Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Skoolie

The Mobile Homestead

Hi Folks….
In case anyone’s interested, I had to consolidate a bit …so I dropped our website The Mobile Homestead.
Can’t afford for numerous reasons right now to have more than one site …so I kept our Graphics arts site and moved the Mobile Homestead over to it.
Here’s our new Web address.
http://www.graphicsandsuch.com/home/homestead1.htm

Hopefully there’s still some useful info that someone can use there…
Have a great Day
Michael & Millie Shaw

Old 04-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Hi Michael,

I saw that yesterday when I visited the site (which I do a few times a week). I wish you all the best and hope your health and finances both recover.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
"Hopefully there’s still some useful info that someone can use there… "
Michael,
Are you kidding? Your Latcho Drom material reads like a "how to" bus conversion bible. The information there is presented in a chronological step by step, easy to use format and the photos are very helpful. Please do whatever you can to keep that info web accessible.
Also, it occurs to me that your physical condition may be exacerbated by the weather on your island prison. I hope you can transition to a healthier climate. Keep the faith, Brother. We're pullin' for ya'.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Have you started the build up of your bus yet? I was thinking that one of those truck bed camper would fit right on that cut out of yours. The kind that you put in the bed of a full size pickup.

I'm sure you've thought of this already but I thought I'd mention it as a way to save you a lot of work.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Skoolie

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys….

Thanks Philbus…
I did think about just buying a cab-over camper and bolting it down, but once I took some careful measurements …I realized it just wouldn’t work for us, not only from an aesthetics viewpoint but also from a making things fit one.
That’s not to say this couldn’t be done …of course it could.
I could seal up the drivers/passenger area …and modify the rear area to carry a cabover . But that’s not what I’m going for.
Although I do have to say it would look pretty cool and outdoorsy if someone did modify their skoolie to carry a camper and tow a trailer….like this very cool rig…

[/img]http://www.graphicsandsuch.com/home/bus ... s/4900.jpg[img]

Here’s a drawing from Roger Beck (wrote the great Book Some Turtles Have Nice Shells )…this shows what I’m leaning toward.
[/img]http://www.graphicsandsuch.com/images/trv4.jpg[img]

I want something really similar to Roger’s setup …Old school Rolling Homes look.
There’s no realistic way for us to build the trailer here in Sitka …but at least the really expensive part of the trailer project is already dealt with. We’ve got mostly everything that a person would need to build a top of the line 5th wheel stored away …and it wont be that hard or expensive to finish her up down in Oregon.

Now if I could just find the time to start building on our bus , which has to be finished here…that’d be great.
The weather is finally getting a bit better and I have mostly all the wood, siding ,shingles etc stored to do this project…
But unfortunately my awful job at Radio Shack and my Graphic Arts business is taking up just about every minute of my day ….
I am working on figuring this out . I told my extremely evil & certifiably crazy Boss I quit a few weeks ago …but I’m still there working & waiting for the procrastinating SOB to hire someone else to take my place.
My old and pretty nice boss at the tourist shop said he’d take me back right away …so that’s a good thing.
If things work out I’m hoping I can find some time this summer to work on the bus . I really need to get her done.

[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Skoolie

heres the pics ...not sure what happened?

« new job | magic bus »