Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #1

Question 1985 MCI96A3 build

I have a question has anyone ever raised the roof on an MCI bus. If so how hard is it and any suggestions on an easy way to do it

Bethania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Welcome

Welcome to the Insane Asylum, Bethania.

Do you have an '85 MCI? They are a monocoque design & do not have a lower chassis structure.

Raising_The_Roof_MCI9
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Like DeMac said...welcome. MCI makes a nice bus and their support, even for older models, is good. But as he also said, the design doesn't lend itself to structural modifications.

On a bus with frame rails that provide the structure, the body is basically a shell which sits on the rails...so you can modify the shell (within reason) without compromising the frame structure. But on a monocoque designed bus, the shell/body/structure is essentially a framed tube (think aircraft cabin) so modifications become much more difficult to do without weakening the integrity of the design.

I've done more than 10 roof raises, but all on "traditional" frame chassis buses. Even with that experience, I would respectfully decline any request to do a roof raise on a monocoque bus. It could be done, but it would require engineering expertise that would be expensive.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I have seen many roof raises on Eagle buses - but not on MCI. I have a MCI-8 - I think rails are stainless steel - presents welding issues. I purchased the MIC because the roof was tall enough without the need for raising the roof. You might want to give a call to Custom Coach, Columbus, OH. 614-863-6470 - they do all kinds of bus conversions -- did all of John Madden's "Madden Cruisers" as an example. Many were MCI buses. Think the company is now owned by "Farber". Good luck.
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
I have seen many roof raises on Eagle buses - but not on MCI. I have a MCI-8 - I think rails are stainless steel - presents welding issues. I purchased the MIC because the roof was tall enough without the need for raising the roof. You might want to give a call to Custom Coach, Columbus, OH. 614-863-6470 - they do all kinds of bus conversions -- did all of John Madden's "Madden Cruisers" as an example. Many were MCI buses. Think the company is now owned by "Farber". Good luck.

farber custom coach! they built a million dollar rig for a couple friends of mine 16 years ago or so.. TOP NOTCH outfit.. i drive by the place all the tie and they are still around..

edit - my friends bus didnt get a roof raise.. it was a brand new bare prevost shipped driectly to farber.. apparently prevost sold (sells?) conversion ready shells to outfitters.. it had plenty of ceiling room in it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote