School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   want just a bit more speed (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/want-just-a-bit-more-speed-8553.html)

opus 06-03-2013 11:00 PM

Re: want just a bit more speed

Thats the correct answer. Rear axle number is on the plate above the door.

lornaschinske 06-05-2013 05:52 PM

Don't forget... the faster you go the longer it takes to stop. Once fully converted, a bus is a very heavy thing. 55 mph is okay on a highway. You may check to see if you have something mechanical, keeping your speed down. We had something on our bus. Had fantastic MPG's coming out west. MPG's sucked after David "fixed" the situation. He will be "unfixing" it. I really don't care to go faster. We need all the MPG's we can get. Diesel is so pricey!

JakeC 06-06-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Don't forget... the faster you go the longer it takes to stop. Once fully converted, a bus is a very heavy thing. 55 mph is okay on a highway. You may check to see if you have something mechanical, keeping your speed down. We had something on our bus. Had fantastic MPG's coming out west. MPG's sucked after David "fixed" the situation. He will be "unfixing" it. I really don't care to go faster. We need all the MPG's we can get. Diesel is so pricey!

Lol...sounds like me. I drove our bus 1 day before I figured out how to "fix" it (in a hotel parking lot in new mexico, lol).

travelinwithus 06-07-2013 12:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did they charge to reflash it?

opus 06-07-2013 05:27 PM

Wow, awesome! I dont have anything electronic so I never thought of that. You are right, 65 is fast enough in something heavy.

JakeC 06-08-2013 12:36 AM

I can clear 70 in mine, but that's at close to 2900 rpms. I don't mind driving it that fast out on the interstate, just don't like spinning the motor that fast.

OP, what size are your tires? I'm assuming by your gear ratio that you do not have 11x22.5 or similar. I would kill for 3.54 :) I'm just confused because with a 3.54 ratio and a typical 42" tire, at 55 your rpms would be INCREDIBLY low to be governed at. Glad the reflash did the trick for you!

Will 06-14-2013 12:43 AM

That 3.54 isn't a usual number for a school bus. A bus with a chip to flash isn't usual either. Most of you, like me, have to find a truck salvage yard with your desired pumpkin and swap them for it. I looked for 2 years and found a 3.73, eventually. It was very worth it.

To be honest, I have a Ford with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I'm glad my bus doesn't have that t444e motor. I just spent a million dollars on that Rube Goldberg injection system on my Ford truck. The Bosch inline pump engine is a Zen garden for me right now.

thrash 08-03-2013 12:48 AM

If you can find the make/model of your axle, chances are you can get a reman diff unit put in it by a truck shop. That's what I did. I have a 3.54 and its great, except when climbing mountains.

I weighed my bus and its right around 20,000 lbs. It's GVWRd at 26xxx and the axles are rated for 28,000.

I weighed it early on in the conversion process (all seats out, floor removed, bus otherwise basically empty) and I think it was around 16,000 lbs.

Point being, you can build a light bus. A bus meant for travelling high school football teams is carrying 40-60 adult sized kids (~200 lbs each) plus an interior, and is travelling at highway speeds.

JakeC 08-03-2013 03:43 PM

Do you know what hp your dt466 is? I have been wanting to put in 3.55's, but I want to be able to pull mountains decently. wondering if 3.73's would be better.

the_experience03 08-04-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeC
Do you know what hp your dt466 is? I have been wanting to put in 3.55's, but I want to be able to pull mountains decently. wondering if 3.73's would be better.

The only solution to your problem is more gears than the average 4 speed skoolie transmission can provide..not that that's impossible. :lol: