Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #201
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Somewhereinusa

sojourner

The GM cruise unit (terminals A through K) simply get wired into the appropriate wiring in the bus. You need three NO MC pushbutton switches for control. Or, you can hack an original GM switch to put on the column. I went with the Dakota Digital box for a couple of reasons. 1. You can't use the signal from the transmission to do two things. It will split the signal. 2. My speedometer is very inaccurate and the DD box will correct that. I had originally thought to use a hall effect sensor on the driveshaft, but couldn't find a reasonably priced one. I have since found out that one can be built for a few dollars.

The original plans and wiring diagram were given to me by a fellow bus nut, He has it installed and working on his 4104. I used that info and the info I found here
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...driven-tb.html double check his diagram and come up with my own.
I don't know what I originally searched for probably something like "DIY GM cruise control"

I still haven't installed mine, I'm still contemplating how I'm going to attach the cable to the pedal so that nothing gets tangled up. There are also more pressing matters like getting the heat
finished and getting the shower built. SWMBO says that the shower is a deal breaker on going somewhere for more than a day. Women!!!

I kinda out of the groove of working on the bus this winter, I spent most of the winter in the house working on and improving some ideas for various projects.

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #202
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

Hey Dick,
Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated. I hear ya on getting to work on your bus. I have a bit of the same issue trying to get some projects out of the way that have been hanging on for way too long. It's a kind of self discipline (of sorts) to not allow me full time on it until I get these other things out of the way. That doesn't keep me from slipping over and doing a little something every now and then . Can't wait to get to the point of being burned out on it though!! Of course my wife can't wait until I get this thing done. Sometimes I think she's more excited than I am. That's a good thing.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #203
Bus Crazy

As always I seem to do nothing for a while then scurry around trying to get something finished before I go somewhere.
Shower has 4 walls and is usable again. I am now on the second shower head that I don't like. The ceiling is slats and is being glued up so, it's going a bit slow, have to wait for one to set before gluing the next one. Light fixture will be replaced by one I'll build when It's too cold out to do things outdoors.For now I'll use a shower curtain, door can also wait until bad weather. I also have to find the hinge I bought last winter. I put in that "place" for save keeping. Boy, I wish I could find that place, it must have all kinds of neat goodies that I've bought in 65 years.

I'm really liking the remote controls for lighting I started using. All of the wiring can be hidden, I have four separate circuits for each room and I dont' have to cut holes for switches. Plans are to just build some sort of mounting bracket for the transmitter. Remote door lock now has outside porch light and front dome light on it.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #204
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L 12v Cummins @ 230HP Allison MD 3060
Rated Cap: 33,000 lb GVW

Hola!
Just wanted to commend you on your amazing exterior work, we've been considering similar color choices but just haven't quite made the leap. The window consolidation is a thing of beauty, not to mention blue birds look great in blue.

Also, your old ventilation fan adaptation was inspired! We need an exhaust fan but have yet to figure out a cool method. You are doing a great job! It's nice to see added utility while still maintaining the preexisting structural components.

Look forward to following your progress!
WinslowtheBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #205
Bus Crazy

WinslowtheBluebird
Thanks, it all stems from not liking the way that all of the "store bought" stuff is made of cheap plastic. And being cheap.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #206
Bus Crazy

Okay, I'm off on another tangent. There's probably medication for that, but what fun would that be. I had every intention of starting right away on the floor. I took out the temporary shelving so that I could get at the floor. Then, I had all of this "stuff" that needed to go somewhere, so I figured I should at least get the rear closet done so that I could neatly (not a word that comes easily to me) store the fore mentioned "stuff" so I wouldn't have to move it again. I finished framing the closet and got the insulation in and the cedar lining on the walls. Started on the ceiling and I should put a light in every closet and cabinet. (I'm old and need lots of light) I looked at the available LED light fixtures for that kind of thing. UGLY :thumbdown: not very bright :thumbdown: plastic :thumbdown: expensive :thumbdown: Nothing seemed to fit into the very rigid eclectic plans I have, in my head, of what I want in MY bus.
So, I made my own. Total expenditure about $20 for ten lights. LED light boards $15 from Ebay, clear lacquer $5 from local hardware store.
I experimented with some lenses, but they all cut down the light too much. These will pretty much be hidden from view from anyone but me anyway.(Don't question the logic of why I :thumbdown: the comercially available ones for something you wouldn't see) These little led light boards put out a lot of light.

I have an old Craftsman drill press that has a fast spindle speed of 8550 that works quite well for this kind of thing. It's the first shop tool I bought, used, probably 40 years ago.

The tool I use the most is a table saw I got when dad died, it sat in the barn for a looooong time befor I got the nerve to use it. Shortly after he got it, I was less than ten, he was showing my brother and I how to safely use it. He almost cut his thumb off! There was a trip to the hospital involved, we never did that sort of thing. I never used that saw all of the time I lived at home. Even after I got my machine shop I wouldn't use a table saw. I guess I got over it, I really enjoy using a table saw now. As far as I remember it never did have any kind of guard on anything. The stand it is sitting on is the stand that moms wash tubs sat on.

It has a nice cast iron table is still a lot more accurate than anything similar that you can buy today.

If anyone is interested I have more of my build posted on the nomadisista site.
http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1642

Dick
Old 11-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #207
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Nice work on the lights
Old 11-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #208
Bus Geek

Turned out great...must be bright as hell for a closet type space...very cool
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #209
Bus Crazy

Another aaaah moment.

It's been a while, between procrastination, weather and laziness, I've come to another aaaah moment. I finally got the tubing layed for the heat radiant heat. There seemed to be no end to the things I "had to do before I could do something before I could do something,etc" Only a few more connections to make and one heater box to construct but, this was the hard part.

Insulation with channels routed to lay tubing in.

All of this (140 feet) goes in there.

Tubing with heat transfer plates in. Ready to lay floor.

Heads up for anyone doing one of these systems.
One of the setbacks I had. I needed some more antifreeze. In the process of doing the reading for the reorder, I discovered I had used the wrong stuff.I thought I had read everything when I placed my original order but, what I used isn't for a system that has aluminum in it. I really think they changed it sometime in the interim. After a conversation with the tech people to make sure I couldn't make what I had safe, I have to flush out what I had and put in the correct stuff. Since I'll be flushing with water, I have to make sure the temps will be above freezing long enough to get that done. I've made connections so I can use well water to flush and air to blow it out. Also out the $300 for the wrong stuff.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #210
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Ahh nuts I hate it when I do that.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #211
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ditto that. But then, always chalk it up to being hard to get good help when I do it myself Ha Ha. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #212
Bus Geek

damn that sucks,
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #213
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
WOW
I can't wait to hear how the radiant heating works for you!
What is the r-value of your floor insulation under the pipes?
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #214
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 90
somewhereinusa,

Looking beautiful, brother! I have a similar bus ('92 AARE) and a similar plan for hydronic heat! some questions for you:

1. What are you doing for flooring on top of your foam?

2. Is that the home depot Pex, or where did you get it? What's the minimum bend radius it feels comfortable with?

3. What kind of coolant did you have to get to get aluminum compatibility?

Your shower is looking great too. (Really the whole bus!) I've been following your build for a long time, and am finally doing my own.
JDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #215
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
really good stuff, somewhere! digging the shower man. oh, i just mailed ya $20, ya think ya can cross ship 10 of those fancy DIY LED lights to me? lol
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #216
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDecker View Post
somewhereinusa,

Looking beautiful, brother! I have a similar bus ('92 AARE) and a similar plan for hydronic heat! some questions for you:

1. What are you doing for flooring on top of your foam?

It's 3/4 inch plywood, really nice stuff. It has a plastic coating on both sides. The coating seems to hold up really well. I got 11 sheets for $110 dollars at an RV surplus place

2. Is that the home depot Pex, or where did you get it? What's the minimum bend radius it feels comfortable with?

I buy most of my pex from pex universe. the tubing is here.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/bpr1210-1...ier-pex-tubing

I spaced the tubing about 6.5 in apart with a nice radius at the curves, That's a bit less than recommended but It seems to work ok

3. What kind of coolant did you have to get to get aluminum
compatibility?

This is the coolant I used. Whole system takes about 15 gal.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hercules-...minum-5-Gallon

Your shower is looking great too. (Really the whole bus!) I've been following your build for a long time, and am finally doing my own.
Charles M
I can't wait to hear how the radiant heating works for you!
What is the r-value of your floor insulation under the pipes?

I've had the heat working in the bedroom and the original front bus heater for over a year and works quite well. Last winter with outside temp of -20 I was able to get warm reasonably comfortable with just that and one electric space heater
The insulation is 2" foam board listed at R10

Dick
Old 01-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #217
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
One of my favorite bus conversions on here! Great work!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #218

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: T444E International
Rated Cap: 78
This bus is looking GREAT! Glad to see it coming along!

- Andy
Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #219
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I finished up the hitch today. I'll either have to move "stuff" or move the bus to try out hitching up the towd.

This is the bracing I put inside the bumper. Final version changed a little. I had to cut notches in the brace to clear air conditioning pulleys.

Putting the pin in is a little tricky, but can be done from above or below. Not with the engine running though.

I couldn't get any usable pictures that showed the inside when mounted.

Dick

How much weight do you tow with that hitch?
I was thinking of doing something like you did except with a second cross member.....er....and stuff, I don't have an RE.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #220
Bus Crazy

Quote:
How much weight do you tow with that hitch?
Practically none, originally a Jeep Cherokee, now a VW Rabbit PU. Rabbit weighs less than 2000 lbs.