School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Leveling Jacks!!?? (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/leveling-jacks-26096.html)

IanT720 03-04-2019 12:09 PM

Leveling Jacks!!??

Does anyone have any pictures/Recommendations for Frame mounted Leveling/stabilizing jacks? I like this style.. Why wont they work? I want the ability to use the jack to actually change a tire if need be.. On my full size RE Skoolie..

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...tails=.reviews

david.dgeorge07 03-04-2019 02:56 PM

That looks pretty cool! My only question would be how much travel the telescope has, and if you would need blocks to be able to make it work. The frame on these busses is quite high, and I think is probably the only sturdy option for mounting. You may end up having to crawl way under your bus and then use significant blocks to get a bite with the jack. All that said, if you get a working system I'm sure many of us here would be fascinated.

IanT720 03-04-2019 03:17 PM

With the drop foot, the total travel is 24" I think. They have larger ones too. what do you guys use?

david.dgeorge07 03-04-2019 03:25 PM

I just use leveling blocks...RVs often have stabilizing jacks, but I don't think they are intended to carry the weight of the vehicle. As compared to an RV most of our busses have such rigid suspension that we don't really need stabilization. I know coaches sometimes have push button electrically operated jacks that will automatically level! I know I would at least investigate servo controlled jacks if I were trying to do it. Crawling under the bus 4x and wrangling each jack by hand seems like a lot of work.

Mark_In_MA 03-04-2019 10:46 PM

Using the leveling jack to raise the bus up, you'd have to raise the full height of the suspension compression, plus any droop/sag in the leaf springs. At that height/extension, the jack might not be vertical anymore, increasing the chances of the bus trying to fall forwards/backwards. Much easier and safer IMO to jack up under the axle, raise it 2 or 3 inches and then do the tire change.

Most of the leveling/jacking systems I've seen don't extend all that far, and they're not rated to lift the coach, more so to just stabilize any rocking from side-side when parked. (In theory, even if the jacks failed, the coach would only drop a couple inches onto the blocking under the wheels.) If you're parked on grass, often you get to crawl under the coach and throw down some blocking anyways, because the jacks compress the dirt rather then lifting the coach.

Alan N 03-04-2019 11:08 PM

I use blocks to get the bus mostly level and a mechanical bottle jack from an old ford pickup at each corner to get the level just right. The bumper on my bus and I think most skoolies is strong enough to jack on. Saw the jack handle off and chuck it in your cordless drill for fast up and down. If you have a child of the appropriate age and ability you can have voice operated leveling jacks, you can't even get that as an option on a Prevost!

Alan N 03-04-2019 11:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 30483

Attachment 30484
Like this :smile:

Sleddgracer 03-05-2019 07:50 AM

hydraulic rams could be an option - rams are not all that expensive and a 12v hydraulic pump can be had for $200 - $300, giving the option of operating all sorts of hydraulically moved items

PNW_Steve 03-05-2019 09:59 AM

Soujourner built some slick leveling Jack's detailed in his build thread.

IanT720 03-05-2019 10:27 AM

I was thinking of some Air over Hydro setup being I have an onboard compressor... But worried about the hydros leaking over time... Main reason for jacks, is I'm building a large rooftop deck. That's why I want the stability of the frame mounted kind.. Blocks work great to level it. But nothing to stabilise it, especially with a roof deck.