Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Skoolie Friendly RV Campgrounds

Yet the top rated campground in the US (Ft. Wilderness Campground/Disney World) will allow anything... tents, conversion vans, not so converted vans, skoolies, "stealth" RVs, trailers, converted motorcoaches, Class Cs, Class B,s & Class A's. Makes you wonder about some of the excuses some folks offer up as reason to discriminate.

That said, we ourselves do discriminate. We refuse to stay in "age restricted" or "adult only" campgrounds. We don't like to stay in places with the word "resort" in their name. They tend to be pricey for what they have. there are exceptions to that but it is a general trend we have found. I think the word "resort" tacks $10 to $20 per night onto the site fee. We don't stay in KOA's. They tend to live up to their nickname (Keep On Adding). The last one I priced out was in Pigeon Forge TN. It was over $50 per night so we rented a motel room for much less. I think we stayed in a Jellystone once. May have, I don't remember (slept since then). I don't care for either KOA or Holiday Travel Parks since we were turned down (sight unseen) when we had a vintage popup. Both were terribly priced once they finished adding up the fees and we could have stay in the best hotel in Chattanooga for less. LOTS of picky rules tends to discourage us from picky campgrounds. Like "only trash bags with yellow ties can be used" are tips that we would not be happy there. I do sift thru the reviews on RV Park Reviews. The overly glowing or overly bad review, I checkout what else they have reviewed. Mostly I look for things like level sites, wide sites, flooded sites when it rains, midnight trains, cable TV, free wifi, TREES, etc. I could care less if the reviewer couldn't get their waterfront site. So yes, we do discriminate. We pick & choose where we spend our $$.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Engine: Cummins 5.9L

I have stayed at a couple of KOAs, and they were at least welcoming! The one near the MO/OK border was pleasant and decently priced... I had a good experience at the Jellystone in Nashville. Other than those, we really try to avoid chain sites, but sometimes options are limited!
Collin Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Triple Nickel

In Kingman AZ, right off I-40, and Route 66, there is the KOA. You can stay there, but I think I have heard the term Keep On Adding,and that was what we found here. The Circle S is where we wound up staying for almost 45 days for a great price. Laundry on site, as well as showers. The one RV park we had an issue with was the Fort Beale RV park. They were very snooty towards us, and told us our rig was too old. They did say they would allow us to stay overnight but that was it.

Obviously, you can stay in the Wally World parking lot, and the Home Depot will also allow you to stay in the lot over night.

Brat
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

It seems to me that the solution to this dilemma is to find a review site that allows one to search based on restrictions such as this. Does anyone know of any RV park review sites that have such a feature? If not, does anyone know of any review sites which may be amenable to adding such a feature if it were requested by enough people?

As an alternative: Do any of the review sites allow users to tag park entries with custom tags? In that case, we could simply use a consistent tag to indicate parks that are skoolie friendly.
GrantRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Would anyone know of any "Skoolie friendly" campsites in Pennsylvania? East coast?
jenna1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Check out good Sam's website, we have stayed at a bunch(10?) And never an issue
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #27
Bus Geek

ANY public park will accept a skoolie (or a tent, or a horse trailer or a Prevost). Unless you are looking to long term, chances are you are not going to have a problem unless you are trying to get into a fancy rule laden resort. Have you bothered to look up any RV park/Campgrounds?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Yes we're calling around to different places. We have one in mind and we went there to speak to them but we never mentioned a skoolie we just said RV. I didn't think either would be an issue. So I'll have to call back and ask. The other issue we run into is even though they have annual lease they assume people leave and just leave their RV's there. We wouldn't leave though. The electric would still be on but the water would be cut off until Spring season starts. They wouldn't "kick us out" they would just have to cut the water off for the winter. Sooooo......what do you do about water??
Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Never mention skoolie, 1st thoughts would be naked hippies on LSD or maryjoewanna....running around taking bathes in fountains
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #30
Bus Geek

I'm confused. Just what is it that you are looking for? 1-14 nights or longer stays? Long term seems to be more difficult up north.

I am in my second time of fulltiming in an RV. First time was 18 months in Chattanooga TN (thru winter) in a hard sided pop-up. All the campgrounds are open year round there. Second time was in.... GA, FL, TN, NC, TX & NM. Stayed in public parks, private parks, mobile home parks and on private land. I make insulated heated water hoses and simply plug them in. The current hose was made in 2011 and has been in use constantly since it was hooked up. Water pipe heat tape has a thermostatic switch on it so it only comes on when needed. I use a thick potable water garden hose so I don't worry about the heat tape melting the thin vinyl drinking water hoses (a problem many have). Contrary to what you may read, they do make garden hoses that are safe for potable water (drinking water). They will say "safe for drinking water", you often have to get them online (I happened across mine at a Sam's Club once... and never again) and they tend to be far longer than you need. I simply cut off what I needed from the 75 ft or so roll and put plastic hose mender ends on it. I carry the excess hose on board as well as extra hose menders and water quick connects. Never know when it will be needed. You only want a heated hose as long as you need, not any longer. After decades of being in campgrounds, we found that 10 ft is a good length for us. Excess pipe cable extends past each end (for reasons I go into in a tutorial I wrote). Lots of info on the 'net on how to build your own heated water hose. Some good, some not so good. There is a knack to living fulltime in a mobile residence in freezing temps. You have to stay on top of the weather reports and be prepared for the storms.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

We want to go full time but stay local for kids school and work...at least for a couple years. We want to sell the house. Too many burdens right now and we just need to lesson the financial load.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I called around for a place to stay this last weekend (spring break in FL) as it was my wife's birthday and we had 3 days off together (almost never happens). One place that had space and sounded like fun was Blue Cypress Park. WWW.IRCGOV.COM - Indian River County Board of County Commissioners - Public Works - Parks Maintenance Division - Inland Parks - Blue Cypress Park
I called and all went well until she asked what we had. I told her a converted bus. She told someone in the office and then asked the length. I told her 34' and she said there was no place in the park that could handle that size.
Funny how the tone changed when I told her what we had. It made me think of the song about the guy that tucked his hair up into his hat and applied for the job where the sign said "hippies need not apply".
Maybe we should combine funds and open a couple places called "Skoolie Campgrounds".
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm working with some local "hippies" to hopefully have a bus-friendly retreat available for a modest fee in the next year or two. We currently have one skoolie parked there. Working with the owners to see about doing some more stuff there.
Its out in Paisley, Fl.

I've mostly been concerned with finding privately owned places to park. I bought a couple lots to ensure I had somewhere local to legally stay.

Craigslist may also be a tool in helping you to find bus friendly long term living arrangements.

Having REAL friends who are cool is a big plus.
I have several who have been very clear that parking at their place is ok.

Best of luck to you. Keep looking around. Doing all your homework is definitely a smart thing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
I almost bought an RV campground near Helen GA about 10 years ago. Now I'm wishing I had gone through with the deal. "Skoolies and Two Wheel Only" STWO.
Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I almost bought an RV campground near Helen GA about 10 years ago. Now I'm wishing I had gone through with the deal. "Skoolies and Two Wheel Only" STWO.
I think we all wish you had done that deal. I know Helen GA. Some paint salesman got a good commission on the dark red paint for that town.
Its a great location to stay since there are so many great places within 1/2 day driving distance.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Consider Dancing Rabbit if you are ever in the area of Rutledge MO.
I have been following them for many years and can't wait to get in a visit!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
I think we all wish you had done that deal. I know Helen GA. Some paint salesman got a good commission on the dark red paint for that town.
Its a great location to stay since there are so many great places within 1/2 day driving distance.

Dat's where I live, only the land I bought isn't as easy to get to with a 40 foot bus, and impossible with a stick and staple RV.

Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Dat's where I live, only the land I bought isn't as easy to get to with a 40 foot bus, and impossible with a stick and staple RV.
Perfect!! Its not supposed to be easy to get to. If it was, it would be overrun. Enjoy the solitude, it would be worse!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Don't forget that alot of older parks were not designed with modern 30'+ rv

you can safely stick your rear over the pavement, all parks say stay on pavement, and conventional rv's don't have clearance to stick over curbs and such

Google maps is your friend, we always check out new campsites with it

and some places are just to narrow escpecially with weekend drivers

I have a 25' ResidentialVehicle

that is usable space inside, it has come up one time when they said that's only 25 foot? I smiled and said "yes"

they "okay, looks bigger"

no problems

my tape measure is always broken
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Privet land is where it's at.

I don't and wont even bother trying to get into RV parks. They are retarded expensive, crowded, and I don't like the plastic fake people.

Here I can find places to park for $100 a month without hookups. I don't need hookups.

If you want true freedom, you need to make and find your own water, electricity, and deal with your own wastes.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote