School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   Look a bus! (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/look-a-bus-26579.html)

HenrysCat 04-13-2019 02:02 AM

Look a bus!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...856690544.html

Iím looking for advice on this bus I really like the shape and size just wondering how reliable this could be and if the price is fair. The reason I like this is because is is as close to a flat nose in this length that I think exists.

Sleddgracer 04-13-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrysCat (Post 319673)
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...856690544.html

Iím looking for advice on this bus I really like the shape and size just wondering how reliable this could be and if the price is fair. The reason I like this is because is is as close to a flat nose in this length that I think exists.

looks nice and clean - that nose would allow good visibility when driving

peteg59 04-13-2019 12:59 PM

If it was closer to me, the add would be down already...

o1marc 04-13-2019 03:41 PM

Diesel pusher, I don't think so. Must be a trunk under that dognose, or whatever you call those noses.

geminusprime 04-13-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleddgracer (Post 319712)
looks nice and clean - that nose would allow good visibility when driving

The visibility of the 2nd Generation vistas are amazing. Flat nose may be a bit better, but in a pinch the vista is still better than the full dognoses I checked out and drove.

Can't even see the hood, you have to lean up a bit to see all 2 feet of it.

Mark_In_MA 04-13-2019 09:23 PM

I like it. Mileage is good, 7.3s in a bus that size are just fine, the rear heat/AC is a bonus. For buses that length, I think its a reasonable price.

Johnny Mullet 04-13-2019 10:02 PM

Looks like a decent bus.

HenrysCat 04-19-2019 11:30 AM

Hey everyone! I went to see the bus today. I am looking for more advice now that I’ve seen the bus. If I like what I’m hearing, I’ll go buy it on Monday.

So first off, the instrument cluster is having issues. No fuel gauge, no speedometer, the temperature gauge read as hot as it could go, but the engine didn’t feel that hot, the odometer stopped as well.
I have the records of it’s last 3 inspections and it has only moved 1000 miles since.
The underside seemed to a bit oily, not sure of where the oil may be coming from. Any ideas?
It is a California bus so it has an exhaust regenerator installed which has a green indicator light that does not turn off with the key. It seems to be draining the battery relatively fast.

The seller is taking it to a diesel mechanic tomorrow to see what he can have fixed up for me prior to purchase, no extra charges added.

o1marc 04-19-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrysCat (Post 320720)
Hey everyone! I went to see the bus today. I am looking for more advice now that Iíve seen the bus. If I like what Iím hearing, Iíll go buy it on Monday.

So first off, the instrument cluster is having issues. No fuel gauge, no speedometer, the temperature gauge read as hot as it could go, but the engine didnít feel that hot, the odometer stopped as well.
I have the records of itís last 3 inspections and it has only moved 1000 miles since.
The underside seemed to a bit oily, not sure of where the oil may be coming from. Any ideas?
It is a California bus so it has an exhaust regenerator installed which has a green indicator light that does not turn off with the key. It seems to be draining the battery relatively fast.

The seller is taking it to a diesel mechanic tomorrow to see what he can have fixed up for me prior to purchase, no extra charges added.

Find out who the mechanic is and see if he'll go over the bus and find everything wrong with it.:thumb:

PNW_Steve 04-19-2019 12:23 PM

Instrument cluster issues are somewhat common. The most likely problem is cold solder joints on the circuit board.

I have seen quite a few that were repaired by simply resoldering the connections on the circuit board.

Rovobay 04-19-2019 01:05 PM

Find out the transmission. Is it probably an AT545. Never driven one, but I was interested in them because of the size. Heard they ride rough and the engine can be more difficult to work on vs. a regular dog nose.

HenrysCat 04-19-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 320736)
Instrument cluster issues are somewhat common. The most likely problem is cold solder joints on the circuit board.

I have seen quite a few that were repaired by simply resoldering the connections on the circuit board.

Thanks! That is a relief. Most of what I read so far in my research says itís common. Iím just more comfortable getting my information directly from here. :)

HenrysCat 04-19-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rovobay (Post 320751)
Find out the transmission. Is it probably an AT545. Never driven one, but I was interested in them because of the size. Heard they ride rough and the engine can be more difficult to work on vs. a regular dog nose.

This is a picture of the transmission tag. AT542.
Any info on that?

HenrysCat 04-19-2019 05:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some photos of tags and the regen light thatís always on as well as inspection records.

HenrysCat 04-19-2019 06:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Some photos of the undercarriage so you can see the oily bottom. Hoping this is a simple fix. Really loving to shape and size of this bus.

Michael (co-potential bus owner) went to school for automotive repair, but does not have a whole heaping ton of experience with diesel. We are prepared for some hard work, and willing to drop new gear under the hood.

Iím going to see if I canít get the info to the mechanic as mentioned above. Great idea! Thanks.

o1marc 04-19-2019 06:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken the 542 is the same as the 545 only with a deeper pan. It is the least desirable transmission for a Skoolie.

HenrysCat 04-23-2019 02:59 PM

We decided today this isn’t our bus. Though we love it, and will be on the hunt for one very similar, we have been swayed from this purchase.
I’m more confident in my next bus hunt and will be posting on this site regularly. Thank you guys for your help thus far.