of the advertising for these heaters is at a almost unusably low flow, so you need to do some homework.

Solid advice. Thank you.

Doktari 01-30-2019 11:08 PM

Interesting idea. I have one of the little hang on the wall 4 gallon 120 volt electric water heaters attached to scrap of plywood. I can hang it anywhere. A little Suitcase generator heats a shower in fairly quickly. I’m going to rig a solid state relay on my solar and divert Surplus energy to it.
If you get a fully modulating on demand gas fueled water heater you can run preheated water into it. If you supply a un modulated on demand water heater with warm water it gets too hot. Maybe a undersized unit would work great but not when one only has cold water.
Maybe you can use quick connect fittings on your outdoor unit?