School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/)
-   -   Posting huge pictures? (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/posting-huge-pictures-29528.html)

PNW_Steve 11-27-2019 04:37 PM

Posting huge pictures?

I don't know if many others are having this trouble but I am seeing more and more threads that I cannot view without clicking the link and then taking a nap while it loads.

I have the habit of resizing pictures before I post them so they load quickly. Some of us still live in areas with less than ideal Internet options. My connection here varies from 3mbps to 9mbps on a wired connection . I pay for 12mbps. Latency varies from 30ms to over 200ms while testing with the same server. Sometimes it just stops for a few seconds.

When users add pics from their 8 megapixel camera without resizing the render the thread pretty much unviewable to those of us with inferior Internet options.

As a little experiment I have tried posting the same picture native and resized to 1024x1280.

Once loaded, the native resolution picture didn't look any better than the resized version in my browser.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

S.

Willie_McCoy 11-27-2019 05:15 PM

I use a hosting service like imgur or photobucket, I think the images automatically resize and post a smaller version with the option to click for full size.

Is that how they appear on your end?

Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/sKcLaj2.jpg

ComfortEagle 11-27-2019 09:04 PM

I use a 3rd party hosting site also, smugmug... Not free but worth it to me.
https://photos.smugmug.com/1986-Gill...497_HDR-X5.jpg

Sasquatters 11-30-2019 10:52 AM

The problem is that this forum is crazy out dated.

PNW_Steve 11-30-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatters (Post 361450)
The problem is that this forum is crazy out dated.

Some of the other forums that limit the size of uploads to eliminate the problem.

It sounds like using a hosting service may be a solution as well.

I have been thinking that the root of my trouble was caused, in part, by my crappy Internet.

Sasquatters 11-30-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 361463)
Some of the other forums that limit the size of uploads to eliminate the problem.

It sounds like using a hosting service may be a solution as well.

I have been thinking that the root of my trouble was caused, in part, by my crappy Internet.

Itís definitely the forum itself. Some messages that are quoted several times are terrible formatting too. Throw and picture in there and it stretches the entire page horizontally.

PNW_Steve 11-30-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatters (Post 361465)
Itís definitely the forum itself. Some messages that are quoted several times are terrible formatting too. Throw and picture in there and it stretches the entire page horizontally.

The main trouble that I have is threads that take, no kidding, 3 minutes to load. The text pops up quickly but remains too small to read until all of the pictures load.

Another practice that makes the threads easier to read is not including the pictures when you quote a post that has a bunch of pictures in it. It is pretty simple to delete the links in the quote.

EastCoastCB 11-30-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy (Post 361128)
I use a hosting service like imgur or photobucket, I think the images automatically resize and post a smaller version with the option to click for full size.

Like this:

That pic is GREAT!

If you're ever down south here maybe take me for a spin in that beauty?:marshmallow:

Sasquatters 11-30-2019 12:39 PM

It is simple to do that but try getting everyone on a forum to do so. Most older people donít even know how to turn their PC off. The forum just needs work properly and that isnít going to happen without some serious work l, which doesnít seem likely. In the near future I plan on starting a forum (I manage several) for skoolie people that will work great on any device and not have the limitations of this one.

EastCoastCB 11-30-2019 12:42 PM

I don't mind this format but I only use it on my super fast computer with my super fast 218 meg broadband speed on my 61" tv.

banman 11-30-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 361120)
I don't know if many others are having this trouble but I am seeing more and more threads that I cannot view without clicking the link and then taking a nap while it loads.

SNIP...

S.

I will just ask -- am I one of the guilty parties?
If you say yes, I'll try and learn more about posting pics...

PNW_Steve 12-03-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banman (Post 361503)
I will just ask -- am I one of the guilty parties?
If you say yes, I'll try and learn more about posting pics...

:)

I don't know but thank you for your consideration.

If I click on a link and recognize that it isn't going to load reasonably I hit the back button and move on.

PNW_Steve 12-03-2019 11:19 AM

FWIW: I use "paint.net", a free app, to resize mine.

kazetsukai 12-11-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 361120)

I probably could build a service that handled this problem in an afternoon. On upload an image would be resized to several different sizes and stored. Each user could then set in their profile the desired image sizes they wanted to see or set a "bandwidth profile" that chose the best option for them.

Previous images already uploaded to this forum could be migrated, and we could either use new forum software to generate links to the service endpoint or modify the current iteration to do so. If a site admin is interested in trying to prototype something like this, let me know. Migrations are a specialty of mine.

As for upload policy: My advice is allow uploads up to the tens of MB per image, but resize (scale, preserving aspect ratio) in the backend to a few desired sizes. Making others resize prior is just not a reasonable expectation due to vast differences in age and proficiency.

I'd still love to see webp support!

wrenchtech 12-16-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy (Post 361128)

Like this:

I definitely want to be able to see images like this at the highest resolution possible. It’s the reason I invested in a 4K monitor for my desktop.