Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Miss Euphegenia: 1999 AmTran RE

OK, no bus yet. But we started with a great deal on a parts donor, a 70s Yellowstone camper trailer from Craigslist. Dirt cheap, and the seller wants to buy the frame back when we're done stripping it. Looks like some good stuff in there, 3-way fridge, oven/range, recently replaced toilet, everything supposedly works except the water heater.

Even better, on the way to pick it up, I mentioned to the friend who towed it that we'll be looking for a cheap or free generator, and he happened to have one he's looking to get rid of. Apparently it came with a trailer he bought for his business, not running but previous owner said it was an easy fix. My friend said we could have it for free. Pics and info coming soon, along with some questions about getting it going again.

It's exciting, Phil and Jason are officially committed to the Skoolie project!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
maj
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: spartan
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: It begins! (sorta)

You have got to start somewhere. Welcome and I wish you luck. Keep us informed.
maj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

oh god phil,not the dreaded camper stripout! It takes a while makes a big mess and its dirty! Have fun.......
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
the seller wants to buy the frame back when we're done stripping it.
Wow How did you luck out on that one.

When you sell the frame back double the price that you paid for the trailer. Hey gotta make money somehow.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

yeah, for sure, it looks pretty solid on the outside. Inside pretty wrecked from water leaks?
In any case, great donor for bits and pieces. Cool awning too! I can't find any around here at a reasonable price.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
lol....looks too nice to be a donor
It looks a lot nicer on the outside than the inside. Holes in the floor, stuff like that. It would probably be livable with some TLC, but the price was right for a donor.

The awning was badly torn. The frame's good, but I had to cut the canvas off before towing it, the pieces are all tattered. Think there's a market for the awning frame?

As for doubling the price, we already agreed on the frame buyback. Previous owner put new tires on when he got it, which are probably worth as much as I paid for the trailer. Sounded like he was kicking himself for selling it so cheap, so when I told him about the project he jumped at the thought of getting the frame back for a utility trailer. Now if he changes his mind, you better believe I'll be making some money...
Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Skoolie

Found a little time to work on the trailer today. So far just little stuff, but we're trying to save anything that might possibly someday be useful. Lots of good cushions, looks like the trailer slept 6 or 7. We're not thrilled about the color, but nothing a little vinyl and fabric paint can't fix. Got all the curtains down, they're this god-awful pale yellow that will have to be dyed something later on. Got some of the lights and outlets out, still a lot more to go.

Looks like it was a nice camper at some point.

Me jacking up the trailer to put some wood blocks under the tires. That part of my yard becomes a swamp every time it rains.

These holes are the biggest problems, but there's a lot of water damage.

12V lights. Looks like there were some critters living in here. Can't see in the pic but one of the wires is chewed halfway through.

The donated generator we have to try to get running.

I've never seen this kind of plug before. The wires are kind of jammed into the metal prongs. Is it an older style, cheaper style, or just different?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Skoolie

There's an extra cap that snaps on covering everything, I took it off for the picture.

So is it safe to re-use, or toss it and get new plugs? Saving money is good, being safe is better.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Skoolie

So I jumped ahead of myself in the trailer demolition today and took down some panels to see what the structure was like. There's not much there - I was literally tearing it apart with my bare hands. I guess it's ok for a trailer since you're only inside when it's parked (supposedly), but if Class A's are built like that, I'm even happier with the decision to convert a skoolie.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Yup, class A's are also built like that. I just ripped an electrical panel out of a unit today with my bare hands. They don't call them 'Sticks-n-Staples' for nothing. They truely are!!!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Skoolie

Yes it's a rear-engine. Yes we got an awesome deal on it. Yes it has air brakes. Yes it ran perfectly the whole way home. Yes it has power climbing the hills.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

Quote:

I've never seen this kind of plug before. The wires are kind of jammed into the metal prongs. Is it an older style, cheaper style, or just different?
That plug was used in some mobile homes I have helped to remodel. very cheap made, I would replace with new, conventional style stuff.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Re: It begins!

Quote:
Yes it's a rear-engine. Yes we got an awesome deal on it. Yes it has air brakes. Yes it ran perfectly the whole way home. Yes it has power climbing the hills.
Details! Details!

She looks like a beauty.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

WOW!! NICE!! ABOUT TIME!! LOOKS LIKE A BEAUTY!!! What engine and tranny?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Skoolie

Sorry guys, it was a long weekend. It's a 1999 AmTran RE, originally owned by Laidlaw (bought out by First Student in 07). It has a T444E with an AT545, but it moves better than many I've driven with that combo. Full air brakes. We bought it at the 422 Sales bus auction in New Haven on Saturday, the only competition was scrap dealers so we spent less than we were planning and got a newer bus (there was a decent 96, same model, that was the backup if this went too high). It's a 13 row body (12 rows of seats) so it's almost 38 feet overall length. The trip home was uneventful aside from a traffic jam due to a bad accident. This model is notorious for overheating but it stayed under 210 the whole way, despite stop-and-go traffic and some moderate hills on the highway. It's exactly what we were looking for.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

CONGRATS!! GOOD LUCK!!
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
Skoolie

I almost forgot the best part. Would you believe I only had to bid $900 for this? A grand and change with auction fees. And $150 to top it off at Mobil before parking it.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Sweeeet deal. Where's the pics?
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Skoolie

I still have to get some good "before" pics inside. Here's a couple more outside shots my friend took at the auction.

I love how they only leave part of the lettering on there. That's what happens when they tell 3 mechanics they have 2 hours to deletter and deplate 180 buses - they just do enough to make it clear the company doesn't own it anymore. A coworker suggested I write "IFIX" under "UDENT" and see how many people get it.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

lol Smitty. Looks good and clean. How does she run?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote