Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3L T444E
Where to mount the propane tank

We just got our bus!!!!
Seats are out now the fun begins.
There are 3 battery boxes and none of them are deep enough for a propane tank, even a horizontal one. So where is the best place to mount the tank? And where to buy a bracket?
Rats one of the battery boxes was right close to where all the propane was going to be used. Not sure if I should try to modify the box. Seems complex to do that.

Leslie

lbranin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Where to mount the propane tank

A 20lb tank will just barely fit under the floor of the bus. The collars will have to be situated just right to fall in between the low areas of the framing. My plan is to take an old hitchhaul (traded my heavy hitchhaul for Das Mel's lighter weight hitchhaul), widen it in depth so that I can fit two tanks side-by-side. Hang it off the beams and the rib support of the floor (probably with threaded rod & "U" or "J" bolts...not sure) bolt the edge of the base thru the bottom rub rail with bolts. Cut a hole in the side to accept an expanded steel mesh door panel. The floor of the hitchhaul is expanded metal as well. Probably use a piece of Deckover coated OSB (roofing/subfloor) to box in the sides/back to protect from road debris. The hitchhaul may hang down an inch or so below the rubrail on the sidewall. Just like the fuel tank. Threaded rod and "J" bolts will hold the tanks to the expanded metal mesh floor of the LP locker. Tanks will be on a manifold feeding a single Marshall Excelsior MEGR-9950 2-Stage Regulator that we bought thru Amazon. Black iron pipe will feed all the appliances (pipe thru floor, flexible gas line from pipe to appliance). LP locker will be hung on the passenger rear side. I need to be able to carry at least 5 20lb LP tanks
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
A 20lb tank will just barely fit under the floor of the bus. The collars will have to be situated just right to fall in between the low areas of the framing. My plan is to take an old hitchhaul (traded my heavy hitchhaul for Das Mel's lighter weight hitchhaul), widen it in depth so that I can fit two tanks side-by-side. Hang it off the beams and the rib support of the floor (probably with threaded rod & "U" or "J" bolts...not sure) bolt the edge of the base thru the bottom rub rail with bolts. Cut a hole in the side to accept an expanded steel mesh door panel. The floor of the hitchhaul is expanded metal as well. Probably use a piece of Deckover coated OSB (roofing/subfloor) to box in the sides/back to protect from road debris. The hitchhaul may hang down an inch or so below the rubrail on the sidewall. Just like the fuel tank. Threaded rod and "J" bolts will hold the tanks to the expanded metal mesh floor of the LP locker. Tanks will be on a manifold feeding a single Marshall Excelsior MEGR-9950 2-Stage Regulator that we bought thru Amazon. Black iron pipe will feed all the appliances (pipe thru floor, flexible gas line from pipe to appliance). LP locker will be hung on the passenger rear side. I need to be able to carry at least 5 20lb LP tanks

Post a picture! This sounds super cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kennythebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

I put a permanent 80 lb tank, and an additional 3 20lb portable tanks in the front compartment of my thomas RE safty liner. I used steel straping for the RV tank. They will fit under any normal bus.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
I'm going to build a metal box tall enough for 20lb tanks and have it extend all the way back to the chassis, with holes in the bottom to prevent possible propane buildup. It'll be behind the rear axle between the water heater and a place to store a small generator. I'l also add mud flaps to prevent road debris from damaging these boxes.

I know there are also large ASME tanks that mount directly to the chassis, but everytime you fill it you have to drive the whole vehicle there and that's too much of a pain for me.
wendysdrivethrudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I'm sure most know this, but. . .

It's OK to store and transport vertical tanks on their side, but **never** operate them in a position for which they aren't designed.

You risk spitting liquid fuel out to an appliance designed for vapour (Boom Bad!!)

It is possible to design and build tanks that will work in both positions, but that is not practical nor legal.

And horizontal tanks will be "keyed" to a specific point being at the bottom.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Some of NFPA 1192's stipulations are of questionable relevancy to self-converted buses, but its requirement to mount propane tanks or cylinders between the wheelbase makes sense to me. It always makes me very nervous to see, let alone drive anywhere near, RVs and campers with propane cylinders on the back bumper - what would happen in a collision there?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Just change the valve for the one with correct position... however is easier n less hassle just to buy tank with proper internals...
Old 07-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Please keep in mind to follow your local transportation of dangerous goods policies. In alberta canada you may have 5 tanks of propane on your vehicle as long as the stickers on the tanks are visible but any more after that you need stickers and warning placards on your vehicle.

I know the chances of you being stopped are slim though.
also know some ferries will not let you on if you have over 65 lbs of propane storage.

until i can afford to build under mounted storage to place horizontal tanks im simply planning on keeping them underneath the kitchen cabinet. i also plan on having a propane, carbon monoxide, and smoke detector combination unit just in case.
12equiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

very good on the monitors...
Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 AM   #11

Also remember propane is heavier than air will collect in the lowest place on the bus. If that area does not drain it could be a fire hazard.
Beanrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Some of NFPA 1192's stipulations are of questionable relevancy to self-converted buses, but its requirement to mount propane tanks or cylinders between the wheelbase makes sense to me. It always makes me very nervous to see, let alone drive anywhere near, RVs and campers with propane cylinders on the back bumper - what would happen in a collision there?

John
If some drunk T bones your bus, the lower skirting on the bus isn’t gonna protect the tanks. Your going to have to build a steel cage to hold the tanks to protect them if your worried about someone hitting you.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #13

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 liter Powerstroke Diesel
Rated Cap: IDK
Look into one of these. This is currently mounted on the frame of my 1992 F150. It's 30 gallons. I'll be moving it to my shuttle bus soon as I get back to the family ranch.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #14

Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 liter Powerstroke Diesel
Rated Cap: IDK