School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Automatic tire chains (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/automatic-tire-chains-4999.html)

jkindt 02-21-2010 02:21 PM

Re: Automatic tire chains

Many of the school busses meant for northern weather came with similar automatic tire chains just like these. My bus does not have them, which is okay because I do not use it in icy weather. The only downside I can see is that you would have a bunch of noisy chains rattling around, not that a bus is a quiet machine. 8)

Jarlaxle 02-21-2010 03:25 PM

I think they're illegal in some states except for emergency vehicles.

busdriver_phil 02-21-2010 04:35 PM

A lot of buses have them in northern areas. Nearly every ambulance I see has them. I've driven buses that had them installed, you get a little bit of a chain noise but it's not that bad. I haven't had the pleasure of using them in snow, but I've been told they're very effective. Just be careful, they won't get you out of everything, and if you spin your tires with the chains down you can rip them off.

lapeer20m 02-27-2010 05:48 PM

i've used them on an ambulance before.

They are one of those products that seem good in theory, but aren't really that great in practice.

you have to be moving for them to work. They don't work if you wait until you are stuck to engage them.....come to think of it, they dont work too good when they do work!

you're better off with real tire chains. Sure real tire chains are a pita to put on, and every time you need them there is 3 feet of snow and it's cold out...but you can't beet the performance of real tire chains.

conventional buses tend to do really well in the snow. Where are you planning to drive your bus?

McPuccio 11-12-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapeer20m (Post 39035)
i've used them on an ambulance before.

They are one of those products that seem good in theory, but aren't really that great in practice.

you have to be moving for them to work. They don't work if you wait until you are stuck to engage them.....come to think of it, they dont work too good when they do work!

you're better off with real tire chains. Sure real tire chains are a pita to put on, and every time you need them there is 3 feet of snow and it's cold out...but you can't beet the performance of real tire chains.

conventional buses tend to do really well in the snow. Where are you planning to drive your bus?

My wife and I are going to be driving our bus from East Texas to Oregon starting the second half of march. We're thinking about going the Arizona-California route.

Should we have chains? How many?

mmoore6856 11-12-2017 08:15 PM

never use chains to get into trouble shut down as i drive a truck i see people trying to put chains on next to some of the stupidest truck drivers that blast past them at 65 mph just get off and park and live to tell about it

golfersmurf57 12-12-2017 09:20 AM

Automatic? You mean they jump out in the snow and attach on their own? Ill take a dozen sets for sale on eBay.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Twigg 12-12-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 (Post 238729)
Automatic? You mean they jump out in the snow and attach on their own? Ill take a dozen sets for sale on eBay.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

No, they are a series of short chains fixed to a rubber wheel that swings down and is driven by the tire. They spin, spreading the chains under the tire as you drive.

I understand they can be very effective and are deployed by a switch in the cab.

CaptSquid 12-12-2017 05:53 PM

The only time I hung iron was in a parking lot in OKC. Fool idjit dispatcher had me drop a fully loaded trailer on level ground so an Owner/Operator could run the load the rest of the way to Arkansas. Me? I had to take his empty trailer to the drop lot and pick up a loaded trailer to take elsewhere. Darn snow was slicker than snot on a brass door knob.

Stu & Filo. T 12-12-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigg (Post 238773)
No, they are a series of short chains fixed to a rubber wheel that swings down and is driven by the tire. They spin, spreading the chains under the tire as you drive.

I understand they
can be very effective and are deployed by a switch in the cab.

I talked with a driver who had them on her school bus & she told me they were ok in just a couple inches of snow but much more & they were almost useless