Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Help Me Purchase Skoolie Materials!?

Hi there!

I recently purchased a 36' long. 95' Int and am converting it to live in. I live in San Francisco, CA and the bus is parked just outside of the city.

I'm looking for someone to help me accelerate the speed that this conversion happens. I have friends who will help me build together the home, I have all the tools I think I'd need from a contractor friend and he is even wiling to help with the build.

However, I have to do all the thinking and figuring out what to buy - and thinking isn't my strong suite ;). I'm looking for someone to help me make all the right purchases in terms of supplies for my bus: everything for electrical, toilet, shower and all the necessary parts to make for a smoother building process.

I'm looking for a trusted consultant to help me spend my money wisely and efficiently so that I can invite a few other trusted people to help me actually build it as quickly as possible. I am wiling to compensate you for your time of course, let me know what you think is fair. The most ideal situation is for someone to help determine what I will buy in the order of what will get built over the next few weekends. I know some very skilled contractors and the best way for me to make the most use of their time actually building is to have all the ready supplies to do craft with (otherwise, I'd be holding them back and that would suck!).

I wish I could do this myself, but my job is just incredibly demanding right now and I have to focus all of my mental energy there. I appreciate the community here and thank your for all of your inspiration. I am a 27 year old young professional who will be living a pretty cool lifestyle with this project is done and I can't wait to finish it! Thanks for any help.

Danny

grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Help Me Purchase Skoolie Materials!?

I would think the trusted contractors would be your best bet. If you have no idea what to tell them, they will have no idea what you want. The thing about a skoolie is most of us have no money, we have ideas and many levels of ability. Most of us think outside the box on more levels than just a skoolie. If they are contractors that only want to do things to "code" you may be in for a long and expensive ride. In the end a skoolie is an individual, none are alike and very few are actually built to accomplish the same thing. Building a skoolie is not like building a house. The supplies for the most part can be bought at any lumber/hardware/big box store. Plumbing is better if you don't use rv stuff, it's pretty cheap. Even on some of the high dollar stuff.About the only thing you can't buy any where else is "RV" windows, but you don't even have to use those. Only if you want it to "look" like an RV. The thing is we can't help you with the "ideas" you have to have those on your own.
There are some very good builders on this forum. If you show two of them a picture and say. "I want it to look like this" I guarantee that you would get a different materials list and assembly would be different. That's not bad, it's just the way it is.
We can't do your thinking. If you show us an idea (we love pictures) you may or may not get a dozen ideas on how to build it. That pretty much depends on how much interest we have in what you are doing. At this point my advise is buy one already finished, or buy a motor home.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
... we love pictures...
That's putting it mildly.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I am close by but sorry I can't help. I'm not to good in the thinking dept. either. It makes my brain hurt.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Call me and we can talk

Frank in Idaho.........208 423 59 six 9
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Your post was reported. I thought no big deal until I read all your posts, All the same thing about selling your bus. Bye.
jcjoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I would think the trusted contractors would be your best bet. If you have no idea what to tell them, they will have no idea what you want. The thing about a skoolie is most of us have no money, we have ideas and many levels of ability. Most of us think outside the box on more levels than just a skoolie. If they are contractors that only want to do things to "code" you may be in for a long and expensive ride. In the end a skoolie is an individual, none are alike and very few are actually built to accomplish the same thing. Building a skoolie is not like building a house. The supplies for the most part can be bought at any lumber/hardware/big box store. Plumbing is better if you don't use rv stuff, it's pretty cheap. Even on some of the high dollar stuff.About the only thing you can't buy any where else is "RV" windows, but you don't even have to use those. Only if you want it to "look" like an RV. The thing is we can't help you with the "ideas" you have to have those on your own.
There are some very good builders on this forum. If you show two of them a picture and say. "I want it to look like this" I guarantee that you would get a different materials list and assembly would be different. That's not bad, it's just the way it is.
We can't do your thinking. If you show us an idea (we love pictures) you may or may not get a dozen ideas on how to build it. That pretty much depends on how much interest we have in what you are doing. At this point my advise is buy one already finished, or buy a motor home.
I agree completely.....This is a DIY situation. Your skills, ideas, creativity, etc. are what "Skoolie" is all about. We have many dreams and visualizations about what the final bus will look like when finished and about all of the fun we'll have with it......But the most satisfying feeling we have is knowing that we've manifested our dream into reality. Only you can create your own dream.....nobody can dream for you.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Anyone notice how much that JCJoiner guy keeps posting tryin to sell his bus? Can we kick this person outta here? I thought we had a classifieds for a reason!
Anyway, if you want to pay someone to dream for ya, I'd be more than happy to help!
I've done this a few times and I've owned over 25 buses in my life, and Im only 28 ;)
Send me a message if you're interested!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
And Frank in Idaho.............I've contacted or attempted to contact you several times with regard the engineless Crown..............do you still have that for sale.............or is it sold... I also called but no response......