School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   A place to build (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/a-place-to-build-26279.html)

B.Bunny2863 03-23-2019 02:45 AM

A place to build
 
Hello to all,
I have a 1999 Amtram school bus RE, that I have been trying to convert into a studio apartment on wheels...
Finding a place to build without issues, or people watching you, and feeling like they are waiting for an opportunity to break in after your gone, is my fear....
I'm in my mid 50's, my kids are no longer kids, nor am I married anymore. So I don't require a three bedroom two baths house to be comfortable. I'm not at the retirement age yet but I would love to see some so this beautiful country of ours before I'm too old to move, and enjoy it..
Is there something I'm missing?


Thank you !!!!

Drew Bru 03-23-2019 07:20 AM

We were in the same position. We live in the suburbs of a major city and were struggling to find a place to do our build. We ended up finding an RV/Boat storage place on Craigslist for $35/mo. We found 2 places, actually but this was cheaper. Both would allow us to work on the bus. The place we settled on is out in the country and the guy is just looking for some extra cash to pay his property taxes.
All this to say: Look around on Craigslist for places that might be a little bit of a drive (ours is 45 minutes away) and aren't corporately owned.

B.Bunny2863 03-23-2019 01:29 PM

Thank you Drew Bru, I am still new but I did send you a reply of thanks from my email, not sure if you got it ...And I wanted you to know that I appreciated your advice...

Phyllis in Dallas 03-23-2019 07:45 PM

Hi. What do you mean about missing something?

B.Bunny2863 03-24-2019 04:28 AM

Hello Phyllis,
I read it over too, and I believe I may have been making the statement, that I am missing out on traveling through out this country....
Oops,
Thank you for addressing that.��

musigenesis 03-24-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Bru (Post 315684)
We were in the same position. We live in the suburbs of a major city and were struggling to find a place to do our build. We ended up finding an RV/Boat storage place on Craigslist for $35/mo. We found 2 places, actually but this was cheaper. Both would allow us to work on the bus. The place we settled on is out in the country and the guy is just looking for some extra cash to pay his property taxes.
All this to say: Look around on Craigslist for places that might be a little bit of a drive (ours is 45 minutes away) and aren't corporately owned.

Wow, $35 a month is awesome. I'm paying $200 for a spot in a "secure" facility (I put secure in ironic quotes because I got robbed last week anyway and lost all my power tools), although it does have the enormous advantage of being a quarter mile from a Home Depot and a Lowes.

musigenesis 03-24-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Bunny2863 (Post 315677)
Hello to all,
I have a 1999 Amtram school bus RE, that I have been trying to convert into a studio apartment on wheels...
Finding a place to build without issues, or people watching you, and feeling like they are waiting for an opportunity to break in after your gone, is my fear....
I'm in my mid 50's, my kids are no longer kids, nor am I married anymore. So I don't require a three bedroom two baths house to be comfortable. I'm not at the retirement age yet but I would love to see some so this beautiful country of ours before I'm too old to move, and enjoy it..
Is there something I'm missing?


Thank you !!!!

When I was looking for a work spot for my bus, I was mainly concerned about finding a place that had electricity available. Once I settled in I found that their electricity was not working so I had to buy a portable generator anyway. This was easy to do - found a used one on Craigslist for $150 and it's been working great for me, a gallon of gas lasts a couple of days so the fuel expense is negligible.

I realize now that it would have been much better to have found a place with running water and a drain, because dealing with the rust on a bus basically requires this (also helpful for painting and for testing out watertightness of the outside).

EastCoastCB 03-24-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 315856)
Wow, $35 a month is awesome. I'm paying $200 for a spot in a "secure" facility (I put secure in ironic quotes because I got robbed last week anyway and lost all my power tools), although it does have the enormous advantage of being a quarter mile from a Home Depot and a Lowes.

That sounds horrible.

musigenesis 03-24-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 315860)
That sounds horrible.

The $200/mo or the robbery? I guess they're both robberies in a sense. My secure facility gets bonus points because enormous dog turds keep showing up around my bus - I'm pretty sure at least one person is actually living in their trailer there and is the one with the dog.

The robbery wasn't so bad because at least they didn't gratuitously damage anything. All it would really take to end my skoolie project would be one kid with a stick smashing all my windows.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.