School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   how different are short and long bus chassis (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/how-different-are-short-and-long-bus-chassis-8346.html)

adamanderr 02-21-2013 11:48 AM

how different are short and long bus chassis

anyone know just how different short and long bus chassis s are.. i have an old bookmobile that big or bigger than short bus with decrpit chassis and a long bus with super low mileage drive train but body is wrecked ...can i put my body on the new chassis ,shortened?

are most shorties p30 style chassis etc. similiar ?

i know bookmobile had 19.5lt tires and new bus prolly has 22.5....its a 1994 international

thanks

adamanderr 02-26-2013 05:04 PM

Re: how different are short and long bus chassis

seriously 50 replies not one response doubt this is that crazy a question

bansil 02-26-2013 05:19 PM

If it's the same "size" long bus and short bus (width wise), then look at the frame width spacing, most medium duty frames are same width or close and since they are C-channel they just extend the length between suspension points and walla it's longer.

Now notice most bus bodies sit on the frame rails and have clamps that attach them, so if the frames are same width then sure why not.

sit body on and clamp it down,

Now if your short bus is not an 8 foot wide one it won't work as easy since I notice you said P30 that is a 1ton Chevy Van?

so that frame wont be any where as beefy as a full size book mobile

So I dont know if this answered your question, grab a tape measure and scribble some paper

crazycal 03-11-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamanderr
seriously 50 replies not one response doubt this is that crazy a question

Try reading your first post and explain it to me and maybe I can give you an answer that might help you. I'm a little slow.

adamanderr 03-13-2013 12:13 PM

..are most shorter buses on a frame similar to a full size bus...as in running gear like axles and suspension since ive seen some have same engine as big bus i.e. 5.9 cummins but smaller tires.....
or they m\their frames more similar to box/ bread/ step van chassis like the p30...

bansil 03-13-2013 12:20 PM

if you mean a short bus like tygercubs and a longer one like mine, then yes the chassis are similar, if by short bus you mean NOT like a shortend full size then they are different

keith 03-15-2013 03:23 PM

yea one bus is short and one is long that the different.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: one is on a day cab truck with no sleeper and one is on over the road cab w/sleep so a 30 ft is day 35to 40 is an over truck geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez