Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: International / Carpenter Bus Conversion

Congrats on the bus and welcome to the zoo.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Ditto on the congratulations, Free, your gonna have a blast with it! Nice proposed layout too! Maybe you can use the wood from the sewing tables in your build, could save a few $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Congrats on the bus and welcome to the zoo.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

These things are generally equipped with governors to limit the speed, and 60mph sounds about right. They can be adjusted or removed...mine only does 60 too, but I'm going to have the mechanics at work tweak it up so I can get 65 out of it, I don't need to drive the 'Queen Mary' any faster than that!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Wow. You have the same exact bus that I do! Mine is just a 93. I have the 7.3L diesel and the AT545 tranny. My bus has seen 65mph, but I generally cruise at 55mph to keep the RPM's down. I doubt you are having a governor problem. Look at your RPM's next time you're doing 60. If they're 2,800 or above, that's your problem. Diesel's don't spin high RPM's like a gas engine. A diesel makes most of its power at around 2,000 rpm's. My engine was also running in the temp range yours is. I noticed I had a slight drip coming from somewhere underneath the radiator. I didn't feel like pulling it apart, so I put some of that radiator stop leak stuff in there. It worked and I was also a gallon and a half low on antifreeze! I filled it up and it still runs around 200 degrees. Another reason you may be burning up in the drivers seat is your heater valve is probably open. Even though you don't have the heater on, the antifreeze is still circulating through the lines. The shutoff is down by the drivers left foot. It looks like a spiggot on your house. Shut that thing off and you'll be cooler! I had the opposite problem when I drove my bus home. It was 20 degrees outside and my valve was closed. I didn't know where it was at the time. I nearly froze to death driving the bus home. I later figured out to open that thing up and it was nice and toasty then! Close it in the summer, open in the winter! Also, I don't know about that shower. That's pretty crazy. On my bus, I'm going to have the rear bedroom come all the way up to the back of the wheel wells. Over the right wheel well, I'll have my bunks. Over the left wheel well is going to be a closet. In front of that is going to be my bathroom. Your bathroom doesn't need to be that big. It would be best to have everything over the black water tank in my opinion. You definitely want the toilet directly over the tank. I also opted to leave the cooktop out. I had a travel trailer for a couple years and we never once used that thing. That's a personal preference though. Anyways, get used to some 55mph road trips! You could change the rear end gearing, but that's going to run you at least $1,500. Probably $2K.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote