Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Salty's Skoolie project

As of right now I don't own a bus, but hopefully in the near future I will have found the one I am looking for. So for now this will be an Idea thread where I can post and share my thoughts and ideas. please feel free to drop any ideas or comments.

I'll start off with posting my latest floor plan I have made.
I based it off of the bus I plan on getting once I find it and for the right price.
mid to late 90's, 35', Thomas ER high top with storage bays
I plan on raising the roof 18 inches and installing a platform on top with foldaway guard rails while in transit.

Most of this is to scale but may be off a little due to the sources of measurements are from various year models and visual guesstimates.

More to come soon

Chris

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Salty's Skoolie project

Links to various threads I have started.

Window Skinning
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5375

Bus AC units
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5237

layout thread
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5064

Slide out
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5068

What type of bus to choose
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5043

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

One question...you want a Thomas high top, but plan to raise the roof 18" anyway. Chances are that you'll end up paying a premium for the high top. Perhaps, since you're planning a roof raise, you might be money ahead to just get a "standard" roof height? Of course, if you get a deal on a high top, go for it! But you're limiting your search to high tops, you might miss out on something that would work as well or better for (potentially) less dinero.

Just a thought I had. I like the drawing and layout of the floor plan!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
How tall of a ceiling are you wanting? I have about 7.5" (I just mentioned on my thread & had 7' 9", but didn't account for 2.25" of new insulation & sheeting), and the exterior of the bus is only 11' tall. I know it's hard to determine "exacts" by not having a physical bus setting there to go by (trust me, I know ), which is why, when in that position, you need to have a couple options, plan-B and plan-C.

Remember, the taller you go, the more you'll limit your travels.

Oh, and buy that guy in your pic a cheeseburger, he looks alittle hungry

Smitty
I think I was planning on having 6 1/2 foot flat ceilings. thats with an included figure of 2" of insulation and floor. I'm only 5"10 and my buddies and any family members are no taller than 6 foot. As far as the bus exterior height that was one of my guesstimates I'm really not sure the height of a hightop Thomas is, then I would have to factor in the roof raise which I'm planning on 18 inches and no more than 20. Of course the whole exacts of the measurements are off and will be adjusted once I get my paws on my bus and can find out the measurements. One nice thing about my layout is I have it on Adobe Illustrator so making changes is easy and I can build layers of different layouts and hide and show them as needed.

Oh and that guy is on the new Hollywood diet. He is still feeling fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkewlHauler
One question...you want a Thomas high top, but plan to raise the roof 18" anyway. Chances are that you'll end up paying a premium for the high top. Perhaps, since you're planning a roof raise, you might be money ahead to just get a "standard" roof height? Of course, if you get a deal on a high top, go for it! But you're limiting your search to high tops, you might miss out on something that would work as well or better for (potentially) less dinero.

Just a thought I had. I like the drawing and layout of the floor plan!

Ben.
Thanks for your comment. I thought about going with a standard roof or the lowered roof Thomas seeing how I plan to raise the roof anyway. But for some reason I like the look of the raised section also I may not get to the roof raise right away (or at all, its still kinda up in the air) and I would like the added head room. Seeing how the original plan was to have this as a tailgating bus I would like to gut the seats build some rough surfaces and bunks and have it ready for the racing trips (June and Aug at MIS) then after the race trips I would work on the bus. of course this depends on when I get the bus. as far as missing a good deal I have already missed several because of money issues. But I look at it like this, there are a millions of buses out there and this current deal might be good but if I take my time and wait for the one I want and the timing is right I'll find my bus. and as much as I want one I'm not in a big rush right now. I've got allot coming up within the next 6-8 months and one of those things is a move from Youngstown, OH to the Toledo, OH area.
The exterior paint design is something I threw on when I was trying to figure out a paint scheme. So I'm still lost on the final paint design.

I'll be posting a side view layout once I finish it sometime this week.

Thanks for the comments
Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Skoolie

One thing that just came to mind was Fuel tank location. are most of them located on the sides or are they located between the frame rails? if they are located on the sides then I might have to reconfigure my floor plan. I believe I have stairs coming down where the fuel tank would be located . I would either have to change the floor plan or relocate the fuel tank. Changing the floor plan would be allot easier!

Another thought about floor installation. Would it help the sub floor if I applied Thompson's water sealer to the plywood prior to installation? I plan on using rust converter then a epoxy automotive primer on the metal floor then rosin paper, then insulation, then the 3/4" plywood sub floor. On top of that I was thinking of rosin paper again then hardwood laminated floors. for added comfort from the wood floors I would use area rugs throughout that way I can pull them out to clean them when needed. Any suggestions?

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

You should be fine where you want to put the stairs. My Thomas ER Safe-T-Liner has the fuel tank in between the frame just after the front wheels.

The fuel filler tube is about 8 feet back from the front stairs on the passenger side, so If you put your stairs just after the fuel filler tube. You should be all set.

My Skoolie is an 84 passenger so if you get a smaller bus, It might be configured a little different and you might not be able to use the measurements I described.

Dan
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Skoolie

Dan,
I noticed that your bus is a 14 window bus and you said its 84 passenger. so what is the overall length of your bus bumper to bumper? Reason I ask is your bus matches all my requirements I'm looking for except for the storage bays. I think I figured that a 12 window would be about 35' (using the 2.5' per window rule + 5' for driver area) so 14 windows I would guess is 40'. I'm looking for a 35' but have noticed they are harder to find probably because of less of a demand.
Depending on the size of my sites at MIS (they say they are 19' X 40" size approximate and I'll find out this June when I am there for the race) I could go with a 40 footer. It would give me a bit more interior room and maybe I could add a "master bedroom" behind the bunks where the storage room and doghouse are (basically enough room for a full or queen bed).

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Skoolie

OK so I finished up messing around with my floor plans for now here is what i have so far. Keep in mind exact measurements may be off.
Basically same as my last but I turned on all the layers to show electrical, plumbing, propane, and AC duct. Eventually Ill build my self a full legend to so what is what. Its all a little confusing to look at all mixed together but it shows how crazy its going to get com time to build. I also moved the layouts on the page and added pass side view, front view, and back view.
enjoy

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

How are you making these drawings? Looks nice, btw. I have been scratching them out on paper, and running them by my disinterested wife. She doesn't care now, but when things start, she will be all opinions. Sorry, the period for negotiation passed a long time ago, and you weren't interested.
Yeah, right.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
How are you making these drawings? Looks nice, btw. I have been scratching them out on paper, and running them by my disinterested wife. She doesn't care now, but when things start, she will be all opinions. Sorry, the period for negotiation passed a long time ago, and you weren't interested.
Yeah, right.
Thanks
I use Adobe Illustrator CS4. its allot like Adobe Photoshop but designed for Digital illustration. I scratched about 20 or so different layouts on paper and finally got tired of redrawing the bus platform over and over. So now its all digital and its allot easier to build a different layout if I wanted to. Just hide the current layout level and start a new one.

I also have a disinterested significant other. She tells me I can get a bus but she said she wouldn't be staying in it. Guess she going to get cold and wet when we go camping. Honestly after I complete the project or it comes time to decorate I'm sure her mind will change.

Chris
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
I also have a disinterested significant other. She tells me I can get a bus but she said she wouldn't be staying in it. Guess she going to get cold and wet when we go camping. Honestly after I complete the project or it comes time to decorate I'm sure her mind will change.
Mine is the other way. She wants to have all the say in how we renovate the bus. Of course, she spent many summers camping with her family in this bus. Now that it is ours, it is time to complete the conversion and actually paint the thing!!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Skoolie

Well I'm back. Ive been too busy lately with school and wedding plans that I haven't had much time to check out the progress of others. I have a lot of catching up to do. Good news is I am now married. Leah (my wife) and I got married on the 1st of May. It was a small wedding and a nice one too. On a sad note my plans to purchase a bus within the next year is put on hold. I need to spend the money on a new camera instead. So I have no idea when I'll get my hands on a bus, but eventually I will. Now time to start catching up on everyone's progress..

Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
...I need to spend the money on a new camera instead....
I hope by this you mean 'want' a new camera and not 'need' a new camera. I know how expensive those things are and have a small fortune invested myself. If something ever happened that I 'needed' to replace one I would be quite upset. Of course, I always 'want' a new one but that's just the nature of the game.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Quote:
...I need to spend the money on a new camera instead....
I hope by this you mean 'want' a new camera and not 'need' a new camera. I know how expensive those things are and have a small fortune invested myself. If something ever happened that I 'needed' to replace one I would be quite upset. Of course, I always 'want' a new one but that's just the nature of the game.
Unfortunately its a "Need" my current camera is not up to specifications. I need to upgrade to a professional level DSLR, the camera I am looking at is the Nikon D3s, plus several pro lenses. In total I will be dropping around $12,000.00 on the setup.
I have been wanting to upgrade for a couple years now. Now I have a reason.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Unfortunately its a "Need" my current camera is not up to specifications. I need to upgrade to a professional level DSLR, the camera I am looking at is the Nikon D3s, plus several pro lenses. In total I will be dropping around $12,000.00 on the setup.
Nice camera choice. I have been a Nikon shooter for many years. I have acquired quite a few nice pro lenses over the past while and have found that no matter what they do to the camera bodies, the lenses hold their value and are truely the key to a great picture. I started with film, and have taken a few photography courses while in University. It is definately the lens that makes the biggest difference...oh, and knowing what the heck you are doing helps too! Hopefully things work out well for you. Good luck with everything.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Quote:
Nice camera choice. I have been a Nikon shooter for many years. I have acquired quite a few nice pro lenses over the past while and have found that no matter what they do to the camera bodies, the lenses hold their value and are truely the key to a great picture. I started with film, and have taken a few photography courses while in University. It is definately the lens that makes the biggest difference...oh, and knowing what the heck you are doing helps too! Hopefully things work out well for you. Good luck with everything.
Well I got the Nikon D3s about a month ago and I am expecting the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II today. Then in about another month I will be ordering the 50mm f1.4G and the 16-35mm f4. I switched my lens choice around a bit to save some money and I will still get the coverage I want. Eventually I will get the 24-70mm f2.8 but I'm in no rush. So far I have spent around 7500 on the camera and the lens I am getting today. I just wished it was a Thomas RE high-top 40'er. Oh well eventually.. 7500.00 could have bought me a mighty fine bus. But school needs to come first right now. So for now I continue to dream about one day owning a bus.

PS The wife still thinks I'm crazy...

Chris
Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
... So for now I continue to dream about one day owning a bus.

PS The wife still thinks I'm crazy...

Chris
Yeah, but the bus could be considered part of your photography business. You will need to travel to find all the subjects you want to photograph, and of course you need something suitable for travel that allows for... (you fill in the blanks). You just have to be creative in making your case!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

You know Chris .. I have an Aunt and Uncle who maintained a "second income" for many many years using their RV as a mobile photo studio for their local school system .. and I do mean a very lucrative "second income" .. they may even still be doing it (have not seen them in a very long time) ..

.. any-who .. I think if you figured out a way to do something like that using a school bus you would be a legend in your local school community .. talk about free advertising .. a portable portrait studio ..

.. hmmmm .. might have to start looking at that around here ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Skoolie

Its funny you mention setting up a skoolie as a studio. I was just pondering that Idea the other day. But I'm also thinking it might be a little tight in there for a studio. A mobile digital darkroom could work. Something I could take to the various shoots/NASCAR tour and process my images and do some printing also it would serve as a over night lodging. hmmmmm...... I'll add it to the growing pile of thoughts.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

I am making my shortie so it can be used in a t-shirt business also. Making a direct to garment printer and go to any event and sell custom T's.
Take any pic and print it on a shirt, not a transfer but directly on it.
So plan your electrical accordingly.