Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Catalytic heaters

My propane heater works fine as long as I am happy with on full or off. I'm not. Have any of you used a catalytic heater? If so, how was it? I gather the things heat up "things" but not the air directly. Does the air ever seem warm? Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

I bought a portable unit for emergencies, it is a "Sun Rite Tag-Along," sort of like the Mr. Buddy portables. It fits one small Coleman-sized bottle inside, but I bought an adapter, hose, and in-line filters (important) to use 20 lb BBQ tanks.

I used it once. The automatic "keep full" policy of the furnace fuel supplier did not adjust for the colder weather last winter, and we ran out one day for at least 12 hours. I set up the portable in the kitchen, and the air around it did seem warm, though understandably it did not heat the entire house.

We have the standard RV furnace in our camper, which alternates between freezing and roasting when used on a cold Columbus Day night. Between the noise and the battery drain, I am inclined to use the portable catalytic on the next cold-weather trip.

If I do continue to use the RV furnace, one project might be to move the thermostat next to my bunk, both for ease of adjustment and also sensing the temperature near where we actually are at night.

I have read the reports of a lot of full-timers who spend some time boondocking installing the built-in catalytic "Wave" heaters instead of using an RV furnace. I have not heard anyone complain about them.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Thanks Redbear. Hurry up and take that next cold weather trip and use your "Sun Rite Tag-Along" so you can report back to us all as to how it went. How's that for being pushy? Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Thanks Redbear. Hurry up and take that next cold weather trip and use your "Sun Rite Tag-Along" so you can report back to us all as to how it went. How's that for being pushy? Jack
I may not have to go on a trip. As of yesterday morning, the GWG (Gummint Weather Guessers) were predicting lows of -5° to -19° F for Wednesday night, with highs of 2° to 13° F on Thursday.

Add in wind chill, and they are predicting the equivalent of -20° to -40° F.

If the winds are anything like those last night, there may possibly be no power to run the furnace . . . . .
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote