Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Progressive has online bus conversion options

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Even if they do…. if you cancel they have to refund the portion you don't use.
Yeah, I guess. I just don't see them putting up with that too long until they're like "screw buses". just my 2cents. I'm jsut happy to be legal after so long.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I am sure people come in and out frequently. I am still fighting my issues and continue to try to get it converted enough to pass as a motor home by whatever Nazi underwriter that will review it? After thinking about this and I am sure its a money thing… but why is it that you will insure my bus as a private commercial no load carrying unit but yet you won't insure it as a stripped out non converted bus?

Doesn't make sense to me. I throw those situations back at them and they really get pissed cause it makes them look foolish even though the voice Im talking to is not a decision maker?
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
Bus Geek

I understand your frustration. I'm with USAA for my auto insurance, and have had horrible verbal battles with them over the course of many years. I hate insurance in general, just on principle.
But yeah- It is a money thing. Isn't everything these days?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I was with USAA as well. They kept raising my rate. Love the insurance but not when I can find it less expensive.

I moved to national general in the thoughts that if I have my auto with them that when the bus is finished and the Nazis approve it that it will be all under one place? Thats what Im hoping for. Guess we will see
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #45
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 6CT8.3
Rated Cap: 76
Washington -

Called RVA Insurance and talked to a dude named Martin, said I had a 40' Blue Bird Class A that I needed liability only for. He wasn't an idiot and informed me that the only blue bird they insure is Wanderlodge, which retailed at well over my stated value of 2800, plus they hadn't made them since the 70s, and since I couldn't give him a Wanderlodge model number he basically knew what was going on and waited for me to end the phone call with my dignity intact.

Went to progressive, purchased a policy for ~230/yr, about ~30/mo, see attached photo. Will update when/if cancelled.
Attached Thumbnails
progins.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #46
Bus Nut

I've been cancelled 3 times now by Progressive. Enough. Now I'm insured by Farm Bureau on all my stuff (house, cars, bus and motorhome) for a very good rate.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I went with Good Sam and they are underwritten by American General. I got a discount by signing up at the same time (over the phone) with Good Sam. It gives me roadside assistance, club benefits and a window sticker that shows everyone I am a member "woohoo!". The rate wasn't bad. Now, if I could just sell my car and house, we would be living the senior's life.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #48
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
i filled the online form for rva. got the quote for $2850 a year. WTF? the quote was supposedly underwritten by national general. are the few conversion insurers starting to gouge or was this a mistake?

will be checking with good sam today.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
i filled the online form for rva. got the quote for $2850 a year. WTF? the quote was supposedly underwritten by national general. are the few conversion insurers starting to gouge or was this a mistake?

will be checking with good sam today.
Is that for full coverage ??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #50
Site Team

no, it was minimum liability. something going on heere. few members on this and other forums will answer a direct question about bus conversion insurance. ALL online quotes i have requested have been over $2000 per year for liability only. one company wanted pictures and a phone call to give me a quote. i replied i only wanted a quote, which after all, is an estimate untill criteria has been met. said company replied by saying "some companies will not insure a bus conversion.

talk about a run around.

it would be really nice if the members here would give up the info to help everyone else by posting specifics like
bus year/make/model
converted/in progress/still a bus
quoted amount, term, coverage. as in $__________ for ______months

iirc, lorna asked for this some time ago in a poll format and no one posted.
thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
Bus Geek

I've given up plenty of info on here.
I often wonder if anyone is listening. When dealing with insurance I sound like a broken record on here.
As far as MY experience, living in Fl, and calling around ins companies on and off for a decade- NO ONE is gong to insure an unconverted bus as an RV. Commercial vehicle insurance is how I had to go. I tried like hell but no one would budge without pictures, and some even wanted receipts. Some said they only cover professionally done conversions from licensed shops.
I also couldn't find ANYONE who would write a liability only policy.
It varies state to state. Bansil apparently can pretty much have his way at the dmv office and with insurance.
This stuff varies so much from state to state and person to person, I'm not sure how much help we can be. All I can suggest to anyone is get the vin of something FIRST, then call around about insurance before taking ownership, or you could have a headache or two on your hands.
I paid a little over 700 for a year of "good" coverage on a commercial policy. I bought the minimum Progressive would allow. I hate insurance.
On that note- I can't afford health insurance, so somehow I have to pay the irs a penalty for being too poor. What a friggin joke.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
no, it was minimum liability. something going on heere. few members on this and other forums will answer a direct question about bus conversion insurance. ALL online quotes i have requested have been over $2000 per year for liability only. one company wanted pictures and a phone call to give me a quote. i replied i only wanted a quote, which after all, is an estimate untill criteria has been met. said company replied by saying "some companies will not insure a bus conversion.

talk about a run around.

it would be really nice if the members here would give up the info to help everyone else by posting specifics like
bus year/make/model
converted/in progress/still a bus
quoted amount, term, coverage. as in $__________ for ______months

iirc, lorna asked for this some time ago in a poll format and no one posted.
thanks
Good limit liability only. Conv. in progress but titled as an RV. $116 per year, same as my 'real' RV. Farm Bureau AZ.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Good Sam said they would sell me a GMAC policy for 380 a year once I could send them pics of a "bus fully converted to RV". They said they'd send an agent to take their own pictures but only after I sent them a few to show how far the conversion goes.
It needs-
Permanent sleeping area with bed
Kitchen with permanent stove and fixtures
Toilet AND shower
Electrical
Seating for less than ten.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Good Sam said they would sell me a GMAC policy for 380 a year once I could send them pics of a "bus fully converted to RV". They said they'd send an agent to take their own pictures but only after I sent them a few to show how far the conversion goes.
It needs-
Permanent sleeping area with bed
Kitchen with permanent stove and fixtures
Toilet AND shower
Electrical
Seating for less than ten.
that is all i have been asking them, to give me a quote as if it was converted, and their requirments. none have replied. did good sam reply via email, or did ya have to call them?

thank you.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Good limit liability only. Conv. in progress but titled as an RV. $116 per year, same as my 'real' RV. Farm Bureau AZ.
thanks dond. will be calling the farm bureau here in lowsyana
Old 01-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
that is all i have been asking them, to give me a quote as if it was converted, and their requirments. none have replied. did good sam reply via email, or did ya have to call them?

thank you.
Definitely called them. The online routes for ins on these buses quit working a few months ago.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
thanks dond. will be calling the farm bureau here in lowsyana
Remember that quotes are going to vary from state to state.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5 speed Manual
Rated Cap: 35
Do you have a number for your broker, I am definetely having trouble finding insurance on my 1999 Thomas
LPTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Are you in Florida? Mine only works within the state.
Here is their #. THey can help if youre a Fl residenthttp://www.blanchardinsurance.com/
ask for Char.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #60

Progressive Will sale You Insurance..I know I Call...
MR Walt is offline   Reply With Quote