Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #1721
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mornin' Guys ---

Jack...
absolutely, Both features are still in place and very handy. I need to go back today and alter the bracket I made by a few degrees to take full advantage of them. This whole steering thing has been a...challenge (aka; PITA), to say the least.

Caddie
...I used the aluminum wing nuts just to set the depth of the screws while welding them from the other side of the sheet metal. I needed that brace to be removable. The screws will let me take it off if needed but I have decided to use flange nuts instead of the wings.

Back to work.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #1722
Bus Geek

Decent day today --- After more measuring, some graph paper work with a compass and calculating angles, I determined that I needed to take 1-1/4" inch out of the top section of my steering shaft set up to get the right action. Ran it over to my friendly neighborhood machine shop and sure enough, they threw it on a lathe and took out the needed amount. Back to my shop and with a little welding...waalah! It appears to fit and work without binding.

Then got to work on my much modified brake pedal. It too now looks like it might do the job.

Here is the chopped steering shaft (one of two necessary).

Here it is all melted together (the welding would look better if I had the right grinder).

The brake pedal with the foot pad thingie cut off and the new parts. One store-bought, one hand made.

The new homemade pad mount welded on.

And with the nifty little billet aluminum, pad mounted.

And, finally...

...the tiny little space all this crap has to get crammed into. Next comes a homebuilt footwell/box to close everything in and keep my feet out of the rain. I will probably replace the magnet holding the steering shaft in place with something else before hitting the road.

ONWARD!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #1723
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
It will be easy to get at the injectors should the need arise. Coming together nicely, me thinks you should get a raise!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #1724
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wow talk about cramming it in there!! nice work though! the steering shaft is always tricky in any street rod.. i see more than not guys use a cavalier column and end up with a wheel thats close to horizontal.. yours looks like it will be in a much nicer position!
-Christopher
Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #1725
Bus Geek

Yeah...I'm STILL fritzing with the angles on my steering. Will make what I hope to be the "final" adjustment tomorrow. Getting close though.

Too damned many floppy parts!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #1726
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Too damned many floppy parts!

then just weld em together
-Christopher
Old 06-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #1727
Bus Geek

That was tempting at times Cadillac --- But...today I think I finally have all of them where they need to be. Did some drawings and calculations and cutting and re-welding and wound up tilting it all forward another five degrees. I wanted it almost against the windshield in the forward most position. This column is adjustable in & out as well as the tilt so this will give me the most latitude for adjustment.

Here it is in the full forward position. I wanted a shot with it lowered but all my camera batteries crapped out at once. More on the way from Amazon.

This let me finalize the plan for the tiny footwell. In the future, anyone who wishes to drive this rig will have to have size four feet! Well...almost.

ONWARD!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #1728
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. You will love being able to steer with the wheel forward and almost flat. It makes the rig feel like a "real" bus and lets you change the position of your back when you drive. I'm beginning to see a speedy completion of your bus and look forward to a meet up to sniff each others---er---ah---tires! Jack
Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #1729
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Hey Tango. You will love being able to steer with the wheel forward and almost flat. It makes the rig feel like a "real" bus
THIS!!!!

being that i love to drive my bus .. one of the things i love is the big steeriung wheel that is in the upper position..

Tango - this looks good.. you also have room across that windshield that a solution similar to what im using for my A/C ducting could be used in yours for your your defrost / Dash vents...

-Christopher
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #1730
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
WOW! Lookin' great.

Telescopic/tilt will work mint on your misfit project.

You machined the slots for your hardware in the brake pedal, what did you use for the inlay?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #1731
Bus Geek

Mornin' All --- Things will be slow on the Chevy for a couple of days. I have an art project I'm just getting started on that will keep me busy off & on for the next month or so. May have to only work nights on the bus. Unfortunately, it is a freebie for a friend and won't contribute any pesos to the bus project. But...being that it is a big one (it will be a sculpted cement bench about twenty feet long that will look like a fallen tree)...I was just informed that my bar tab there will be covered...for life!

(They would have gotten out cheaper paying the $25 grand this thing would have otherwise cost!)

Jack...I am hoping to get moving a little quicker now. The whole steering thing has held up numerous other projects that can now move ahead.

Cadillac...Since my "dash" is also my "firewall"...not much can go there. But I can see one of the evaporators on that site you posted going overhead, just above the windshield. Thanks for the info!

Redd...the machined aluminum part of the brake pedal came from a hot rod shop online. Speedway as I recall. The rubber inserts are included. The actual pedal mechanism was from a Chevy van. I straightened it, cut the whole pad off, made & welded the steel mount, then attached the billet aluminum to that. There are tons of different configuration pedals avail, I just need a small one to work in the limited space I have there.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #1732
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, I couldn't find my notes on your web site where you shared your cement art. I know there are a lot of new Skoolies who are following your build who won't have seen it and I'd like to see it again--don't be bashful, anyone who sees your work will be very impressed. Jack
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #1733
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- just determined this project will get started this Wednesday. It's looks like the first rain-free day in two months here. Let's just hope I get enough of them to wrap this thing up in the next month or so.

Meanwhile, for anyone so interested in a really esoteric (strange) art form...below is some info on Ferrocement Faux Bois. Hand sculpted cement & concrete that looks like old, weathered wood. Yeah...I know, say what?

Faux Bois In Concrete
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #1734
Bus Geek

That stuff is just amazing--and you wouldn't much have to worry about someone rolling off your antique wheel barrow from your front yard
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #1735
Bus Geek

Just for fun...here is a sketch of this project. WAAAAY off topic, but what the hey...

Will be chopping rebar most of the day tomorrow and welding it all up after that so bus pix will be in short supply for a few days...weeks...whatever.

PS...this will be under a big cottonwood tree and overlooking the washer pitching court.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #1736
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
That ferrocement faus boix is amazing. I find decorative concrete in all forms (stamped, stained, cast, for floors, countertops, furniture, etc) fascinating. It'd be great to be able to create that kind of stuff, but I'm afraid there just isn't enough right-brain here to hack it (thinking of the logo at the top corner on Brent Wright's The Right Brain site).
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #1737
Bus Geek

LOL! Had to laugh at the "Right Brain" thing. But actually, I've found that engineering types take to this very well. I have been teaching it for over eight years now to all types, but since so much of it really is engineering, the geeks do amazingly well. There is a lot of formulating and structural analysis to be considered when putting many of these pieces together. And while I am not exactly a math whiz...there is a fair amount of that too.

Hey...if an "artist" can do it...anybody can!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #1738
Bus Geek

More goodies arrived! - Finally got the remote oil filter head I have been looking for. It's a Cummins part, but no one at their counter could find it. Fortunately there are several very good forums for older Cummins engines owners and I was able to track down a proper part number. Now just have to figure out where the heck to mount it.

Still waiting on camera batteries from China...so pix may be a few days coming. Keep yer pants on Jack!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #1739
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tang,

I keep my pants on one leg at a time........

Sounds like you're getting close to the end!

When I get a chance I'll need to stop by sometime soon........

M
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #1740
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Jack --- just determined this project will get started this Wednesday. It's looks like the first rain-free day in two months here. Let's just hope I get enough of them to wrap this thing up in the next month or so.

Meanwhile, for anyone so interested in a really esoteric (strange) art form...below is some info on Ferrocement Faux Bois. Hand sculpted cement & concrete that looks like old, weathered wood. Yeah...I know, say what?

Faux Bois In Concrete

That some awesome work Tango! ...showed the Ol' Doll your cement artwork and she was all over it....she'd love a bench in her garden.
Closed Thread