Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Homemade
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Cummins NHH 220, E-F10spd
This used to work for uploading photos?
I'll blame flickr and the recent update, lots of pictures if you follow the link.
http://flic.kr/p/qVkQ46

Old 02-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I use flickr on here. Also from Iowa, it's been real cold the last couple nights. I'm ready for spring. On your flickr page bring up which picture you want, and at the bottom there is a right hand arrow. Click on that, and it brings up the url. Make sure it is highlighted then copy (make sure you use "BB code", not html, or link). Bring it to your post and paste.

Frozen in Iowa by vanopolis, on Flickr

you don't have to do anything on the skoolie site.

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks HvBuzz, I'm mobile on the phone at the moment. Haven't had much wifi for the computer lately.
I'm on the road to wilkes barre tomorrow morning, I ain't stopping for nothing. Unless there's unintended smoke, I'll stop for that.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone, the info here has made my voyage possible.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Good luck and safe journey. I don't live in Newton, but my bus was from that school district.

Nate
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

Seven years ago my m-i-l passed away very unexpectedly. As a consequence my wife, who is an only child, had to go to Grand Rapids, MI to close up her mother's house and get her mother's estate in order.

Of course that meant we had to pack up a lot of "treasures" to bring home to WA state. Among the treasures were two cats for which we couldn't find new homes.

I ended up purchasing an IHC/Thomas conventional bus with a T444 engine and Allison automatic transmission to transport all of the "treasures" home to WA state.

It was the last week of December and when I left Grand Rapids it was well below freezing. By the time I got to Iowa it was below 10*.

The only time the engine got turned off was when I stopped for fuel so I could check engine oil levels. The rest of the time I never shut the engine off due to the fear of not being able to get it started again. I figured that at a truck stop if Ihad problems there would be help close by.

The first night out I stopped at a rest area in Iowa to sleep for a while. After about an hour, even with the engine idling at about 1200 RPM's it had gotten cold enough in the bus that the cats were complaining. With the engine facing into the wind with the wind blowing about 10 MPH and the ambient temp below 10* the engine couldn't make enough heat to keep the heaters blowing warm air. That night all the way across Iowa and parts of Nebraska I would drive until I couldn't keep my eyes open. I would then stop at a rest area to sleep until the cats started to complain about the cold. At which point I would continue on.

I got to spend 24 hours at a truck stop in Cheyenne, WY because the highway was closed between Cheyenne and Laramie. Fortunately I was completely surrounded by big rigs that created enough of a wind break that I was able to keep the bus nice and toasty warm inside.

The longest the bus was ever turned off from the time I left Grand Rapids and made it home to WA was no more than 30 minutes.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, i would not have survived without the wood stove. I tried the not shutting it off game for about 48 hours and it had started running rough/ loosing power so I decided to give it a rest. she ran fine the next day but needed ether to start the next morning.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice! It was around ten degrees out when I got my bus. We didn't stop much either.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I made it to wilkes barre Pennsylvania with only minor issues. I'm parked where I work now but can't stay parked here forever. All the local rv parks are closed for the winter and mobile home parks are not taking any rvs or busses. Wall mart looks like the best option for now it I'm not sure if I trust my home to the lot while I'm working.
All my friends say that I could park on there property but the road would not be passable untill spring.
I'm thinking I should install a coolant heater pump to help the oem block heater overpower the cold temps here, the oem one is on top of the engine and all the cold wind keeps the oil too cold to start.
The propane heat blaster seems to do a good job at it but I don't want to drag the tank and heater out and build a fort around the engine every time I'm trying to move this bus.
I'm planning on making some belly cover for the engine that I can keep on while running, velcro hatches to access the goodies that need accessing.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
An old friend moved to upper Michigan from Houston,Texas years ago and encountered a "hundred year blizzard" his first winter there. He told me his Jeep Cherokee would probably have frozen to death except for a friendly neighbor farmers advice.

"Get yourself a good block heater then rig a circulating pump to spread the heat around". He did just that.

He said that after digging it out of mixed layers of wet snow and ice a foot over the roof...it cranked right up.

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Good luck with it.

As for me...my cold weather starting system is even simpler. It's called Key West.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote