School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Skoolie Conversion Projects (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/)
-   -   Senza Legno, Senza Pontilli (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/senza-legno-senza-pontilli-8798.html)

Stu & Filo. T 10-16-2013 11:16 AM

Re: No bastoni, no chiodi ricurvo a due punte

Asking for opinions, neighbor suggested that instead of pulling the panels off the ceiling & re-insulating I should just pull the roof vents off & see if there's any evidence of mold or leakage, if not then just glue carpet to the panels already up there. What do you think? :?

gmarvel 10-17-2013 01:05 AM

I VOTE NOT TO TAKE OFF THE HEADLINER

We took our interior vents off our Crown and found that the two inches between the outer and interior roof areas are packed with insulation. I thought I had been told that Crowns had no insulation in the roof. Obviously, I was wrong. This is very good news. The last thing you want to do is remove hundreds if not thousands of rivets and screws. The framing above the headliner is a web of structural metal designed to support the roof from caving in if the bus rolls over or drops on its roof. It is designed to support 1.5 times its weight if the bus falls upside down (I think from a drop of 20 feet). We intend to put a layer of thin insulation on the interior headliner and then place flexible paneling covered with padding and a high grade vinyl with the look and feel of leather. We believe it will provide sufficient additional insulation and will dampen the exterior and interior noise.

Taking the headliner completely off and then putting spray foam insulation within all the honeycomb compartments up in the roof would certainly be the best option for total insulation value. However, the headache, sweat, tears and carpal tunnel syndrome you would get is not worth it, in my opinion.

Crown roofs are like no other. They are made to last. Dismembering them can be done. But, the cost is too high for the value received, since the roof is already insulated. You have the same model year as my Crown and I have full insulation. The only thing I don't know is if roof insulation was an option, so some late model Crowns might have it and others might not. I just don't know. People with more knowledge about that will have to weight in.

inkblots84 10-17-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmarvel
I VOTE NOT TO TAKE OFF THE HEADLINER

We took our interior vents off our Crown and found that the two inches between the outer and interior roof areas are packed with insulation. I thought I had been told that Crowns had no insulation in the roof. Obviously, I was wrong. This is very good news. The last thing you want to do is remove hundreds if not thousands of rivets and screws. The framing above the headliner is a web of structural metal designed to support the roof from caving in if the bus rolls over or drops on its roof. It is designed to support 1.5 times its weight if the bus falls upside down (I think from a drop of 20 feet). We intend to put a layer of thin insulation on the interior headliner and then place flexible paneling covered with padding and a high grade vinyl with the look and feel of leather. We believe it will provide sufficient additional insulation and will dampen the exterior and interior noise.

Taking the headliner completely off and then putting spray foam insulation within all the honeycomb compartments up in the roof would certainly be the best option for total insulation value. However, the headache, sweat, tears and carpal tunnel syndrome you would get is not worth it, in my opinion.

Crown roofs are like no other. They are made to last. Dismembering them can be done. But, the cost is too high for the value received, since the roof is already insulated. You have the same model year as my Crown and I have full insulation. The only thing I don't know is if roof insulation was an option, so some late model Crowns might have it and others might not. I just don't know. People with more knowledge about that will have to weight in.

I second this and really really hope we have an insulated roof also. We'll be checking that out here shortly.

These buses are built like brick sh#$ houses. Our original plan was to pull the roof down, until we got a crown. I think heavy curtains and a wood stove will do us just fine...

Stu & Filo. T 10-19-2013 12:04 PM

Well it's been 1 week since I brought the Bus home, gutting the interior is a slow process only have the right side done so far, feels like I've ground off 10,000 rivets so far only 100,000 more to go, got the seats all broken down going to take this morning & load all the padding & cushions into the truck so I can take them to the dump

bansil 10-19-2013 12:05 PM

Nice to hear the term "we" :mrgreen:

bansil 10-19-2013 12:06 PM

Unless it's a mouse in your pocket :lol:

bansil 10-19-2013 12:07 PM

is "she" down with the bus yet?

Stu & Filo. T 10-19-2013 12:09 PM

Well the wife is still out of town, she's back east helping her parents with some health issue's their going thru so it's not like she's staying away on purpose but she calls every day to hear about the progress :)

Stu & Filo. T 10-19-2013 12:26 PM

Gotta give the little lady credit tho, I've been a bachaling man for a week now & boy does the house show it 8)

Stu & Filo. T 10-20-2013 10:57 AM

After loading up the truck I stepped into the bus to clean up a little & I had left some windows open & I find a Humming bird had flown inside & couldn't find his way out, poor little guy was so tired from beating himself against the windshield that he crawled right into my hand & let me carry him outside. :(