Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Almost There

Wanted: diesel on the west coast

I'm new to not only this forum, but to owning buses, so pardon any grievous errors I am looking for a new home, namely on wheels.

Ideally I want: a diesel that can easily be converted to run on WVO, dual tank system. From 1970 to 1995 or so. Power steering, automatic(will take stick, but prefer automatic), engine in front and in decent condition. Most seats removed. Between 25ft and 35ft. Registered as an RV. Under $2500.

Yes I know I'm asking a lot for too little a price, but I'd rather live in a bus than on the streets(again).

I don't have a car, so can only go across state by Amtrak and Greyhound. Currently in Oregon, but willing to go (almost)anywhere on the west coast.

Emailing works best since I don't want to post my phone number on a public forum.

Veganvegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome. If it were me, I'd put in a bid on this one and you can pick it up in Denver area, they have an EXCELLENT bus system for getting around, too.http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...ew?auc=1292194
The price is certainly right and it looks pretty solid. I'd be all over it if it were closer to me...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

For the $$$, this is the best buy on used buses I know of currently.

It has an MT653 5-speed transmission so you have a deep low first gear and highway speeds rear gearing.

http://showroom.auction123.com/thebu...1LH288586.html

It is located at our Auburn, WA facility, about a $25.00 cab ride from the Tacoma AmTrak station.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
For the $$$, this is the best buy on used buses I know of currently.

It has an MT653 5-speed transmission so you have a deep low first gear and highway speeds rear gearing.

http://showroom.auction123.com/thebu...1LH288586.html

It is located at our Auburn, WA facility, about a $25.00 cab ride from the Tacoma AmTrak station.

Nice drivetrain.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Almost There

Both are nice, but out of my budget.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Make an offer.

You never know what they will take.

I know we are getting more than a dozen trade ins coming in this month. They need to clean up the inventory just to make room for the new stock to park in the lot.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Almost There

I might have found a great bus, but it has a small transmission leak and I'm not sure how serious it is since it's 300mi from me.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

A small transmission leak is sort of subjective.

It could be a fitting or hose that needs tightening, a hose that is failing, a gasket that is failing, a cooler that has sprung a leak, a torque convertor that is losing a seal, or any number of other things.

You have to ask yourself if it is worth the trip to check it out.

At the bottom end of the price list you can't be very picky.

Ideally, the best ones to choose are those that have just recently gone out of service. They will most likely still have a current inspection sticker that pretty much guarantees that everything works and is still in spe'c.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Almost There

As I stated in another part of the forum: I am currently watching the bidding of two buses. One is an automatic(with a small leak) and one is a stick/manual. The main issue right now is that three or so dealers keep upping the price to stupidly high levels. This makes me hate dealers more than when I started watching bus auctions. "IF" I win the auction on the leaky automatic, I'm more worried about a leak from a gasket than I am a hose issue.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Most of the dealers I know in the west don't bother much with auctions unless it is a liquidation auction.

Most dealers have a hard time getting rid of what they take in on trade and are not interested in getting "more" inventory.

Again, take a look at what we have in inventory at www.harlowsbussales.com

Most of what we have in inventory in our WA locations have been taken out of service very recently. Most are pretty good old buses with lots of life left in them. The beat up junk we send right to the crusher without even bothering to go on our lot.

The prices are asking prices and not necessarily selling prices.

Make and offer and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Most of the dealers I know in the west don't bother much with auctions unless it is a liquidation auction.

Most dealers have a hard time getting rid of what they take in on trade and are not interested in getting "more" inventory.

Again, take a look at what we have in inventory at www.harlowsbussales.com

Most of what we have in inventory in our WA locations have been taken out of service very recently. Most are pretty good old buses with lots of life left in them. The beat up junk we send right to the crusher without even bothering to go on our lot.

The prices are asking prices and not necessarily selling prices.

Make and offer and see what happens.

You need to do something about those pictures. Aren't you embarrassed to send someone to that site?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

I have been complaining about our company website for months.

They "improved" it once and made it worse.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Almost There

Your site isn't letting me narrow down the field search. I can go through the pages, but can't narrow the search.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

You can choose by stock number, brand, type, or age.

It is usually easiest to just page through the whole inventory.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

Seriously, go to Walmart or Costco and buy a $100 camera. Set the image quality for medium and use those pictures. You need to let management know that pictures like that send a message that you don't want to be sending.

Go to fleabay and look at the high volume dealers selling cars. They have super hi-res pictures and tons of them. The message they are sending is we don't have anything to hide and we have pictures to prove it. It's your living, not mine. Just trying to help.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

You don't think I haven't made that comment at least once?

The problem involves several locations in several states with differing levels of picture taking ability all being collated and processed by someone whose job to deal with the internet inventory is "other duties as assigned".

If there is a particular bus for which you want better photos I can get pictures e-mailed directly to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
Almost There

I know how to narrow down the fields. When I try to adjust the assortment by price, relevance, location, ect, it tries to load for a second, then does nothing. I have seen your site before though. Mostly spamming craigslist, in the owner section, across five states.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganvegabond View Post
As I stated in another part of the forum: I am currently watching the bidding of two buses. One is an automatic(with a small leak) and one is a stick/manual. The automatic's inspection sticker is from 2013 and the stick is from 2014. Both are in running condition. The main issue right now is that three or so dealers keep upping the price to stupidly high levels. This makes me hate dealers more than when I started watching bus auctions. "IF" I win the auction on the leaky automatic, I'm more worried about a leak from a gasket than I am a hose issue.
It's a free world. Don't be a hater. Many of those buses have a second and third life south of the border. The days of dirt cheap buses are over. You are competing with wrecking yards, skoolie people, south of the border people and many others. You are better off searching high and low on craigslist.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
Almost There

I'm searching everywhere that I can. I check both auctions and craigslist every day. If I end up buying from a dealer, then I do. If it's a free world, then aren't I free to like or hate what I choose?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganvegabond View Post
I'm searching everywhere that I can. I check both auctions and craigslist every day. If I end up buying from a dealer, then I do. If it's a free world, then aren't I free to like or hate what I choose?

You are but I would use that energy learning and researching what is the ideal bus and drivetrain. Some manufactures are better than others. Some engines are better than others. Some transmissions are better than others. To save $1000 to buy an inferior bus is not really saving money. I forgot to mention that you are also competing with the scrap cash value of the bus without removing any parts.

You Gotta Let Me Fly