School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   What insurance ?? having problems (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/what-insurance-having-problems-6961.html)

Buckeye0812 09-07-2011 05:22 PM

What insurance ?? having problems

I converted a bus to a tailgater for Ohio State games. Re did the entire inside and what not...well we are having problems getting insurance. We are getting turned down by companies since its not "professionally remodeled". Any advice or tips would be appreciated...i just need some leads.

Skunky Bus 12-26-2011 06:03 PM

Re: What insurance ?? having problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye0812
I converted a bus to a tailgater for Ohio State games. Re did the entire inside and what not...well we are having problems getting insurance. We are getting turned down by companies since its not "professionally remodeled". Any advice or tips would be appreciated...i just need some leads.

Hmm...I've thought about having an electrician do my wiring except that'd be too expensive, but maybe having one inspect my work could be a cheaper alternative so I can fudge a "yes" to the question about professional remodeling. Might catch something I missed.

If you haven't tried State Farm yet, don't waste your time with them. They cancelled another Skoolie.net member's coverage because they anticipated a claim. My girlfriend got a NastyGram from SF that in essence said, "Don't you dare file another claim even when it's beyond your control or we'll dump you." See my post "Opinion: State Farm commercial is a pack of lies" post under the Insurance/Registration forum for more details. You might find other useful information there.

lornaschinske 12-26-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
Hmm...I've thought about having an electrician do my wiring except that'd be too expensive, but maybe having one inspect my work could be a cheaper alternative so I can fudge a "yes" to the question about professional remodeling...

And then they either ask you WHO from their "approved" list of pro converters OR if you have a claim, after several years of collecting your premiums, they deny and cancel you because you lied.

Just bite the bullet, get the minimum from GMAC and get on with it.

Skunky Bus 12-26-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lornaschinske
And then they either ask you WHO from their "approved" list of pro converters OR if you have a claim, after several years of collecting your premiums, they deny and cancel you because you lied.

Just bite the bullet, get the minimum from GMAC and get on with it.

You're right, Lorna! This is exactly why Skoolie.net rocks, because one can bounce ideas off each other, find the good ones and toss the bad ones!

bapos 12-27-2011 11:23 AM

Most of the insurance companies farm out their policies to other companies. Not sure there is any discount to such things. Generally when it takes a couple of steps someone always has their hands in your wallet?

I am a USAA member for my regualr auto but I think they have connections with GEICO. I had them give me a quote and was not impressed. I called GMAC and they did much better than the others. I dont think Texas has and bad and strict of rules as others do.

I would shop it as best you can.

roach711 12-29-2011 09:37 AM

I got a quote from the GMAC website then called a GMAC representative to actually sign up. I was honest when I said the bus had been professionally converted since I get paid to fix/move/build stuff (I only have the seats out so far,but a professional did it, lol). His quote was $35 higher than the website quote so I politely told him I had another company to check then went back to the website to actually signed up there. Final cost was $216 for 6 months of liability only for my E-450 shuttle bus.

The website didn't ask who did the conversion but did mention that there was a discount for the time the bus was "securely" parked in a storage area. You have to call in to a service rep for details on that.

One really goofy thing was that if I went to www.gmacinsurance.com I could sign up for insurance but another link told me I had to call a service rep. Very weird.