Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird
Engine: 6.2L Chevrolet Diesel V8
Rated Cap: Lucky 13
Question Weird Turn Signal/Backup Alarm Issue!!!

A recent purchase, my 1989 Chevy p3o short bus is in tip top shape. Except for one problem. First of all, the runners, headlights/brights and brake lights work. The problem occurred when I was doing a light check and found that the turn signals were not signaling. Thinking that this was a routine fuse, connection, or bulb issue, I started with the fuse panel. AHA! I said...A burnt 15 turn signal/backup fuse, an easy fix. I replaced the fuse and started the engine. Immediately, the backup alarm came on despite the bus being in park and remained on in drive as well. In addition, the engine seemed to be throttling higher or possibly the starter is engaging unnecessarily after starting. When I removed the new fuse the engine ran normally and the backup alarm and turn signals did not work (obviously). Any thoughts? Crossed Wires?

quivahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Skoolie

Do you have a wheelchair lift? Some of these are run by the PTO and they almost all had warning buzzers and would usually not engage unless the bus was in park. Could be that the lift has a problem, burned out that fuse, and when you replaced it you just enabled the problem again.

Just guessing, but seems logical. Or you got some weird wiring going on, possibly both.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I do indeed have a wheelchair lift. Would it be safe to just disconnect the wheelchair lift? I haven't had to grapple with one, mechanically speaking, before. I think starting there is a good plan. The only buzzer I've encountered is the safety buzzer for the doors but the beeping is consistent.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

You should be just fine disconnecting the wheelchair lift safety wise. Just make sure you dont have any dangling wires, etc. Also be sure to disconnect your battery before messing with anything you're not sure about.

Now I cant promise that unhooking it will solve any or all of your problems, but its a good start for troubleshooting.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your input...the lift was on it's own battery operated system and came out with little trouble. Pretty much down to tracing wires, really the only tried and true method...
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Skoolie

Yep, probably a lot of safety stuff on that bus you don't need anymore, parking break interrupts for the lift, safety buzzers and such.