Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Finally Bought Another Bus!

my neighbor in town has a 40 footer parked full time- parallel in front of his house.
The 49 acres is so far removed from society that I can park a hundred buses there. Fl isn't too bad for buses.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Here in sunny Kalifornia I can't even park my bus on the city street to load it---because its over 8' tall and over 10K CGVW . I checked my ballot very carefully before voting but there wasn't a box to mark for "NO Mayer This Time"
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Here in sunny Kalifornia I can't even park my bus on the city street to load it---because its over 8' tall and over 10K CGVW . I checked my ballot very carefully before voting but there wasn't a box to mark for "NO Mayer This Time"
Which town in Kali, you from,, I thought those signs only applied to commercial vehicals
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Watch out for your local City Council. They can adopt and expand on such things as they wish. If I lived in the city right next door, I'd be good to go--but I'll keep voting (and bitching). Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

Glad you made it back! How was the trip? Snow? I didn't get any sort of tags, etc. for the trip back. Of course, I only had 170 miles, and knew the type of roads I was on are only sometimes patrolled. Basically crossed my fingers.

I used to live in Santa Barbara...unless you have land, I'd have never been able to do this in Kalifornia! Of course, "having land" and "Santa Barbara"...those two just don't go together unless you're wealthy wealthy wealthy. Like, triple wealthy! . I live 2 hours north, so there were options, thankfully. Less regulated & fewer sticks to go up posteriors!

How much did you spend on gas for the way back, would you say? How was your MPG?

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
Bus Geek

I'll get pics up soon!
My trip back was pretty epic. About 800 miles. It came with good tires, a new battery because one was really bad, and a full tank of fuel! It seems to get around 9mpg maybe? I only spent $150 on fuel to get home since it came full. When it got to a quarter tank the first day, I topped it off for $80, and just before I hit florida the next day topped it off again with $75 and still have half a tank. It runs great and cruises at just below 65mph on flat ground.

It has air ride in the rear, and an air operated door. My dad is a trucker so he is searching around for an air ride seat to replace the horrid stock bucket seat. That thing killed my back!

It took me about 16 hours total driving to get from ky to fl. I stopped several times at rest areas to stretch and use the facilities. A good friend followed me back in my car, THANKS RON!!!

One really good sign was that when we picked it up and started it- it hadn't been started in many months and It had been mostly unused for the last three years. But even in the snowy 15 degree weather it started IMMEDIATELY! no coaxing it, no turning over slowly and laboriously- it fired right up like it never sat. It still does.

Since it was snowy and I was ready to get back home, I drove with no plates. To get my temp tag I would have had to drive 4 hours to Frankfort, and that would add nearly a whole day to my trip. None of the troopers noticed and we made it with no issues. Turns out the local tag offices in ky are allowed to issue travel tags, but they don't out of laziness, and they make you drive to Frankfort to the state dmv office one stop shop.

Saw a few cool buses on the way. One deep blue Scenicruiser and a sweet skoolie conversion!
Will post some pics soon. Already got a bunch of the seats out my first day back!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Heading home in this pic. Drives really nice!

I couldn't wait to get those nasty old seats out and make some room.

Then that gross rubber flooring was removed. Smells better already.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #28
Bus Geek

My apologies for the images sizing, I'm going well enough just to post the pics!

I need to fix and re-seal the doghouse on this bus. It needs it badly. I also will need to replace one air spring on the rear.
Still fighting rivets. Thats going to take me most of the week I think.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Looking good my friend!
mtunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Thanks, Mike. If these rivets would quit spinning, my life would be so much easier! I'm now angle grinding the centers out after air hammering out the pins. That air hammer/chisel was only 18.99 at lowes. Definitely worth it.
I've also decided to sheet metal over all the side windows and go with something different. None of mine are cracked but they are all pretty worn out, so I figure why replace them with school bus windows.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Happy turkey day to all!
I'm finally making good progress with the rivets and panel removal. My Ward/AmTran is spot welded all along the top edge of the galvanized side panels. I'm now a PRO at removing rivets, the grinder isn't even used anymore.
I quit taking pics and just worked till dark thirty again yesterday. Today is my first day off, although technically I went out to the bus this morning and put up all my tools and checked on things.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

Looking good! Sounds like a strong runner too!

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Thanks, and yes its a very good running bus. Starts with no fuss or drama even below freezing. Anything that will make an 800 mile maiden voyage should be good!

Yesterday I popped off more rivets. I'm almost done with the side panels. I hope the ceilings arent so tough, my back and neck are tore up!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Hi CB, You're making nice progress! I was wondering, under the padding that was at the top of your side panels (bottom of window) was there a flat piece of aluminum, mine does and I can't see if there is a lip in it or how it's attached I'm hesitant to start prying on it and messing up the window above
Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #35
Bus Geek

I don't have the aluminum trim strip. It could be spot welded under there, but I'd have to look into it.
If you're getting rid of it, then I'd say just carefully peel some away and go slow till you figure out how its held on there.
My guess would be that yours is spot welded like mine and they put the trim on there to cover the spot welds. I just trimmed below the spot welds with an air chisel. Works great.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Sounds good, I'll give that a try, thank you.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Wayne/ IHC
Chassis: L-163 International
Engine: SD240 / 4 sp.
Rated Cap: 39

Great bus!
Tbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Thanks again to all for the kind words and encouragement. These BIG projects can be very stressful. Yesterday I spent about five hours on getting the rivets off of ONE interior panel. The center pins were all corroded from the years of moisture and refused to be driven out. Brute force with an air chisel was the only cure. Problem is my compressor is a cheapo 6 gallon Bostitch. Oh well- its free/borrowed. Two or three rivets and I'm having to let the compressor catch up. Otherwise its just pissing in the wind below about 100psi.
Although its been a real witch of a job, I'm glad to be getting these panels off. The mold and grossness behind them is definitely something I want out of there before i go living in this full time, which is the plan. I'm hoping the ceiling panels aren't as difficult, but I suspect otherwise.
I'm looking at how the windows are put in, and contemplating my options as far as paneling over them. I'm determined to get rid of ALL the school bus windows and replace them with better sealed, better insulated units. Probably little RV slider units.
I LOVE the Ward. What a bus!
Been a fan of anything International since my 73 Scout Terra pickup in high school. That was one tough truck, and its still on the road (and off-road) today. That 345 was amazing.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #39
Bus Geek

On another note- I'm going to look into removing the warning buzzer for the exits and windows. I don't think there is an ignition lockout.
Anyone with a Ward/Amtran have any knowledge of this to share?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #40
Bus Geek

I ordered two 29" squares cut from 14 gauge steel to cover the holes that will be left from the roof exits. I just threw my tape up and measured enough so that there would be plenty of extra material. I think 16 gauge would have been fine, though. I think I'll use 16ga for covering up the window openings.
All the side panels are out of the interior, and I am about to start on the ceilings. I'll be happy to be done with rivet removal.

Oh and on another note- Rural King has a sale going on till the 13th. I need one new battery. I went in yesterday and the group 31 they carry is made by Exide and the sale brings the price down to $70!