Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Wood heat - like all other forms of heat - has its pros and cons. In my case, the pros outweigh the cons. Lots of nice, dry heat is what I want and wood provides that well (not to mention I have a limitless supply of free wood).

Insects can come in with the wood, but in all my experience dealing with bucking, splitting, hauling wood I've never found it to be much of a problem. Usually the wood coming into the house has been sitting around outdoors in below zero temperatures so the critters aren't active. A proper wood box indoors helps keep things clean and tidy. I built mine underneath the wood stove.

I had considered making a rocket stove out of a 100lb propane tank, but it was just adding too much extra work. I ended up buying one of these: http://www.graystove.com/. I haven't picked it up yet, but it's all built and ready to go! I'm quite excited

Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

For inspiration of how wood stoves can be done in small spaces, take a look at some marine stove installations. They can be rather impressive: images of marine wood stoves
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #23
Skoolie

I built a rocket stove type heater for my garage a few years back, I was kicking the idea of scaling it down for a bus size.

here is a link to the build and operation of the unit.
my homemade wood stove (wood burning stoves forum at permies)

I was able to heat an over sized two car garage with no ceiling to a comfortable working temp during the western Kansas winter with a five gallon bucket of scrap pallet wood for an 8-10 hour period.

I also modified a little oven to use to bake on top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0428.jpg   IMAG0448.jpg  
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #24

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hasbeen View Post
I built a rocket stove type heater for my garage a few years back, I was kicking the idea of scaling it down for a bus size.

here is a link to the build and operation of the unit.
my homemade wood stove (wood burning stoves forum at permies)

I was able to heat an over sized two car garage with no ceiling to a comfortable working temp during the western Kansas winter with a five gallon bucket of scrap pallet wood for an 8-10 hour period.

I also modified a little oven to use to bake on top.
This is very cool. Nice job.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Ha! I love the glass lid.. I mean door That's clever. Stove looks great.

How often do you need to tend to the fire? I experimented with making a small, bus sized rocket stove, but gave up on the idea of having one in the bus. It simply required too much tending. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if you could have proper thermal mass inside the bus so that you fire it hard for a couple hours then coast off the residual heat, but waking up on the hour all night long to stoke the fire during the cold weather would get old real fast. However, if you aren't planning on doing cold weather bussing, then you may be alright.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
Skoolie

yep, tending the fire gets old, once I got it up to temp and the draft throttled back I would fill the fire box with old hard wood palette 2x4's maybe three? and then stuff in another one every thirty minutes.

I based my dimensions of my fire box off of some estimated calculations for air flow needed for my up tube and chimney size then decided that I better put in some air damper control.
doing it again I would build a much bigger firebox and angle it about 30* and leave the other plumbing as is.
original plans did not call for a door, but it became necessary after a few test fires, had I thought a little harder on the start of the experiment I would have went big fire box and door from the get go.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Rocket stove in my Motorhome

We build rocket stoves for rv's. We use water for the thermal mass and a condensing system to catch the water that evaporates and use it as distilled water to drink. When your ready to hit the road you drain the water tank and your on your way. We use stainless pipe and aluminum radiators to heat bays and as our condensing system for the distilled water system we also use this system for domestic hot water production during winter months and then we use our precision temp tankless water heater for the rest of the time. We burn on average of a cord per winter (I prefer to burn pellets because they are easy to store and take up less room than wood.)to heat our motor home was built to live off grid. With solar and wind generators and a water filtration system that will purify almost any water source to bottle water quality. We spent a lot of time and money researching the best system to use to heat our efficient Motorhome, in addition to all this we also spay foamed our bus before we converted the interior. This was the single most efficient thing we did. Our system is easy to use and is very efficient. Very little waste in heat or ashes for more info go to our website for contact info at rvingoffgrid.com
rvingoffgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingoffgrid View Post
We build rocket stoves for rv's. We use water for the thermal mass and a condensing system to catch the water that evaporates and use it as distilled water to drink.
do you have any pictures of your stove?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
+1 sounds interesting!
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International, 3000, Blue Bird
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 25000
Hello,
I installed the mini 12 from GrayStove.com - GRAY STOVE
Attached Thumbnails
KINDLE_CAMERA_1425478999000.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
...go to our website for contact info at rvingoffgrid.com
Are you just posting to advertise your company? Come on! Let's see some pictures!!
Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
http://www.brownbook.net/business/do...ingoffgrid.com

Interesting report that the site is an attack page.
Seems the link and post are just to get people to try the link. Don't do it!
Do not go to anything rvingoffgrid.com

The posts containing the link should be removed for safety of members.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Lol. I looked from my necus 7 and the page froze lol
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #34
Site Team

Looked fine on my iPad, and that "brownbook" link just redirects to a mailto: link. Confused...
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
The brownbook link is what I found when I googled the site that was posted. The response from brownbook is that the site is an attack page. I am just posting what I found. Try other sites that test and confirm a site's integrity if you prefer. I don't jump to links and I don't take candy from strange men. Just my way of staying safe a little longer.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Yes I know the rule no pictures it didn't happen, but it's going to be hard to get a total view of the stove because of all the pcs to it like the burn chamber , the super heat chamber and then there is the water tank and pipes. But I'll do the best I can with pictures
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #37
Almost There

I Googled rvingoffgrid, and found what I hope is their Facebook page and website.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RVing...&tab=page_info

RVing Off Grid This link takes you to a landing page that seems to be formatted for a phone or tablet. There's a link at the bottom for desktop size.

These links are a-okay.

*eta: The pics seem to be taken from other sites on the internet. Dunno that I trust what rvingoffgrid is saying now.
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaHasAPlan View Post
I Googled rvingoffgrid, and found what I hope is their Facebook page and website.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RVing...&tab=page_info

RVing Off Grid This link takes you to a landing page that seems to be formatted for a phone or tablet. There's a link at the bottom for desktop size.

These links are a-okay.

*eta: The pics seem to be taken from other sites on the internet. Dunno that I trust what rvingoffgrid is saying now.
every picture on my web site is from products we have built over the yrs, we post all picture to many sites on the internet including Pinterest, face book and some on other sites.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

this is a picture of the first one we built, the changes that have been made to it sense this one was built 3 yrs back are that the exhaust now comes out the bottom rear and there is a larger ass dump door we are putting a video for you tube together now when its finished ill add a link for it so the whole system can be seen working in our Motor home

you can use pellet or cherry pits or even wood sticks to fuel it if you use wood we have a chute extension to get a longer burn time per load
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0756.JPG  
Old 06-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
this is a picture of the first one we built, the changes that have been made to it sense this one was built 3 yrs back are that the exhaust now comes out the bottom rear and there is a larger ass dump door we are putting a video for you tube together now when its finished ill add a link for it so the whole system can be seen working in our Motor home

you can use pellet or cherry pits or even wood sticks to fuel it if you use wood we have a chute extension to get a longer burn time per load
do you burn this with the shoot door open for draft?