Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Clotheslines are great - but only most of the time. There are plenty of people that can't use them. I believe Lorna already posted about the dust blowing in the desert-Southwest and taking in muddy clothes off the line. There are also lots of places (like where I live) where it's just too damp and tree-covered. Clothes can literally mildew right on the line even on a summer day. I love living in the woods, but every place has its drawbacks, I guess. I get all the free fish I can pull out of the pond next door - and all the free algae too!

taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Those are some good points, Taskswap!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Clotheslines are great when you have nothing to do or have no choice.....

It is so convenient to move wet clothes to next door which is a dryer.

We can save on everything including cars, fridges, washes dryers, cell phones etc...
But we eventually become prehistoric people and run into woods....

In theory all money/energy saving ideas are great but try to follow them and your life will become miserable.

We live in 2015 and have enough knowledge and skills to move progress forward and not back into cave. My goal is to find compromise between energy usage and comfort.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hello Gent's,

I just stumbled over this thread. I have seen similar discussion of APU type setups to provide DC charging and A/C. I started down this avenue myself considering the idea of a diesel generator that imitates the operation of my Honda EU3000i gas generator.

I LOVE the way that it throttles down under light loads. I have tinkered a bit with an Arduino controller to monitor voltage, current draw, temp and oil pressure to start, stop and vary throttle on a small diesel driving a PM alternator and A/C compressor.

I found that my knowledge and time may be lacking to complete this on my own.

Have any of you made any progress in this area?

Thanks.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote