Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
3 pin plug

Im going to replace all my turn signals marker, brake lights etc. With LED. Im finding the leds have 3 pin plugs and my bus has 1 wire per light. So what are the wires? Positive-neutal and ground? I have no issues of running the extra wires. I may be overthinking this and having a brain fart..just a little input would help..thanks!

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
No idea on the three pin thing but there are LED's that are straight up, plug in replacements for most bulbs. I found some on Ebay that are direct replacements for the old 1156's. There are a number of makers/prices.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...yABEgJ0avD_BwE
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Im looking to replace all the housings and lenses..except the directional arrows then just bulbs..
Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
No idea on the three pin thing but there are LED's that are straight up, plug in replacements for most bulbs. I found some on Ebay that are direct replacements for the old 1156's. There are a number of makers/prices.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...yABEgJ0avD_BwE
Yes im giving my money to the superbrightled people..lol
Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome to the club!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I picked up replacement LED bulbs on Amazon for relatively cheap - they have worked great for over a year - I replaced all the exterior bulbs and inside bulbs.

https://smile.amazon.com/12V-1156-LE...=1156+LED+Bulb
Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
Have you figured this out ? Would be interested in knowing I have some lights out .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Im going to replace all my turn signals marker, brake lights etc. With LED. Im finding the leds have 3 pin plugs and my bus has 1 wire per light. So what are the wires? Positive-neutal and ground? I have no issues of running the extra wires. I may be overthinking this and having a brain fart..just a little input would help..thanks!
Are the housings made to be brake/tail light combos? Then one wire would be a ground, one would be 12VDC power for the tail, and one 12VDC power for the brake.

What colors are the wires? White, White with stripe, and Black? Black would be the ground (-) and the other two would be powered (+). You will need to ground the light fixture to your bus body if there is no ground wire specific.

Hot-neutral-ground is for AC current, not DC.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Are the housings made to be brake/tail light combos? Then one wire would be a ground, one would be 12VDC power for the tail, and one 12VDC power for the brake.

What colors are the wires? White, White with stripe, and Black? Black would be the ground (-) and the other two would be powered (+). You will need to ground the light fixture to your bus body if there is no ground wire specific.

Hot-neutral-ground is for AC current, not DC.
All separate Click image for larger version

Name:	20181004_101106.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	26221
Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the old busses often only hads the 2 little tiny lights as tails.. then the large reds were brake along with the small lights.. and then the large yellows were signals..

a nice upgrade is to go to a dual filament housing / socket for the big reds.. that way you have more visibility.. 4 tail lights 4 brake lights.. I did that to my carpenter and will be doing it to my Superior...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
lights

On my 1954 two rear lights were running light/ stop lights called "stop ray" Turns out the stop rays are copies of 1939 chevrolet truck tail/stop lights! So in 1954 there were already replica chevy tail lights.

In addition to the chevy truck lights were two 4" round lights that were Tail/stop/turn lights.

I put on new 1939 chevy truck lights, two new 4" red tail lights, and two new 4" amber turn signals, along with two new 4" back up/work lights

Typically I think the automotive world of after market lights, use white as ground, like the four wire trailer wires, white ground, brown running lights green is right turn/stop, yellow is left turn/ stop.

R in green for right side, L in yellow for left side, tis how I remember it.

I bought all the lights for the bus project from Peterson. All my light housings were toast, I needed new ones so I could not just replace bulbs.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the old busses often only hads the 2 little tiny lights as tails.. then the large reds were brake along with the small lights.. and then the large yellows were signals..

a nice upgrade is to go to a dual filament housing / socket for the big reds.. that way you have more visibility.. 4 tail lights 4 brake lights.. I did that to my carpenter and will be doing it to my Superior...

-Christopher
When you get a chance could you post a pic of them on your bus?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
They look the same from the outside as the normal 7 inch brake lights, the lense is the same but they use a dual filament 1157 bulb andyou junper the low filament to the tail light circuit of the small lamps.
That bus is currently in pieces so I have the batteries disconnected , it should be back together in a few days, after I put the driveshafts back in
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Your original lights are separate, yes; I understand that. The new LED light fixtures have 3 wires? Then I'm saying they seem to be a combination of tail and brake in one. Pull a jumper wire from the smaller tail light up to the old brake light housing hole, then connect it and the brake light wire to the new LED housing. Add in a ground wire (the old lights' housings must be metalic and ground directly to the body, I assume?) and you're good to go!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote