School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/)
-   -   Wanted: Source of leaf springs or spring work (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/wanted-source-of-leaf-springs-or-spring-work-5638.html)

Elliot Naess 07-08-2010 10:38 PM

Wanted: Source of leaf springs or spring work

:D
A while back I asked about finding me a pair of 24" wheels for the front of Millicent, to improve ground clearance. But since then I have taken a better look underneath. Holy #$%^&*! The front springs are sagging rather badly. They have almost a W shape, as opposed to an arch shape. Only around 2" clearance to the frame. So I priced new springs at a Sacramento truck suspension shop. $900. Each. Plus $600 for installation (of them both, thankfully.) $2400? Ain't gonna happen.

The shop suggested that the old springs might be reused after some serious smithing. But it would still be very expensive, by my standard.

I might be able to do the R-n-R myself. I also have a local truck mechanic who works reasonably. The worst part seems to be the springs themselves.

The springs measure 26" x 26" x 3".

Suggestions?

bus-bro 07-09-2010 12:04 AM

Re: Wanted: Source of leaf springs or spring work

Oh boy! For the price of the springs you could buy another bus, swap them, then sell the the donor.

Seems like the price of a bus is just a down payment. :(

penguin 07-09-2010 12:09 AM

There was a shop in Oakland called Mor-drop that would drop axles for hot rods and straighten and re-arch springs. I know a couple years ago he was looking to sell the business and retire, but it might be worth investigating

Stephan

the_experience03 07-09-2010 12:40 AM

Husky Spring out of Minnesota...they ship to every continent but one (take a guess which one that is!). These guys know their stuff. I don't know what you're going to be looking at price-wise as $900 might just be the going rate, but on the other end of this number will be John or Mike, both of whom know their stuff. Tell them Andrew told you to call. :lol:

800-826-3318

M1031 07-09-2010 07:25 AM

North Side Auto Spring in Evansville, Indiana is my place, even from down in Houston. The best prices on springs, alignment, and any other suspension issues you may be having. I've known them for decades. They are next door to the trucking company I used to work for.

Elliot Naess 07-09-2010 09:08 AM

Great! Keep'em coming! I figure there has to be somebody out there with Chinese springs, or re-arched springs, or something for a couple hundred.

Ah... Mor-Drop.... An iconic business of my youth. I visited there in 1971, just as a kind'a pilgrimage. The man patiently explained to me what they could and could not do to various early Ford axles, and how they did it. The shop is just barely visible off the freeway. Nice nostalgia trip this morning! :lol:

letz4wheel 07-09-2010 09:11 AM

That gives me the heebies if you used to work for Walts lol. Elliot if you want to give Northside a call and if I can do anything for ya in the evansville area let me know

Elliot Naess 07-09-2010 10:34 AM

I'm finding a variety of used springs in the online inventory of Acme Truck Wreckers in Stockton, Ca, for decent prices, but nothing that immediately appears to fits Millicent. (If I had a Freightliner FL70, I'd be hip-deep in springs!)

I've just been underneath again, and found the part number on the springs: 1446970. It is stamped on the side of one of the clamps that hold the leaves neatly bundled. There are nine leaves, plus what appears to be a little spacer pad the thickness of a leaf.

All this said, I am not in any great hurry -- primarily because I have no money to buy springs for. But this will need to be tended to eventually, so I figure I'll start looking and learning.

Elliot Naess 07-09-2010 12:03 PM

And I am indeed learning -- and this might be a good tip for many occations:

Part numbers. They are magical.

I telephoned the same shop that quoted me $900 each, and they were able to cross reference my part number to a comparable spring for $336 each. I'm guessing that's a Chinese clone. It's not that I exactly celebrate the end of the "American Century", or want anyone here at home to lose their job, but I'd have to drive around with blocks of wood between the axle and the frame before I could pay $1800 for a pair of springs.

Now I'm looking to beat the $336. Probably can if I order them thru my old employer, or a friendly local shop.

But other info still welcome!

M1031 07-09-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letz4wheel
That gives me the heebies if you used to work for Walts lol. Elliot if you want to give Northside a call and if I can do anything for ya in the evansville area let me know

How do you know this?!?!? I hear a skeleton rattling around in a closet in the back somewhere...... :lol: Did you work for them too?