Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
[QUOTE=Scooternj;89112]If you haven't removed them, I would flip your rear warning lights, and tie them into the turn & brake lights. I'm doing that on mine so that no one can claim that 1) they didn't see the turn signal, 2) didn't see the brake lights, and 3) improves my visibility on the side of the road.

I love this idea and would do that if your state allows it.
But if your traveling state to state you might get flack. If I remember right in some states you have to do everything you can to make it NOT look like a school bus.

All wig wag (warning lights) must be removed on every part of the bus. No warning lights, strobes, stop bar. Stop sing. Just your normal lights / running (park lights) pull in to that state that does not allow those to be on a bus even if they dont work or you turn off you may get pulled over even if its not yellow. I could be wrong though.

I know wed like to see different places so I plan on taking out all the warning lights.
Sorry late reply just read this build today.

livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Well, I got my bus to my folks yesterday evening. Motor runs great in it. Problem is, my check transmission light came on today when I backed it up to the garage. The ABS light has been on since I got it, and after I shut down the motor, the intake heater light comes on. I put 2 new bus batteries in it, so I disconnected the batteries so as to not drain them.

The mechanic said I needed to take it to a CAT dealer to have the ecm reprogrammed from a fe to a re type.

Question I have is anyone have any idea if that's true or not?

I have some floor pics to post. Going to have to replace a few planks around the wheel wells. Just going to learn how to raise the body and slide the degraded ones out...
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I have some floor pics to post. Going to have to replace a few planks around the wheel wells. Just going to learn how to raise the body and slide the degraded ones out...
Sweet glad you got it back!

How do you plan to raise the body? Just curious
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Bottle jacks and cribbing on the chassis itself.......
Old 03-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Got off the phone with Thomas, got the specs I needed for the floor channel replacements and even the blueprints to have them custom made! Thomas also told me to check the grounding issue for my intake heater light. That it sounded like it was loose. (the light shouldn't be on if the key was removed from the ignition!)

There is a separate transmission ECM on the model I have, sooooooo, I have to have an Allison tech take a look at that, and possibly do the same thing porkschopsandwhiches did and unlock 6th in it, depending on it's ability to climb hills with the extra gear in it, it may be worth it since I drive from Phoenix to the east coast 2 or 3 times a year.

Caterpillar will reprogram my ECM for a hundred bucks an hour, typical shop charge. So that will go down to them next week when I get to my bus again.

BEST PART???? I can add cruise control on it!! All I have to do is have the CAT technician unlock it in the programming!!!!

This is the best Monday I've had in a LOOOOOONG time!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I can feel the excitement!

Congrats, I know how that feels- my new (bigger) jets are coming to finish my moped project. It IS a good monday!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #47
Bus Nut

As you can see there is serious degradation of the main floor planks just before and after the wheel wells. I cut the tops out with a grinder to be able to determine the severity of damage....... I have contacted Thomas and got the schematics to have new ones fabricated. There are also 2X2 square steel tubes inside the decking in the pieces closest to the wheel wells themselves.

Friday we are off to the CAT dealer in Oxford, AL to have the ECM reprogrammed!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Cool that Thomas was so helpful and provided you with the needed drawing. Did you mention you were modifying it into a skoolie or just that you were repairing a school bus? Cool if they support owners no matter what the use.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
BEST PART???? I can add cruise control on it!! All I have to do is have the CAT technician unlock it in the programming!!!!
You mean I can get CAT to turn on the cruise control on my C7? What about the other things, i.e., the set/coast switch?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Cool that Thomas was so helpful and provided you with the needed drawing. Did you mention you were modifying it into a skoolie or just that you were repairing a school bus? Cool if they support owners no matter what the use.
I told him about the conversion. The tech was like, that's so cool! I bet I was on the phone for 45 minutes with him just getting info.

Squid, I would say yes. He said it gets turned on in the ecm, and you just get the switch meant for it. I don't know if there are interchangeable ones, but as soon as I have it all figured out, I'll post it.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #51
Bus Nut

So I have my ecm reprogrammed at Thompson CAT to the tune of $250 bucks. Got back and installed it and had a grand time doing so..... I thought working on import cars was tough! Who knew even on these big monsters there would be little room for my hands!!!

Started the hog up, and she ran great! No lights on, no chugging, no issues!!! Turned out, the ecm that was shipped with my new motor was a 190 hp rated one and my motor is a 250. So after the tech called caterpillar directly, he was able to unlock the replacement ecm and reprogram it.

On a side note I got to go to harbor freight in the next town over and buy a hot knife Aaron was talking about for the foam. It's was on sale for 14.99 and I bought the last 2. I tested it on an egg carton and the thing is slow, but great. No messy cut foam everywhere.

Today I am going to take the bus out for a test run and see how she does up and down some hills.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've had really good luck using a serrated bread knife to cut styrofoam. Not much mess and no shrinkage.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
What we used was a 3 or 4" putty knife that we sharpened down the
curved side. The curvature of the blade lets it slice through the foam
without to much tearing and shredding of the foam.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
So I have my ecm reprogrammed at Thompson CAT to the tune of $250 bucks. Got back and installed it and had a grand time doing so..... I thought working on import cars was tough! Who knew even on these big monsters there would be little room for my hands!!!

Started the hog up, and she ran great! No lights on, no chugging, no issues!!! Turned out, the ecm that was shipped with my new motor was a 190 hp rated one and my motor is a 250. So after the tech called caterpillar directly, he was able to unlock the replacement ecm and reprogram it.

On a side note I got to go to harbor freight in the next town over and buy a hot knife Aaron was talking about for the foam. It's was on sale for 14.99 and I bought the last 2. I tested it on an egg carton and the thing is slow, but great. No messy cut foam everywhere.

Today I am going to take the bus out for a test run and see how she does up and down some hills.
Where the proper respirator mask when cutting the foam and have plenty of ventilation. The fumes are toxic!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Where the proper respirator mask when cutting the foam and have plenty of ventilation. The fumes are toxic!
I plan on doing as much of it as I can on saw horses outside. I have a chem filtered respirator too for extra protection.

After driving the hog around, the trans light, intake heater, and abs lights are still on. The CAT tech didn't find any issues on the ecm. Also found a nice leak on the power steering pump as well, it is at the connection, so i think an O ring is jacked. Called the mechanic, so Friday it goes back........ in the meantime I got to work on some of the rust removal.....

The severely degraded square tubing replacement is on order. Seems there is one in front and behind both wheel wells. I ordered 4 for the rear and 2 for the front. I am going to open the side of the paneling and finish cutting the old out and hammer the new in from the side, the rear will have 2 in front and 2 in back and then I will weld a complete deck down on top of them to keep the rear from sagging.

I used a grinder with 4.5" cut off discs instead of the torch. Glad I did, there was an airline under for the rear stop sign. One would have never thought it, but, the harbor freight wheels out preformed the dewalt ones in cutting....... guess which ones I won't be buying anymore??
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #56
Bus Nut

2 new starter batteries. 8D 12 Volt 1300 CCA's each, $280 bucks for both delivered!

Now the starter spins that flywheel like a flipped quarter!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Where did you order the batteries from?
captblarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, I'm not finding batteries at that price. Where?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, I'm not finding batteries at that price. Where?
They're $119 each at the local Rural King here.
Plus a six pack to have someone help ya get em in your battery tray.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblarney View Post
Where did you order the batteries from?
A place in Glencoe Alabama. The guy was really awesome. I had him take them to my bus at the garage I was having my bus worked on. His business is Liberty Battery, but he buys the batteries from Crown I think.

He has ordered the Crown 6V 305 Ah deep cycle batteries for me too. I got 6 of them without a core for $199.00 each!

Don't know how much shipping would be, but I can put his number up if you are close.