Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: How "Wired" is your skoolie ?

I use a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 EVDO router as my central hub, plugged in to a Verizon UM150 USB EVDO modem which is then passed through a Wilson amplifier and runs to an external antenna tied to my mirror. Luckily my mirrors have a heated option so I ran the mini-coaxial cable through the same hole as the mirror power cords. I use this for an always-on internet connection.

I have a Garmin CS60x GPS unit which is also plugged in via USB to the Cradlepoint router which tracks and records active GPS information and can upload that information to the web in real time.

I use this equipment because it keeps an extremely low power consumption over running an actual server.

I also use a Buffalo TeraStation 2-Pro to keep a 2 TB Raided Network attached storage (NAS). I use Raid so I have only 1.5 TB available. I use it not only to keep logs of GPS locations, but also have several TRENDnet TV-IP201W wireless ip cameras which record images to the NAS. When I was developing the bus, I used this setup to take time-lapse photography of major developments (seat removal / window removal / floor cleanup / floor installation, etc...)

I would like to add an actual server to this setup, and was thinking about an eeepc because of its extremely low power consumption, but have not had the money to invest in one, nor the actual need of it to justify its purchase.

The next sensors I would like to add would be power consumption and generation. It would be neat to have my GPS log correlated with solar panel input so I could create my own type of solar power generation temperature map for the U.S. Although, I would also love to install something to measure and record inside and outside temperatures and other weather conditions as well. Again, money and justification being the major limitation, not to mention the responsibility to work on the carpentry of the bus over any geek-factors.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I...uh...I use a laptop and park outside restaurants or on residential streets pirating a connection as I can. Every day it gets easier and easier to find a good signal.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I...uh...I use a laptop and park outside restaurants or on residential streets pirating a connection as I can. Every day it gets easier and easier to find a good signal.
Get yourself a cantenna and you will be able to get a better signal.
http://www.cantenna.com/
Wildcatbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Get yourself a cantenna and you will be able to get a better signal.
http://www.cantenna.com/
I used to do that restaurant and residential street thing before getting the sprint card. I also have used the cantenna with a orinoco gold card. I have also used a usb alfa wireless unit. The cantenna is nice but the biggest thing you need to do is to have some kind of external antenna on the outside for better signal. I did give my alfa unit away to the brother with a little mag antenna so he can use it on his bus and he does like it compared to the internal laptop wireless card as he gets far more wireless signals.

I would point out that I don't see a problem with using a open signal at a house or where ever you park. As long as you are using it for light internet surfing and/or emal without downloading mega files and tying up their system. If you are getting in to their router or even their computer then it changes. Some people consider this stealing internet. I wouldn't brag about it too much. Myself I figure it isn't locked so they are offering it to those around them for no cost.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote