Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
Bluebird perforated roof panels - Why?

My International Bluebird has perforated roof panels in the first two rows but then solid panels in the rest of the bus. Is that just cosmetic or is there a reason for it?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I think it is there to allow for some sound dampering. The front of my old Carpenter had the same thing and sound was bit less "bouncy" up front.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

No perforation was the standard.

Perf in the first few panels was the next step up in options.

Perf the full length was/is the top option.

It makes a huge difference in noise level inside the bus.

Before perf some OEM's offered a pebble grain paint option for the ceiling panels. It was quieter than shiny paint but not nearly as effective as perf.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The perforated ceiling panels also allow dust to fall on you from that yucky yellow fiberglass insulation.

They also allow air flow through the inner skin to that roof vent on top of the blue bird buses. Other manufactures may have the vent to, I'm not sure.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

My bus had the full roof perforated, was much quieter than my last bus with solid metal.
I dont have any vents in the roof of my bus, but even without it gives the moisture that soaks into the fiberglass insulation somewhere to go.
My bus leaks like crazy down the walls from the factory sheetmetal being installed where water that runs down the side of the bus goes rite inside instead of running to the outside of the next panel.
Even with this crappy build there is very little rust inside. Its a north dakota/ montana bluebird pusher and has seen plenty of weather

I think the greatest plus of the perforated roof is just that it allows the walls to breathe