School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Plumbing, Water and Waste (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/)
-   -   Let's talk dirty - as in Black and Grey water tanks.... (http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/lets-talk-dirty-as-in-black-and-grey-water-tanks-8872.html)

enthe0gen 11-21-2013 10:13 AM

Let's talk dirty - as in Black and Grey water tanks....

:D

Now that i have your attention.....

I am in the process of designing my plumbing system for my skoolie.I've read a few articles about using a combo black/grey tank, since grey water has to be dumped in approved locations in most areas nowadays. Would there be any disadvantages or reasons not to do this? It seems like this would save me $200 or more for the extra storage tank and the hassle plumbing it all together.

I am planning on installing a toilet that is mounted directly over the black water tank (for easy plumbing), and then running my drain from the sink into the combo black/grey storage tank. The only draw back i can think of to this scenario would be the need to purchase a larger tank, since it needs to do double duty (get it!). I'm thinking of using a 40 or 50 gallon tank to accomplish this - would this be big enough for 4 to 6 adults to use boondocking for 3-4 days?

Do any of you have a similar setup? Can anyone think of a reason NOT to do this? As always, your help and suggestions are appreciated.

bansil 11-21-2013 11:51 AM

Re: Let's talk dirty - as in Black and Grey water tanks....

as long as no showers are taken, it might be enough

turf 11-21-2013 02:25 PM

my setup is similar(45 gallon waste combo) and i was planning on 2 people/3days

enthe0gen 11-21-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bansil
as long as no showers are taken, it might be enough

I am planning on having an outside solar shower for most outings. I guess we'll see!

bansil 11-21-2013 03:35 PM

That is what I started with, 2 solar showers and a shower/pottie tent

I plan to use a regular toilet "de-tuned" for water use, so I figured high at 5 gallons of toilet waste for 2 people and a couple inches/gallons of water; so paper and stuff doesn't just ...ugh... stick and harden, so that's about 50 gallons a week(I know it's high better than low)

after dump I plan to add water (fresh would be best, no proteins from grey cooking, washing etc water to stink up the black tank), and this will coat bottom of black tack to help control "stacking")

and for grey, it depends a lot on what we doing? I figure a gallon per night to cook with (pasta, steamed veggies and shell fish etc)

and dish washing 3 or 5 gallons (pure guess) so 50 gallons plus showers etc.

Now so far 90% of our camping has been at FHU sites with bath houses (that is why bath area is so low on the list) I know a lot of folks just pour out strained cooking water so...no discussion on that :wink: )

So it will depends on how you dispose of water, dry camping with a crate under your shower tent is fine in a lot of places...others it is frowned on

So figure out what you think you will need and go a little bigger

nat_ster 11-23-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

That is what I started with, 2 solar showers and a shower/pottie tent

I plan to use a regular toilet "de-tuned" for water use

Let me know how de-tuning that toilet works out for you. A gallon per flush is about as low as I seem to be able to get to work.

However there are porcelain RV toilets that use 1\4 as much water for around $200. Here a low flush regular toilet cost's $100, so the RV one is only twice the price.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/US ... taid=91878
http://www.skoolie.net/attachments/p...6c31d49d3d.jpg

Nat

syke 11-23-2013 08:42 PM

We used that exact toilet. Works great and a fraction of the water usage.

Diesel Dan 11-25-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

...I plan to use a regular toilet "de-tuned" for water use...

I've been wondering about regular household toilets in an RV. Are you at all concerned about the water that remains in the bowl sloshing out when driving?

bansil 11-25-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Quote:

...I plan to use a regular toilet "de-tuned" for water use...

I've been wondering about regular household toilets in an RV. Are you at all concerned about the water that remains in the bowl sloshing out when driving?

I don't think that will be an issue, Most of the time we have a drink or two "just laying around" unless I hit brakes hard they don't really move

I did see were someone had cut a plunger handle down and set it in the bowl(round bellow type) it controlled the slosh, we will have to see