Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #1

Year: 1986
Chassis: Blue Bird
Hello Bus People

I am new around here, and I just wanted to say hi and that I have been snooping around these parts for years now. I am currently re-configuring my 1986 Blue Bird school bus home, to have better use of space and address a few issues I was having last season. One being heat ( Have acquired wood stove.) Another being that I the front door doesn't close from the outside, and the back door is blocked my the bed.

I am looking for some lay out inspiration. Does anyone out there have their kitchen in the back of the bus and then the bed room area in the front? Or what would be some lay out options to keep that back door as the main entrance and exit.

Although my darling Tusk, as I have named her, runs like a hot damn, she is stationary for the next few years, so I am mostly designing with a staying put sort of mentality.

Would appreciate any advice

sartuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Hello, and welcome!

I have a floor plan somewhat similar to what you're asking about. It looks like I never scanned a blueprint of it though. I have a completely open floor plan, so there aren't exactly rooms, but it would probably translate easily enough.

My bed is at the very front of the bus, tucked into a bench when we aren't using it. My kitchen is on top/behind of the rear wheel well. We even have a woodstove installed approximately in the middle of the bus.

What you're thinking about is absolutely an option, even if you're dividing up your area into actual separate rooms. Just keep looking, you'll find stuff you like.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Year: 1986
Chassis: Blue Bird
Thanks,
I am keeping an open plan too.
I love the idea of the kitchen at the back, and of using that back door as the main entrance
but can't figure out a way to make the bed room look.... i don't know... right.
sartuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1989
Rated Cap: 71
Yeah, I understand the problem. Part of what makes the bedroom up front easier for me is that my bed folds away. A full Queen bed that is stationary would be a little odd up front, but I think it could still work well. If you build a wall behind the driver's seat, with a door/passthrough on the passenger's side, it would help practically and aesthetically. The wall, though it may feel contrary to the open floor plan, will give the bed its own sense of space. Plus it'll cut off that drafty front section of the bus.

Food for thought.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Hello everybody, i'm a new member! My name is Simona, i'm from Italy and i have an International school bus converted in rv His name is Gonzalo Guerrero El grillo, and it's gonna be a photo studio and a little pastry lab I'm in California right Know and in a few days i'm going to go to Mexico. I'm here with my boyfriend and we bought the bus in Richmond, we found it in craigslist and we make the rv conversion in Oakland in 1 month We need an help to understand if we need to have an insurance (because in mexico we need to make another one), if we can make one for a few days and if the border is easy to pass through without insurance. At DMV they told us that for tourist in not obligatory to have an insurance but we don't want have trouble! Could you help us? Thanks lot and sorry for my english
simsimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
To drive a vehicle in the us, or to even tag it, you need an insurance policy.
Driving an uninsured vehicle is socially IRRESPONSIBLE and can get you sued for mucho denero.
How did you get a tag with no insurance?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Hi EastCoastCB, we are tourists with international license and at dmv we have made the registration without any insurance, they told us that for a tourist and for the first 30 days you can not have the insurance, so i don't know, maybe it happens only in California? In addition, an insurance agency told me that you can generally purchase insurance at the border. I'm not understanding anything
Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
That makes sense.
Most europeans have lots of insurance anyhow. My german friends tell me they have to buy expensive general liability type insurance.
Im sorry if I come off as rude.
In your case I'd call ahead and ask. Find out from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
gee, all the drama and heartache i went through to get legal and all i really needed to do was cross the border. go figure.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Hi claydbal, so you have had the same experience? Could tell me more in detail what's happen and what you know about it? Thank you very much
Simona
p.s. EastCoastCB everything is ok
Old 02-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
no, not the same experience as i could not be exempt from having insurance. i was poking fun at the laws that requiree U.S. citizens to have insurance at all times, yet allow non citizens to drive without insurance.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L 12v Cummins @ 230HP Allison MD 3060
Rated Cap: 33,000 lb GVW
Nice bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartuso View Post
I am new around here, and I just wanted to say hi and that I have been snooping around these parts for years now. I am currently re-configuring my 1986 Blue Bird school bus home, to have better use of space and address a few issues I was having last season. One being heat ( Have acquired wood stove.) Another being that I the front door doesn't close from the outside, and the back door is blocked my the bed.

I am looking for some lay out inspiration. Does anyone out there have their kitchen in the back of the bus and then the bed room area in the front? Or what would be some lay out options to keep that back door as the main entrance and exit.

Although my darling Tusk, as I have named her, runs like a hot damn, she is stationary for the next few years, so I am mostly designing with a staying put sort of mentality.

Would appreciate any advice
Hi!

Just noticed your bus, and love the concept! I would love to have a large geographic printed floor, or perhaps even the ceiling! If you don't plan on driving her much, I think the entrance from the back would be really neat. You could even have a little faux porch that you back up to, where you could hang a hammock and install stairs. Either way, it looks really great and I wish you luck on furthering your journey of alternative living spaces.

You have a very cute pup, as well!

Cheers,

Claire
WinslowtheBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lay out