School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Boondocking Ideals/Newbie (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/boondocking-ideals-newbie-5514.html)

Locutus 06-10-2010 01:36 PM

Re: Boondocking Ideals/Newbie

With the right filter (and pump) you can fill your potable water tank from many good sources such as mountain lakes or streams. 0.2 micron filtration will screen every microbe except viruses. Be careful about areas with agriculture, livestock, or near cities though. More urban surface water may have disolved heavy metals, which require activated carbon to filter out. Viruses can be inactivated with eight drops of clorine bleach per gallon. In a pinch you can use a backpacker filter. For your on board tanks you'll want a filter with larger flow rate, however.

Stuff 06-10-2010 03:17 PM

pictures! also your junkyard friend should be able to hook you up with another rear end right?

M1031 06-10-2010 04:04 PM

Your buddy should be able to hook you up with a rear end from a single axle semi. Those are super cheap and plentiful. You might want to check to see if the wheels take regular semi tires (11X22.5). The more you can standardize the cheaper everything will be for you. Also scavange for an RV air conditioner. You may not need it all the time, but when you need it you really will need it. Sounds like with a little patience, tenacity, and luck you should have an outstanding skoolie. Don't forget, insulation is your best friend....

M1031 06-10-2010 10:32 PM

Very valid points Smitty.

jkindt 06-11-2010 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An 8 window bus is a great balance between size and maneuverability. I have an 8 window bus and I can drive that thing pretty much anywhere and it has plenty of room for 2 people inside comfortably. They are usually referred to as a mid-size bus, or a 3/4 size bus. Though my brother keeps calling it a 'short-bus'...I am sure just to get under my skin. :lol: Like Smitty said, make sure you check it out really well and that you can get the title for it, otherwise you may be in for a lot of headaches. 8)

Now THIS is a SHORT BUS..... 8)

JakeC 06-11-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkindt
An 8 window bus is a great balance between size and maneuverability. I have an 8 window bus and I can drive that thing pretty much anywhere and it has plenty of room for 2 people inside comfortably. They are usually referred to as a mid-size bus, or a 3/4 size bus. Though my brother keeps calling it a 'short-bus'...I am sure just to get under my skin. :lol: Like Smitty said, make sure you check it out really well and that you can get the title for it, otherwise you may be in for a lot of headaches. 8)

Now THIS is a SHORT BUS..... 8)

Hahahaha...wow, where in the heck is that?! That is hilarious!! I bet it gets good mileage, lol...