Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Air Ride anyone?

Just brainstorming, wanted to know if anyone has converted their skoolie from springs to air ride?

If so, how much did it cost?
How intense is the labor?
What is the maintenance like?
Was it worth the time and money spent?

I saw a show where guys put an air ride suspension in an older lincoln continental, wondered if we could do it on our skoolies?

-Doc

Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Air Ride anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr
Just brainstorming, wanted to know if anyone has converted their skoolie from springs to air ride?

If so, how much did it cost?
How intense is the labor?
What is the maintenance like?
Was it worth the time and money spent?

I saw a show where guys put an air ride suspension in an older lincoln continental, wondered if we could do it on our skoolies?

-Doc
Yes and no.

All you need is the parts from a medium duty truck with the same rear axle. I found the parts for around $500 plus new bags at a big truck wrecker. I haven't installed it yet, but will be.

Front full air ride new is $7000. Removing a few leaf's to soften the ride, then adding a few bags is cheap. Bags run around $200 each.

It will be waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy worth it. I miss the international MDT I used to drive with air ride. Long wheel base, low center of gravity, and air ride, I could drive over 200 kmh comfortably.

When I do my conversion, I will do a right up in the "How to" section with tons of pics.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster

Yes and no.

All you need is the parts from a medium duty truck with the same rear axle. I found the parts for around $500 plus new bags at a big truck wrecker. I haven't installed it yet, but will be.

Front full air ride new is $7000. Removing a few leaf's to soften the ride, then adding a few bags is cheap. Bags run around $200 each.

It will be waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy worth it. I miss the international MDT I used to drive with air ride. Long wheel base, low center of gravity, and air ride, I could drive over 200 kmh comfortably.

When I do my conversion, I will do a right up in the "How to" section with tons of pics.

Nat
I would like to see it. I want to tile my shower but think the springs are too rigid of a ride. Do you think air ride would be able to keep the tile from cracking out? It would be the floor. The sides would be some sort of vinyl or shower board as it seems to be a bit impractical to keep those attached even if mastic was used, the grout would crumble out I'm sure.

And you're positive it would require a full axle replace? No way to manufacture a bracket on the current one?

-Doc
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:

I would like to see it. I want to tile my shower but think the springs are too rigid of a ride. Do you think air ride would be able to keep the tile from cracking out? It would be the floor. The sides would be some sort of vinyl or shower board as it seems to be a bit impractical to keep those attached even if mastic was used, the grout would crumble out I'm sure.

And you're positive it would require a full axle replace? No way to manufacture a bracket on the current one?

-Doc
The tiling system in the link below will weigh the same or less than a FRP shower, due to no plywood. The fiberglass reinforced rigid Styrofoam sheets are 1/2" thick, and replace the plywood substrait. Unlike setting tile onto rigid plywood that transfers the vibrations, the Schluter KERDI-BOARD won't transfer any of this harmful motion to the tile. Also due to the lack of wood, you will never have a mold issue should a leak manage to get passed the water proof membrane.
Corner grout is protected by profile corner pieces that absorb the movement.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 4pvjlRE0aQ

No need for a new rear axle, your bus already has a medium duty truck axle. All you need is the s spring, brackets to attach to the frame, and the piece the air bags mount onto.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

This guy Rooster Booster built himself a truck from a old U-Haul truck. It had factory air ride on the rear.
He built a air ride system for his new Diamond T cab and custom built aluminum sleeper. Pics of that set up are in this thread.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs ... truck.html

Get something to munch on, and something to drink. That thread is a long, interesting read.

Here are some pics I found on google of a few common systems.

This one uses the spring under the axle.

This is the one I have. Spring go's over the axle.

I searched "rear mdt air ride", then clicked on images. I encourage you to do the same to view the hundreds of pics of various systems.

Nat

Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Bus Geek

This is a good read. Here Rooster Booster is discussing the pro's and con's to various air ride systems. This was before he built the Diamond T.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs ... nsion.html

And one more with lots of pics.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs ... ete-4.html

Nat

Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Sweet! I am off today and its rainy out so I have the perfect day to read!! Thanks Nat.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

All the school district mechanics I have talked to say they tend to ride worse than springs. Go for it.....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
All the school district mechanics I have talked to say they tend to ride worse than springs. Go for it.....

they say that the air ride tends to ride worse? If so why would you encourage someone to do it anyway?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:

they say that the air ride tends to ride worse? If so why would you encourage someone to do it anyway?
That is what I was told when I contemplated looking for one.

People like to spend lots of money on conversations, regardless if they make sense. Not implying this is the case here, speaking in general terms.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

I recently inquired about air conversion at a local truck parts & repair place. The guy said rear air ride is nice, but he wouldn't recommend it on the front because it makes it hard to "feel" the road in the steering. I accepted his advice.. though the more I think about it, the more doubtful I am. All those city transit "kneeling" buses are using air for the kneel feature, no?

Given that we passengers (and driver) ride in the front, I'd actually move on improving the front suspension before I would the rear.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Thanks for the interest in this topic. Also thanks for the input, and challenges.

I see a lot of speculation here with no experience to back it up.

How would having adjustable air pillows ride worse than a old, stiff, not adjustable leaf spring?

Why would 99% of big rigs use air ride if it rides worse?

Have any of you that are speaking driven two trucks that are identical in every way except the springs vs air ride?

The spring changes stiffness as it moves through the motion of suspension, getting stiffer as it is load increases. This results in a rough ride that sags under full load. Air bags compensate for all this, and make for a far safer ride due to the entire drive line still being in the optimal position.

I have no choice but to do air ride. With the Haul All's design, my bus will go from 7000 pounds unloaded to 28,000 pounds loaded. Without air ride, my rear springs would bounce me clean off the road when I'm unloaded. Air bags are the only way to remedy this.

Chances are the school bus mechanic's don't like air ride due to a few extra parts they had to work on.
I would dismiss anything the mechanic's told you about air ride, and anything else they say. They are clearly clueless about mechanical anything.

Nat

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon
I recently inquired about air conversion at a local truck parts & repair place. The guy said rear air ride is nice, but he wouldn't recommend it on the front because it makes it hard to "feel" the road in the steering. I accepted his advice.. though the more I think about it, the more doubtful I am. All those city transit "kneeling" buses are using air for the kneel feature, no?

Given that we passengers (and driver) ride in the front, I'd actually move on improving the front suspension before I would the rear.
Good to see you back family wagon. Hope your bus did well on your travels.

Full Air ride front I have no experience. Due to the additional side to side forces, there may be some truth to this.

My air ride front will be nothing more than a air bag helper. I will remove all but two front leafs, and add a bag on each side so I can compensate for changing load. I have done this on a few one ton trucks with great results.

Nat

Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Have you ever ridden in a big truck, with air bags, unloaded? Very harsh. Same with a bus, the only exception might be a rear engine bus. A front engine bus with air ride would be just like a big truck unloaded....no weight in the back.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Have you ever ridden in a big truck, with air bags, unloaded? Very harsh. Same with a bus, the only exception might be a rear engine bus. A front engine bus with air ride would be just like a big truck unloaded....no weight in the back.
Yes, everyday for 2 years driving 3 and 5 ton roll off tow trucks. Going from loaded to unloaded continuously.

Adjust the air pressure in the bags. Adjustability is the whole reason for using air bags The system your referring to, obviously was malfunctioning, or never was set up properly.

Most common part to fail is the ride height valve. A stuck height valve could give bone jarring ride if not dumping the extra air pressure.

Nat

Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Just to add to the topic, I also drove a lincoln car for a taxi company that had air ride rear. All there high end cars had it.

The Chevy Envoy also has air ride rear, and rides like a caddy. Any time someone jumps in the back seat, you hear the electric compressor engage to increase the air pressure in the bags to keep the suspension at the proper ride height. This is why you never see a Chevy Envoy with sagging rear suspension, no matter how many people are in the back seat.

Nat

Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Bus Geek

One of our fellow members bus with factory air ride front and back.

Front. You can see the ride height control valve.

Rear. You can see the ride height control valve.

Nat

Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1960
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 283 cid

Hi - When I bought the Coachman I put air bags on the back as the springs were sagging. This is not the first motor home I put air bags on. The ride is a lot smoother and less sway in the wind. My bus has Torsion Bars on the front and very stiff springs in back. I plan on using the bags from the Coachman if they can be fitted. They are adjustable from the dash. I will have to remove at least 3 leafs to soften the ride. Air ride is so much better for the truck and driver. the old man Richard
mrtravelingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #19

Year: 1993
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9, Cummins
Rated Cap: 68

I replaced the rear suspension with a single axle 07' international semi setup , 1 I have air ride ,2 I have 4:11 ratio , 3 I have a full air locker. I spent 1500 for the whole rear cut off at a local semi shop.
Its in a 1993 TC2000 Blue bird And I rides great and hauls a lot ! I primarily haul a pulling truck on it with lots of weights , around 10,000 Lbs. on the deck . Aside from the 350.00 Custom rear drive shaft it was fairly inexpensive . as I had all the components. Good Luck , Brian
bansley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39

I am going to remove some leaves from my 51 IHC l160/Wayne and add airbags and shocks and a big anti sway bar. My rear gears are 6.16 and with the 7.50x20 dual wheels, rpms are too high at 50 mph, the ride was very rough. 80 psi in the tires. My old bus is really just an old farmer truck with a bus body that could haul 36 fat boys around. The bus weighs 8400lbs empty. 16500 gvw. I don't need to carry 8100lbs so things can soften up a bit and my gearing need not be so low. What I've recently done is mount 9x20 singles on the rear. Besides being nearly new, full tread traction tires that can handle the load running 55 psi,[much better ride and handling] they are wider and nearly 4.5" taller than 7.50s. The same effect as changing to a 5.70 gear. It still starts from a dead stop and pulls thru the gears [4 sp] just fine and my odometer is dead on correct over a known 20 mile stretch. My gas mileage has gone from 9.6 to 11.14 mpg. A 1951 IHC L160 was never meant to cruise the highway at 60 mph. Especially with a bus body. But that is my goal and I have room for 10x20 singles on the rear. I am going to remove all but 2 leaves [ that will level it out some as well] and use common medium duty truck air bags with balanced air lines I can adjust like air shocks. New truck shocks fore and aft [an L160 has no shocks] and anti sway bars as well. That should get me close enough. Right now with the 9x20s it's better, but it's kind of hairy to drive over 45 mph on semi rough roads. Not exactly a Greyhound Americruiser. But I love my old binder and it's fun and simple to work on.
Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote