Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: Yellow bus illegal where?

Arizona doesn't care about color.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Yellow bus illegal where?

Thought I would post where I found the laws at this site allows you to look up most laws regulations "

You can find most States DMV office info and look up rules and laws starting here http://local.dmv.org/dmv-office-locations.php .

I have found over the years that what a clerk in the office says is not always what the Cop that pulls you over writes on the High priced invitation to Donate to the slush fund R.S.V.I.P.

If your going to travel in states that have strict rules on height length color Etc ... I suggest you print out or save the info on your smart phone in the event your stopped . as you can see here Georgia has no http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=GA Reciprocity with other states meaning might be ok in your state but here you still get to pay the fines and possibly sit parked until the issue is repaired . I had to tow my truck that had a 6 inch lift as the max allowed here is 2 inch and tyhe truck passed inspection when I retitled it from Texas to Georgia but the street cop still was able to enforce the actual rule .

PART 6 - EQUIPMENT OF SCHOOL BUSES

§ 40-8-110 - Identification and color
O.C.G.A. 40-8-110 (2010)
40-8-110. Identification and color

" http://policy.mofcom.gov.cn/english/...art-6-40-8-110

It shall be unlawful to operate:

(1) Any vehicle displaying the words "SCHOOL BUS" unless it meets the color, identification, and

equipment requirements set forth in Code Section 40-8-113 or 40-8-115;

(2) A vehicle without the words "SCHOOL BUS" but which is of a color and exhibits some equipment or identification which reasonably could cause a motorist to confuse it with a properly colored, identified, and equipped school bus;

(3) Any school bus for any purpose other than the transportation of school children to or from school or school activities without concealing or covering all markings thereon indicating "SCHOOL BUS"; or

(4) A vehicle which has been permanently converted from the purpose of transporting students to or from school or school activities without first having painted such vehicle some color other than the yellow required in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-110 and without having removed the stop arms, if any, and any other equipment required by Code Section 40-8-111.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickrunvanyardsale View Post
Alaska,

13 AAC 04.247. Color and special equipment on school buses

(a) Every school bus used for pupil transportation must be painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow (National Bureau of Standards Color #1305). No other vehicle may display this color. A bus originally painted and used as a school bus which is no longer used as a school bus must be painted a color other than National School Bus Chrome Yellow before it may be driven on a highway or vehicular way or area.
Thank you. Much needed info.
selfdetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 16
Minnesots DOT says I have to cover the School Bus markings, but nothing about the yellow. I am buying a bus on the east coast and driving it home with dealer plates, so I am looking for all the ideas. two days on the road and crossing several states. In Transit, black tape over everything, any other ideas will be welcome.
Dragrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrace View Post
Minnesots DOT says I have to cover the School Bus markings, but nothing about the yellow. I am buying a bus on the east coast and driving it home with dealer plates, so I am looking for all the ideas. two days on the road and crossing several states. In Transit, black tape over everything, any other ideas will be welcome.
Hey! A fellow MN-ite. You're stuck here too, eh? Unsurprisingly, MN DOT does not know the laws. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.448

Quote:
169.448 OTHER BUSES.
Subdivision 1.Restrictions on appearance; misdemeanor. (a) A bus that is not used as a school bus may not be operated on a street or highway unless it is painted a color significantly different than national school bus glossy yellow.
(b) A bus that is not used as a school bus or Head Start bus may not be operated if it is equipped with school bus or Head Start bus-related equipment and printing.
(c) A violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.
(d) This subdivision does not apply to a school bus owned by or under contract to a school district operated as a charter or leased bus.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the warning, selfdetermined. I didn't realize what an ordeal I bought into. I am hoping the 'dealer' plate will get me through the gauntlet. Don't know what else to do.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Chevrolet G30
Engine: 6.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 7+2
I have seen the buses painted with spray paint. I am considering this myself. My bus dealer took all the labeling off but the Route number. I never thought about the bus still being yellow being an issue. It is in no way glossy anymore.
Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrace View Post
Thanks for the warning, selfdetermined. I didn't realize what an ordeal I bought into. I am hoping the 'dealer' plate will get me through the gauntlet. Don't know what else to do.
Oh, it gets worse if you're trying to do this legally. Much worse.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/faqs.html#private (Edited for clarity)
Quote:
A driver is required to obtain a CDL to operate any of the following vehicles:
A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 26,000 pounds;
A combination of vehicles with a combined GVW of more than 26,000 pounds; with a trailer of more than 10,000 pounds GVW
A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more people including the driver;
Any size vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards; or
Any size vehicle outwardly equipped and identified as a school bus.

A driver is not required to obtain a CDL to operate any of the following vehicles:
A recreational vehicle operated for personal use
But to be considered a recreational vehicle you must have (from https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=168.002):
Quote:
Subd. 17.Motor home. (a) "Motor home" means a recreational vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters. The motor home has a living unit built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to the chassis of, a motor vehicle or van.
(b) A motor home must contain permanently installed, independent, life-support systems that meet the American National Standards Institute standard number A119.2 for recreational vehicles and provide at least four of the following facilities, two of which must be from the systems listed in clauses (1), (5), and (6): (1) a cooking facility with liquid propane gas supply, (2) a refrigerator, (3) a self-contained toilet or a toilet connected to a plumbing system with a connection for external water disposal, (4) a heating or air conditioning system separate from the motor vehicle engine, (5) a potable water supply system including a sink with a faucet either self-contained or with connections for an external source, and (6) a separate 110-125 volts electrical power supply.
(c) For purposes of this subdivision, "permanently installed" means built into or attached as an integral part of a chassis or van, and designed not to be removed except for repair or replacement. A system that is readily removable or held in place by clamps or tie-downs is not permanently installed.
Ok, so assuming you bought a bus that can seat more than 15 people (which is basically every bus) or certainly a full sized bus which is over 26k pounds - you need a Class B CDL. Oh, and now that you're CDL land, if the bus has air brakes, you have to get an air brake endorsement (it's actually getting the restriction removed, but I digress). If the vehicle is capable of seating more than 15 people, you must get a passenger endorsement even if you will not be transporting any passengers. And the CDL behind-the-wheel test has to be done in the same type of vehicle for which you are applying for a license. Which means you need a bus (perhaps with air brakes) for your test. So I hope you have access to one. I wasn't able to find any place in the Twin Cities metro that had a bus for rent. Interstate Truck Driving School has one but they don't run it in the winter. And to top it all off, the DMV I went to was backed up a month+ to schedule a road test.

And then there's insurance. While it's a bus, not an RV (see above) you have to insure it as such. Good luck finding someone to insure a bus without a min. year long commercial policy in the thousands of dollars. After about 15 companies, I finally found a local agent who'd do it for ~$100 /mo.

So pretty quickly these costs start adding up. And up. Just for transportation home. This is why a lot of people just wing it. Don't speed. Don't cut people off. Drive carefully and stop at railroad crossings. Don't use the sign/lights and whatever you do don't pick up any kids! ;) At the end of the day, you'll be driving a school bus. Have you ever seen a school bus pulled over?

Another option to consider is uShip. Or another method of hiring someone else to drive it. That was my plan for my AZ bus. Found a local school bus driver who wanted to make some extra cash. Wanted his First Student hourly rate for drive time, plus all expenses. Since I was going to have all of those expenses myself, it turned out to be cheaper to hire that guy than it would've been to get the CDL myself. I think the lowest uShip offer was something like $2500 from Phoenix to Mpls. Woof.

Anyway. Sorry for the word vomit.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Also, I think while you're operating it as a CMV you'll have to stop at weigh stations.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdetermined View Post
Also, I think while you're operating it as a CMV you'll have to stop at weigh stations.
Selfdetermined, I have that question myself, by driving a bus that is registered as RV, do you have to stop at a weigh stations?

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
Selfdetermined, I have that question myself, by driving a bus that is registered as RV, do you have to stop at a weigh stations?

J
I believe that's state-dependent. I think many exempt non-commercial vehicles. Some do not provide such an exemption. Granted, I'm no lawyer, and I can't find the statutes right now.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
As a company, we've driven about 40 buses back from the various places we've bought them across the country and have never, not once, had an issue with the law, been pulled over, or stopped at weigh stations.
Im sure some part of that is luck, but school buses are a special kind of camo
The more it looks like it's still in service, the less likely you'll raise eyebrows, but the more likely you'll be in trouble if someone pulled you over.
Id say--read the cdl manual to know how to operate it safely, get insurance, make sure all the lights are good and then drive that SOB legally and responsibly home--I've never heard of anyone who's gotten in trouble on the way home
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

You can't get insurance (at least not insurance that'll actually pay out) for a vehicle you're planning on driving illegally. Driving a CMV without a CDL is illegal. Period. There's no "driving that SOB legally". There's driving it responsibly, and safely but not legally.

Now, all that said, I agree - I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. And I've never seen a school bus pulled over. But just because the risk is (relatively) low, doesn't mean the act is any less illegal or the punishment will be any less severe should you get nailed with something. To each their own. Know the decision you're making, and accept the outcome.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

See, for me, Texas does not have these restrictions. It is a one ton van on the title, and it is commercial due to coding in its vin number. I will not convert it to an RV, and it is under the passenger limit no matter how it is configured for being a passenger transport vehicle that requires a CDL. I just needed a rolling lounge.
All in all, Minnesota sounds like it is off my list of places I need to see. Way too complicated for me. Glad it is not between me and Alaska!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdetermined View Post
You can't get insurance (at least not insurance that'll actually pay out) for a vehicle you're planning on driving illegally. Driving a CMV without a CDL is illegal. Period. There's no "driving that SOB legally". There's driving it responsibly, and safely but not legally.

Now, all that said, I agree - I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. And I've never seen a school bus pulled over. But just because the risk is (relatively) low, doesn't mean the act is any less illegal or the punishment will be any less severe should you get nailed with something. To each their own. Know the decision you're making, and accept the outcome.
I agree entirely! And by legally, I meant, "Obey all moving-traffic laws".
If you don't have a CDL, and its over 26k, etc, you can't drive it legally in that way.
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

My local used car dealer/body shop owner lent me a dealer plate and we are pretending this vehicle is on it's way to the conversion center, which it is. I am meerly an ignorant driver, and I know that is no excuse. All the School bus signs will be painted or taped over, but there still are school bus paraphanalia all over this rig. stop sign, front bumper kid blocker, red lights up top in front. and seats. Perhaps I will strip this rig before I head home. and Paint a large RV-IN TRANSIT- It will be registered as an RV as soon as I get home, and again, the DOT lady said just go in and say that is what it is. No problem. It might depend on who comes to help you at the counter. Thanks for all the input, I am not going to get licensed. This bus was called a 19 passenger, but I cannot figure out how they came up with that. As far as I can tell the bus part is only 10 X8, a mini bus.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Dragrace, Mine is about that big, and it is called a 7 + 2 because of the wheelchair ramp. I guess it depends upon how many kids you shove in the seats.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Godspeed Dragrace. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Looking forward to seeing your conversion pics!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I drove my 59 seater back from Augusta, ga painted yellow without a issue. I drove around SC without an issue. I've now painted it (mostly) grey so that it's more clearly MY bus.

When I registered it with the DMV they registered it at 24,000lbs so that I wouldn't need a CDL to drive it.

Having driven it a bit, the highways are easier because they're wider. Town driving has always been my least favorite activity but with the length of this bus, I would be in worry mode. I've driven it on country roads and because they're narrow, it's qute scary. I've found it's a case of concentrating on the road 150 yards ahead.

SC drivers are SCARY... I was indicating to turn left (and I KNOW my indicators work - I checked them) and some turkey - just as I was starting my turn shot past me on the left and on a narrow country lane.
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome thread! Very useful info you all!
Trybabytri is offline   Reply With Quote