Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Conversion Encyclopedia - Floor Plans

OK... I will tape it and ck results, it may seem kinda busy the way I have it... And alot of wasted space in bath...

WTD and Bus-Bro, thanks for good advice to a "Newlie Skoolie"...

After listening to an old Van Halen song, I think I am going to have some lettering done above the rear back window...

"Class Dismissed"... I like that for a traveling skoolie! Lol!!

thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 72

I just purchased a 1998 Thomas 72 passenger and wondered if anyone had a floor plan to share.I was thinking master br in back with a bunk room forward of that. Ideas? Thanks
jkronmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Since I bought my conversion bus, my floorplan has changed quite a bit. I found a 1995 International bookmobile based on a 3800 school bus chassis. The sides and roof are flat, square, and tall, so I have a lot of room to build. These are the plans that I'm currently working from. (All images rendered in Google's SketchUp. Fantastic and free.)

Overhead plan view: The driver and passenger seats are on swivels and they can face each other over a removable table top. I've since decided that I will have another section of tabletop in front of the passenger seat so there won't be any banging of feet under the one between the seats. Also, the two seats are on quick-detach pedestals so I can more easily work on the interior during the conversion or when I need to get at the rear half of the engine through the inside cover.

Passenger side. The bookmobile had two doors on the right side. I'm keeping the front door as-is, but the back door will be eliminated when I cut off the sides for the Jeep "garage." I have planned for two chest freezers with one converted to a refrigerator. I also want to have a removable workbench that mounts over the two chests, but I'm still thinking of a way to make it easy enough to move that I don't have to stop whatever I'm doing to get dinner out of the fridge. I've also planned a duct that will channel cold air from the window air conditioner to the various parts of the vehicle—when I'm sleeping I can open a vent over the bed and when I'm awake I can open vents further forward.

Driver side: The shower stall will be where I keep the porta-potty when I'm not taking a shower since it's really a waste of space for more than 23 hours out of every day. I also have wire shelves on the inside of the shower door, but I will use a plastic shower curtain to keep the water in the stall and the hard door will remain open while the shower is in use. Fresh water storage is under the platform in front of the bed wall and it should hold between 180 and 220 gallons, depending on how high I make the step.

Looking back from the cockpit towards the rear of the vehicle: Some plans that I've seen are open and airy, but I wanted mine to be as efficient as possible, both in terms of use of a small space and thermodynamically; I want to be able to heat it with a candle and cool it with an ice cube, so a lot of windows isn't an option.

What these don't show is the roof deck and access hatch that I just installed. I will have a swing-down ladder attached to the ceiling so I can quickly access the roof deck and whatever additional storage (dry goods, etc) I have up there.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71

heres my floor plan

the driver area is at this end.

https://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Here's the final floor plan from my 24' 2000 E-450 Ford cutaway bus with an Eldorado Aerotech fiberglass body. The 15 gal. grey tank is mounted under the bus behind the fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus Floor Plan.jpg.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #26

You all have given me the Skoolie Bug!

Here is my first attempt at a floorplan based off a 40' front engine school bus. The idea was to maximize floor space, minimize the amount of construction (this design only has three walls and a few cabinets), and make it as green as possible. The 'greening' of this design will require a much higher initial investment to purchase the appliances, but the pay off will be that this skoolie will be able to boondock almost indefinitely.

What do you guys think?

AdamNicholasB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #27

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNicholasB
You all have given me the Skoolie Bug!

Here is my first attempt at a floorplan based off a 40' front engine school bus. The idea was to maximize floor space, minimize the amount of construction (this design only has three walls and a few cabinets), and make it as green as possible. The 'greening' of this design will require a much higher initial investment to purchase the appliances, but the pay off will be that this skoolie will be able to boondock almost indefinitely.

What do you guys think?

Hey look! He has a triple wide skoolie.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Looks good,be flexible with battery bank,some fuel tanks are mounted there.....what are the color'd shaps on the desktop in bedroom...just curious
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I think that is the clothes closet.

Where are your wheel wells? Will you have a removable steering wheel? And what did you do with the engine? Ours takes up a lot of space inside. Between the steering wheel & the engine cover, using our drivers seat as a chair is pretty much a fantasy. Is this a dog-nosed bus?

One thing. Is this for fulltiming or weekending? One person or two? The reason I ask is because climbing across another person to get in/out of bed gets really old, really fast when you have to do it day in, day out. Especially if you have the flu and you are the one having to climb over someone to make a semi fast desperate dash for the bathroom. We disliked it so much that we put an island bed in our bus. After 5 years of climbing over, I decided to "fix" that problem. I'm too old to continue doing that.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Looks good,be flexible with battery bank,some fuel tanks are mounted there.....what are the color'd shaps on the desktop in bedroom...just curious
Oh, that's just the closet. Those are hanging clothes.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I think that is the clothes closet.

Where are your wheel wells? Will you have a removable steering wheel? And what did you do with the engine? Ours takes up a lot of space inside. Between the steering wheel & the engine cover, using our drivers seat as a chair is pretty much a fantasy. Is this a dog-nosed bus?

One thing. Is this for fulltiming or weekending? One person or two? The reason I ask is because climbing across another person to get in/out of bed gets really old, really fast when you have to do it day in, day out. Especially if you have the flu and you are the one having to climb over someone to make a semi fast desperate dash for the bathroom. We disliked it so much that we put an island bed in our bus. After 5 years of climbing over, I decided to "fix" that problem. I'm too old to continue doing that.
My goal is to fulltime, with just myself (for now).

I am interested in procuring a dog-nosed bus for the exact reasons to mentioned - increased floorspace, and two less wheel wells to deal with. Plus, dog-nosed buses are easier to work on and quieter inside, as I understand it. If I do end up finding a flat-faced bus that I love, I will need to adjust this design accordingly.

Your point about the position of the bed is a good one, and one I had not considered.Though I am single now, if I were to find Ms. Right, I would rather not have to remodel the bedroom to make it more functional. I am going to revise my design using your suggestions. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 84

502 paintball mobile bunkhouse.
The grid things are overhead storage. The semi-transparent blocks are overhead cabinets. All beds are 2 high bunks.

Sketch-up views without the overheads and the details are a little different.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
Bus Geek

I think I slept in those bunks in the army
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #34

If I had a full sized bus (71 passenger) this is what it would look like. Not sure how practical it is given wheel wells, but oh well!
Attached Thumbnails
first-design (1).jpg  
christina mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Floor plan ideas!

hello all. I'm getting together a good game plan for my bus (future). I was thinking I have seen bus floor plans in various build threads but they are spread out and intermittent. I thought it would be neat if they were all consolidated on one thread. It would be a big help for guys like me that haven't been on a bus regularly since freshman year almost 20 years ago. So if you see this and don't mind posting your floor plans again......thanks!
texasrednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126
Re: Floor plan ideas!

Here is my latest layout. I need to update because I made a few changes, like reversing the toilet and shower. I have a 1999 34' rear engine Thomas. I'm single so I don't have a dinet, instead I have a computer desk so I can work while traveling.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

thanks bailey!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Here is the three page thread that already covers this topic.
viewtopic.php?t=95

This thread needs to be migrated into the other one. I will contact Sarah about it.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Should have used the search feature......sorry
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrednek
Should have used the search feature......sorry
No problem. I have noticed a increadable amount of the same questions being asked in new threads, multiple threads for the same topic, ect.

For the sake of being able to search and find stuff, I have started working with the mod's to clean the site up a bit.

Also Google works far better than the search on this forum. As Jatzy pointed out, type in your search words, followed by "skoolie.net, and you will get much better search results.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote