Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Re: Conversion Encyclopedia - Floor Plans

Based on a 54(? [According to the CL ad]) pax International conventional bus . Been looking around for cheap used buses to convert, and may have a lead on one, so the floor plan is mutable. I'm planning on having a wet bath for the head; the transparencies (clear blue squares) are sky lights, probably replacing or modifying the escape hatches. Bunks are located over the rear wheel wells. Deleted windows will be either painted over and insulated from the inside or skinned over with sheet steel.

Done in MS Visio, with the driver's seat, console, stairs and floor sections from ProFantasy's Campaign Cartographer with Cosmographer add on.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Lost in a cornfield... but I've got a compass now :)
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V-10
Rated Cap: 20

Hey All,
Just wondering if there were anymore short/shuttle bus floor plans? Other than Roach's there seems to be quite a dearth of folks using this type of vehicle (ya I know they probably aren't skoolies strictly speaking ;?). I just bought a 2004 Ford E450 20 passenger transit bus I'd like to convert and would sure like to see more ideas for layouts, any links would be appreciated
;?D

Who knows why someday we all must die, we're all homeless boys and girls and we are never heard. It's such a lonely, lonely, lonely world, people turn their heads and walk on by, tell me is it worth just another try? - Todd Rundgren
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

[flash=640,360:1z8hlsyq]http://www.youtube.com/v/7vRKf5DNLSg?&rel=0[/flash:1z8hlsyq]

This is what I've been playing around with. Someday I might have time and money at the same time to start on the bus. :/
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #44

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Ford

We developed a floorplan for our Just Right Bus before we started building and changed it numerous times along the way. Here's the floorplan I came up with in April 2013

And here's the one that we ended up going with and some pics to explain how the floorplan is laid out.

A shot of the whole bus

Here's a view from the back with our two closets over the wheel wells

Here's the bookcase with the dropleaf table and two stools across from the couch
kellyetross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: cat 3208 T210
Rated Cap: 72
"Also Google works far better than the search on this forum. As Jatzy pointed out, type in your search words, followed by "skoolie.net, and you will get much better search results."

This might be the most helpful tip i have found on here. thank you
CostelloCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #46

I was wondering if anyone had any sites or floor plans they could recommend I take a look at. My idea is either higher the roof of the bus or take is off for a second level which would be utilized as a loft. Much like the green cedar skoolie that's on the internet. Thoughts would be appreciate d.
Amber-AKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E
Phil&Melat Skoolie

Helle

Here is our future house on wheels.
Please, give us your opinion and advice to improve it.

Thanks
Phil&Melat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #48

I'm new to skoolies. Never heard of the "window method" before but makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for sharing!
Padencobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Melat View Post
Helle

Here is our future house on wheels.
Please, give us your opinion and advice to improve it.

Thanks
Looks OK, but I would not want a bed that is closed in on 3 sides, I prefer a island style bed, easier to make up in the morning.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #50
Skoolie

Oh hey! I've seen that last one as a finished bus (well, not in person, but online!) Seems perfect for a couple with no kids. I'm kind of envious of those huge desks.

Check it out
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Lampman View Post
In the Thomas they're about 24" wide, about 48" long and 9" high at the top of the curve.
48" long, really?!!? Holy craptastic!!

Quote:
When coming aboard there is a swivel seat immediately to the left which is the co-pilot seat underway (there's a cover over the stairwell) and a comfortable lounge seat when stopped.
You sir are an F'ing genius!! If you stole the idea from someone else; if you don't tell, I won't. Hadn't thought of that. Expanding on this has anyone moved the co-pilot seat to be in line with the driver's seat? Covering the stairwell yet removable while still be crash rated... This needs some serious attention!!

Some kind of twist lock like a Navy hatch maybe.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #52
Bus Nut

BrewerBob
I think it was Onenationundergoat (I'm not positive)but he built a passenger seat that is really good. It may be what you're looking for. I'd love to see more of his design, so that a fuzzy old mind, like mine, could try to copy it
good luck.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
48" long, really?!!? Holy craptastic!!

You sir are an F'ing genius!! If you stole the idea from someone else; if you don't tell, I won't. Hadn't thought of that. Expanding on this has anyone moved the co-pilot seat to be in line with the driver's seat? Covering the stairwell yet removable while still be crash rated... This needs some serious attention!!

Some kind of twist lock like a Navy hatch maybe.
I have the (swivel) co-pilot seat in line with my drivers seat. I think. I don't really have any good pictures on hand but here are two which kinda show it. I don't have a stairwell hatch yet, but I am definitely planning on it. Your comment (perhaps unintended) has inspired me to try and get a fold down desk to go over the hatch so I can use the passenger seat as a working chair.

and since this thread is about floorplans, I guess I"ll post my sketchup screenpic here. Even though it's kind of outdated, halfassed and unlabeled.

TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
I have the (swivel) co-pilot seat in line with my drivers seat. I think. I don't really have any good pictures on hand but here are two which kinda show it. I don't have a stairwell hatch yet, but I am definitely planning on it. Your comment (perhaps unintended) has inspired me to try and get a fold down desk to go over the hatch so I can use the passenger seat as a working chair.
After thinking on it today, it might just be easier to move the front door to mid-ship. Almost certainly doing a roof raise so how much harder can it be to move a door? Plate over the old stairs and use it for storage. Line it with a cooler and have the passenger hand out cold drinks while driving?

I want do driver and passenger seats to swivel. Use it as a sitting area in an otherwise unused space.

I gotta go download the google floor plan app while I'm thinking about it again.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: MetroTrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 30

Basic layout for our shuttle bus. All we're doing is a place to sleep and sit while driving. The 4 captains chairs will swivel and there will be a stowable table between them.

The bunks are cot size for the kids and the bed in the rear is a king on a platform for storage underneath. There is access to the under-bed storage from the outside and I will make it a positive psi"box" that is sealed from the inside of the bus for a generator that vents the side. CO detectors in the bus are a must.

The bunks will have pegboard on the end for hanging/storage. Also, there will be under-bed RubberMaids for them.

The floor will be 1" foam board with 5/8" ply on top and snap-and-lock laminate. This was a charter bus which means the walls themselves are already insulated.

Anyway it's the 1st mock up. I'm sure it will change.

Yes, I am crazy.
dadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Here's what I plan to do for my families Skoolie. My son turns 16 this month so by the time our bus is ready he'll be at least 18 years old and I felt he would definitely need his own space rather than some cramped up bunk.
Also I've read about RE skoolies that have accidents and there isn't much protection for the driver so I decided that a Push Bar would at least give the driver a chance to make it out of an accident alive and hopefully in one piece. That would be me 99% of the time, but still it could be my wife or son and that's not an option.

Hope you like it and please comment on it.

Kelly John
Attached Thumbnails
Concept Conversion.png  
CanadianSkoolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:19 AM   #57
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSkoolee View Post
Here's what I plan to do for my families Skoolie. My son turns 16 this month so by the time our bus is ready he'll be at least 18 years old and I felt he would definitely need his own space rather than some cramped up bunk.
Also I've read about RE skoolies that have accidents and there isn't much protection for the driver so I decided that a Push Bar would at least give the driver a chance to make it out of an accident alive and hopefully in one piece. That would be me 99% of the time, but still it could be my wife or son and that's not an option.

Hope you like it and please comment on it.

Kelly John
Love the layout!, but from experience with my queen bed in that direction... Your design seems kind of ambitious. I've got about 1 foot left over, once I rotate my bed that direction. Not knocking it, I just hope your bus is wider than mine.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Love the layout!, but from experience with my queen bed in that direction... Your design seems kind of ambitious. I've got about 1 foot left over, once I rotate my bed that direction. Not knocking it, I just hope your bus is wider than mine.

Yeah I figured as much, but I can work with what little space there is and modify, well basically shrink to scale right! Either way that is the layout for us. The extra privacy is great for friends and family too when they come to visit us.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post

Just a thought but has anyone ever attempted to widen a bus? I know I'll be raising the roof nearly 2' so why not push out too? That is definitely ambitious. lol not sure if it's really possible or been done but once I have my bus I'll consider that briefly, then move on. Slide out's are way too ambitious, I watched a YouTuber doing just that and WOW! is that a huge undertaking. That would stretch a plan to 4 years or more. I'd probably be pushing up daisy's before I completed it. lol
Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSkoolee View Post
Just a thought but has anyone ever attempted to widen a bus? I know I'll be raising the roof nearly 2' so why not push out too? That is definitely ambitious. lol not sure if it's really possible or been done but once I have my bus I'll consider that briefly, then move on. Slide out's are way too ambitious, I watched a YouTuber doing just that and WOW! is that a huge undertaking. That would stretch a plan to 4 years or more. I'd probably be pushing up daisy's before I completed it. lol

Maximum width 102" [8'-6"] and 75' bumper to bumper in Ontario, not counting mirrors...well that's what it was 17 years ago when I was driving.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote