School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   '46 Chevy Shorty (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/46-chevy-shorty-6539.html)

Tango 05-26-2011 10:37 AM

Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Still (anxiously) awaiting the arrival of my Shorty, but in the meantime, continue with planning. And besides all the books and literature I have been able to find on the 1-1/2 ton Chevy truck chassis, I have only ordered two parts so far. A repop of the front Chevy emblem (the original was heavily painted over)...and, I found a really clean YOM (Year Of Manufacture) license plate. Turns out that Texas only issued single plates from '42 to '46 (war years), so I only need one to be legal. Still on the hunt for a good 4BT Cummins engine and a 5 or 6 speed tranny. Good thing I'm in no rush, there is a lot to get done (and buy) before this dumplin' is ready for the road.

Given the very small interior I have to work with, I am now designing an enlarged roof-rack system and an extended rear bumper deck. Wondering if anyone has tried or built a slide-out style rear deck that can be extended when parked (?). Hey...if they can do it with whole bedrooms...why not a portable patio for enjoying Margaritas ?

Tango 05-30-2011 10:23 AM

Hey Rudy --- roger that. He has his work cut out for him.

TfallsTrio 06-07-2011 10:47 AM

SWEET shorty !
thats an "everydayer" right there. LOVED the trip thru the old bus <grave/barn> yard. acually looked like theres and old 70's chevy c-model in the background. fairly new to skoolies myself , but it sure looks close.

CHEERS :!:

Tango 06-08-2011 08:24 PM

Hey Tfalls...glad you enjoyed the tour. That fella has quite a little graveyard going there in Utah with a few really interesting buses. Only a couple are drivers, most were parked to be kookie cabin rentals. Not sure what year the Chevy though.

TfallsTrio 06-09-2011 09:46 PM

d'wife and i think they are PERFECT to be turned into cabins and rented out as a dern tourist atractions :lol:
8) ya know, each interior matching the year of the bus,,,, but findin a tv for that '46'll be tough :lol: :lol: :lol:
man that'd be fun to retro furnish :D

Stuff 06-10-2011 10:55 AM

i seriously need to learn how to use that sketch up thing.,.

Tango 06-11-2011 12:48 AM

Hey Stuff --- It took me about 3 days of messing around in their tutorials to get the hang of it, but it's worth it. Great little true 3-D program and perfect for converters. Not to mention...it's FREE!

Tango 06-12-2011 11:21 AM

BTW --- Anyone who has not yet played with the free Google SketchUp software...the pix you see above and from other folks are just "snapshots". What makes this little program so powerful & useful (not to mention very, very cool), is the ability to fully rotate and manipulate whatever you sketch 360 degrees. In other words, you can draw something like a simple top-down floorplan...then turn it to view it from any angle in real time. Like I said before, it's like it was developed just for bus converters. Granted, a little knowledge of blueprints, drawing or drafting comes in handy, but if you spend some time in the video tutorials, just about anyone can be working in it in no time. Go for it!

Stuff 06-12-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango
Hey Stuff --- It took me about 3 days of messing around in their tutorials to get the hang of it, but it's worth it. Great little true 3-D program and perfect for converters. Not to mention...it's FREE!

heh, last time i tried it it was just a free trial then you had to shell out like 500 bucks or something so i deleted it.

Tango 06-12-2011 12:02 PM

Hey Stuff --- the basic version is still free. Only the "Pro" version has any fees associated with it and it is way beyond what we need (or I can understand) for our purposes anyway.