Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: International DT466
Rated Cap: 72
The observatory *Name change!

These are the two buses that I purchased for about $2000 ($900 and $1100 I think) from our local school district. Having two is just plain crazy, but who passes up prices like that. With them back to back you can walk between the two doors via gangplank.

THIS IS THE DOCUMENTATION OF BUS #10~Bus number 1 to follow later in another post.

Obviously, to begin I removed several seats, turned them around so they would face eachother and created couches and seating areas with tables. When I started I had NO idea what I wanted it to look like, so I simply played with the seats for a couple months to get the arrangement I liked. Its alot like playing with legos, but more like building a BIG fort! I am still using all the bus seat bottoms for the tables and the bed area which can be arranged into two twins, one full king couch bed, two couches, or two office work stations. I used waterbed drawers to support the bed and seats, offering modular storage space and living quarters.

I will be installing a small wet bar/kitchen, complete with custom blenders and Bullet installation directly into the table. It will also provide fridge/freezer and small single bar sink. The outside storage doors can be opened level to accomodate a place for an outdoor kitchen and propane grills right at the perfect level for cooking. This bus houses the main living quarters and media center, while the other will house other amenenties, office space, and art/design studio. A gang plank connects the two rear ends and a plastic "greenhouse" tunnel will be devised to keep out the elements.

The interior color scheme is in the red, green, purple ...that is seen on the velour pillows on the bed. Vinyl and velour-those are the only two materials (aside from temporary bedding). Stained and epoxyed wood and metal are the hard elements.

The reason I changed the name was because I have decided to join the new steampunk art movement. Please google it, its quite an amazing new way of thinking. The bus is going to be named the observatory. The exterior will aslo follow the creativity of this fashionable movement. Maybe even with gears set into the sides of the bus. It might look like a time machine...
Attached Thumbnails
buses.jpg   Bus and beyond 019small.jpg   Bus and beyond 037small.jpg  

TikiBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: The Observatory

This is the modular rear end seating and bedding

In the first post you can see the couch bed full size and ready for sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus and beyond 032small.jpg   Bus and beyond 034small.jpg   Bus and beyond 027small.jpg  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: TIKIBUS

Welcome to the forums.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Welcome you should find lots of ideas and help here.

Please post pics as you convert.

Xtevan
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Have you actually tried the back to back bus train thing out? I am very curious to how you would link them together.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Re: The observatory *Name change!

I haven't tried the bus train with the plastic yet to keep out the elements, but it will be pretty simple with poly greenhouse parts and a double wall. I'm going to get an Edenpure heater for the bus, anybody heard of them? It comes from biotech research. It's said to be pretty good. I'm so dedicated to making this bus a work of art that Im sleeping in 24-31 deg. nights
Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

DO NOT BUY AN EDENPURE HEATER FROM BIOTECH RESEARCH!!! I just insulated a lot of the bus and got the heater for $397 Its got a 60-day warranty, but I dont think it could even heat a short bus during the winter. It only has the power, after running for hours to heat the bus about 10 degrees. They are not as good as they say...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiBus
DO NOT BUY AN EDENPURE HEATER FROM BIOTECH RESEARCH!!! I just insulated a lot of the bus and got the heater for $397 Its got a 60-day warranty, but I dont think it could even heat a short bus during the winter. It only has the power, after running for hours to heat the bus about 10 degrees. They are not as good as they say...
I looked at their website a few months ago after hearing about it on Paul Harvey. It didn't take me long to figure out the whole thing was a scam. You get no more heat out of them than you would any other electric space heater.

The way it claims to "save" money is by letting you lower the heat of your whole-house furnace and use their heater in the room you're occupying. By so doing your overall heating bill will be less. But this is true of ANY space heater you use in the same way. If you plan to use this heater all by itself it will do no more for you than any other electric space heater.

As far as electric space heaters go, my opinion is that you can't beat a good old oil-filled radiator heater. They don't get too hot, have less risk of fire than other portable electric heaters. And you can get a good one for $50-75. If you can send that one back, I would.

-Ray
Old 11-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

yep, I am definately sending this heater back, I like the idea of the oil radiators, we had one, but it didnt work. Gonna have to try another one. Or just go with the small soapstone stove I want to install in the front-middle of the bus under the front hatch...