Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: tc2000 fe
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: 93 Thompson body flat nose wiring

do as i did ,, tie all the rear lights into one hot line and drop it down to the backup lights hot line and ,do the same to the fornt, tie them all into one and drop a line down to your fuse box or dash and put a switch.....how hard can that be ??? don't need no wireing diagram,just make sure you tape the old lines up or put a wire nut on each one ..

fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Shouldnt there be relays involved? Can your idea handle them being all on at one time?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Shouldnt there be relays involved? Can your idea handle them being all on at one time?
For the off road lights, there should definitely be relays involved. I've attached a picture of a wiring diagram that I drew up really quick. For the wire that goes from the accessory solenoid to your switch, and from the switch side ground of the relay, it can be a small gauge wire since it doesn't carry much amperage. The other wiring, from the accessory solenoid to the relay's load terminals, and out to the lights themselves, use something decent sized. Typically, the stock wires to the warning lights are around 14ga, but that is really a bit small. If it were me, I'd go with at least 12 or maybe even 10ga for max brightness. Wiring your lights up this way would make them able to turn on only when the engine is running or the key is in accessory position. If you want them to be able to come on without the key, then tap into the battery side of the accessory solenoid instead of the load side.

Edited to add that if you run new larger wires for the off road lights, you would probably want to put some kind of fuse inline between the accessory solenoid and the relay.

As far as using any of the warning lights for turn signals, I would advise against that if they are sealed beams. There are laws governing the amount of candlepower (CP) that a light facing rearward or a turn signal can put out - normally 32 CP, which is what bulbs such as 1156, and the high filament of 1157 put out. If you plan on using the sealed beam warning lights as turn signals, you are pretty much guaranteed a ticket.

My bus had warning lights just below the windshield that use the same 7-inch lens as the upper warning lights but used 1156 bulbs instead of sealed beams. If you could replace the sealed beam lights that you want to use as turn signals with these lower powered lights, I'm sure it would be perfectly legal. These are the lights you are looking for: Weldon. Scroll down to the 1000-1010 Series if you want lights that use regular 1156 bulbs. If you want lights with black bases, you would want the 1010-1100-xx. Baader Brown is also an OEM light manufacturer for buses.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0322.JPG  

https://i746.photobucket.com/albums/x...G_0164link.jpg
Hearse Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: flatnosed
Chassis: amtran/bluebird/thomas
Engine: diesel

Is it possible that the question( by the OP) was to accomplish the task without running new wiring to the flasher lights?

I do not know the law - but if you use the same lens and bulbs that are used as flashers - why would that not be suitable for a blinker?

And finally I am no electrician (and I REALLY am just asking) but would the following work to make the flashers function as blinkers?
1) Replace the switch that turns on the flashers with a relay
2) Wire the relay to the turn signal switch
3) Eliminate the flasher "can" relay that makes the flashers flash.
attachment=0]Slide1.JPG[/attachment]
Attached Thumbnails
Slide1.JPG  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

If the turn signal lamp center line is over 83 inches above the roadway, it's actually not legal. DOT personnel might know, but the average law enforcer might not. I posted the gist of the Federal lighting regulations in an earlier thread two years ago:
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...&t=4080#p33820

Do what you want, it's your bus, I just want you to be aware in case you want to avoid possible unwanted trouble.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

RB that is good information to know.

I am still wondering if that wiring change would work. I am sure some member will know or can suggest an alternative that will work.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

my diagram will not work because it will light up both port and starboard lights- not what you want in a turn signal indicator...

how about high brake lights?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

that will work if you have enough current capacity in the wires/fuse/flasher to handle the added draw.

I think you could rig it up and try it to see if it blows the fuse
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
If the turn signal lamp center line is over 83 inches above the roadway, it's actually not legal. DOT personnel might know, but the average law enforcer might not. I posted the gist of the Federal lighting regulations in an earlier thread two years ago:
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...&t=4080#p33820

Do what you want, it's your bus, I just want you to be aware in case you want to avoid possible unwanted trouble.
I have seen & driven MANY shuttle buses with hi-mounted turn signals! Champion is usually the body company. Also seen them (mounted at the same height as the DOT clearance lights) on Stepvans, cargo trailers, and coach buses.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote