Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: e450 super duty
Engine: 7.3l ford powerstroke
7.3l turbo rebuild..

Hey everyone, I purchased a garret gtp38 turbo for $40, so I decided to bring everyone along for the rebuild & upgrade. If you decide to rebuild your turbo insure you know what your have first. You can check by the S/N ***(make sure it is not a ball bearing turbo cause you will regret taking it apart.)

Step 1: Break down, dissemble & clean turbocharger.
(5/16 wrench) Sometimes you may need some heat to remove bolt's.
(make sure you marke "ALL" pieces inline including both housings & center section, so you know were they all go back on the assemble.)

......Remove the Exhaust housing (HOT SIDE)

*Grab a crescent wrench & a socket that fits on you turbine shaft & compressor nut.

*******BE CAREFULLL...!!!!!**** when unscrewing this part some turbo's are reverse thread so >>>>>>lefty loosy righty tighty does not work on turbos...<<<<<..the only way to determine is to look at the compressor wheel & fallow the fins.

*An example..

*Pull shaft out.

*tap off heat shield you may need a chisel.

* Next remove the four nut's use a mallet & expose the inside.. The reason we remove the shaft assembly first is because you do not want to damage the compressor wheel fins while beating off the housing if you are going to reuse it.

* Expose the inner workings of it.

* Next remove the last four bolts...

And look inside..

* remove old seal's, you might need a wire brush..

*Step 2:
Inspection:

***Check all sealing areas & shaft for damage.***

*** Step 3: Clean, Clean, Clean.

***remove seal.

***scrap off excess & clean with either parts cleaner, gasoline, acetone, or whatever you have laying around but scub it until it is new, new, new..

**Scrub the sealing areas Very good, use steel wool if necessary.

***Wash real good.. & dry before it rust's over.

**next back plate & housing..

*** you should also wire wheel the cover if you have one it makes it look puuurty... make you wear glasses anyone that has worked with a wire wheel knows why... WIRE WHEEL EVERYTHING..

Too bee continued...

Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

*** But luckily I have access to a sandblast cabinet so I will utilize it, if you do have a sandblaster insure you tape off the shaft for protection.

***After sandblast wire wheel the sealing area to get dirt off, & scotch bright the shaft..

*** Rebuild kits are not all created equal be sure you get a good one.

***nor are compressor wheels.

*** time for a balance, you can always look for your nearest turbo shop to send in your shaft & wheel assembly for a balance it will save you a ton of money...

*** grab your stacks & assemble as such.

***Remove necessary material to balance..

Old 12-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Step 4 Port & Polish:

If you are not confident in power tools do not try this cause you will destroy your goods.

Tools of the trade.?

*die grinder & bits. there are different bits for steel & aluminum, so don't work the wrong ones.

***cut a 45 degree angle all the way around being care full not to get too thin, lay it on the material light as a feather & just work it down thin.
After the 45 cut you can get an idea on how much material you are removing. It is easier said than done I know. but If you are brave enough to try it be super care full if you have a new grinding bit.
I been doing this for two years every day & im still scared of new bit's. The power you get from it tho.

***Grind down the rear lip aswell..

*** I used a dermal/extension & sand paper roll for the finish.

*** Here too.

*** for the final finish you flap it by tearing your roll open.

*** Work both sides

*** don't forget.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Step 5: Reassemble

***Oil everything, All seals, all bearings & O-rings..

*** Their are no C-clips in center section so we assemble everything on the shaft first.

***The seal gap must face up on (all seals) when assembling, If not oil could seep threw & destroy..

***Add

***Make sure this goes back on properly you can see the bottom is slightly larger for a reason.***

*** Seal gap facing up in the same direction as the on one the turbine shaft, & press it in..

*** Screw back on making sure you use the right ones.

*** Lock tight, ensuring you marks are lined up, on the compressor nut & shaft. from the balancer.

*** Now give it a spin to see for shaft play..

*** line up marks & screw down.. & done.

***screw back on you Exhaust housing after you do whatever you like to it ceramic coat or whatever. Maybe finish it up with some....
Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Outstanding!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this freakin rocks!!!! I never did my own port N polishing.. that is real art there... fantastic you can do it!!!

do you know if they make upgraded inners for our garrett turbos? I found some injectors that flow about 10% more with the same pulse rate and HPOP pressures. so was thinking if I had a slightly upgraded turbo and those injectors i could gain a little power and still not get into troublw with my EGT's. im pretty sure my 444E turbo is the same one that goes onto your ford 7.3, ..

bigger turbo does no good without more fuel.. more fuel helps most when there is more air!.

what a great thread!!

all this sounds really like I need to send my turbo to your shop for a rebuild / upgrade!!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Great presentation dopamine!

I am pretty sure I won't be attempting that anytime soon though. How many hours for a job like you just presented? Cost estimate from a shop for that work?
Many thanks again,Merry Xmas,

John
Old 12-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Very informative, thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this freakin rocks!!!! I never did my own port N polishing.. that is real art there... fantastic you can do it!!!

do you know if they make upgraded inners for our garrett turbos? I found some injectors that flow about 10% more with the same pulse rate and HPOP pressures. so was thinking if I had a slightly upgraded turbo and those injectors i could gain a little power and still not get into troublw with my EGT's. im pretty sure my 444E turbo is the same one that goes onto your ford 7.3, ..

bigger turbo does no good without more fuel.. more fuel helps most when there is more air!.

what a great thread!!

all this sounds really like I need to send my turbo to your shop for a rebuild / upgrade!!!

-Christopher
Are you referring to the inner rebuild kit or the center bearing housing itself.? They just make the upgraded rebuild kits but not the housing itslf.? After all I done to my 7.3l my EGT''s stay pretty low, unless I slam it to it than it sky rockets up to 1200 easily but it's transit.
If they are easy to get to & you have to spare $$$ Upgraded injectors.? hell yea why not, I wish I could but I don't dare go that far, ( I am a little beat on the mechanical stuff on my project.) & plus no room to work. Send your turbo on down ill take good care of it.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Great presentation dopamine!

I am pretty sure I won't be attempting that anytime soon though. How many hours for a job like you just presented? Cost estimate from a shop for that work?
Many thanks again,Merry Xmas,

John
Thank man.
I can do a 7.3l turbo in a couple hours. but for someone who has not done it before.? Definitely an all day thing. Don't let it intimidate you it is pretty simple once you know. I am always here to walk you threw if necessary. cost & labor charges, most shops start at around $4-500 that is around average for a rebuild, if you can find cheaper than jump on it. the porting can average around $100-160. Merry Christmas..
Old 12-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine16 View Post
Are you referring to the inner rebuild kit or the center bearing housing itself.? They just make the upgraded rebuild kits but not the housing itslf.? After all I done to my 7.3l my EGT''s stay pretty low, unless I slam it to it than it sky rockets up to 1200 easily but it's transit.
If they are easy to get to & you have to spare $$$ Upgraded injectors.? hell yea why not, I wish I could but I don't dare go that far, ( I am a little beat on the mechanical stuff on my project.) & plus no room to work. Send your turbo on down ill take good care of it.
When it comes time to mess with my turbo I'll know where to send it!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Bus Geek

still a lot less than a new turbo. and its better when you are done.. probably with more care and updates than the factory new turbo..

on my end I know my injectors likely arent long for this world.. they pass all the tests and the engine doesnt smoke but at 9000 hours run time. i do notice wierdness to the exhaust patterns when the engine is not fully warmed up.. one of the first signs of the HEUI injectors starting to stick .. I figure ill drop some remans in it with slightly elevated fueling characteristics.. it is harmless. I could put an ICP "manipulator' like an 'edge' on it. my bus has a blow-by oil recovery system but i do get a little opil in the intake still.. since i see it before the turbo. i know thats from that system. getting by the filter.. but I would like to make sure my turbo is in good health..
-Christopher
Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
still a lot less than a new turbo. and its better when you are done.. probably with more care and updates than the factory new turbo..

on my end I know my injectors likely arent long for this world.. they pass all the tests and the engine doesnt smoke but at 9000 hours run time. i do notice wierdness to the exhaust patterns when the engine is not fully warmed up.. one of the first signs of the HEUI injectors starting to stick .. I figure ill drop some remans in it with slightly elevated fueling characteristics.. it is harmless. I could put an ICP "manipulator' like an 'edge' on it. my bus has a blow-by oil recovery system but i do get a little opil in the intake still.. since i see it before the turbo. i know thats from that system. getting by the filter.. but I would like to make sure my turbo is in good health..
-Christopher
Try the HotShot's oil additve before you do that. It may just get you another couple years out of those injectors.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Very informative, thanks!
Thanks i tried to get as detailed as possible but i might of missed one or two things. Meryy Christmas. hope to see you & that awsome paint job at skooliepalooza...!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
When it comes time to mess with my turbo I'll know where to send it!
You bet
Old 12-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:

-Christopher

Exactly a brand new turbo is close to 1k alone not even including wheel, upgrades & porting.
The only thing i ever heard of is that sea foam chemical. I heard good & bad so i havent used it yet.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #17
Bus Nut

After a sand blast some wd-40 & a wipe down to stop the rust to mention.

* turbo $40
*billet wheel $130
*rebuild kit $65
*36 pack of bud light for my boss $20
Turbo Total=$255.
Lets see how much i can sell it for.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:21 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Very informative thread dopamine16! Thank you for putting all that together.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #19
Bus Geek

dopamine - did you do wheel upgrades to yours? are these turbos pretty decent in general? ie if I fuel-up a bit do I run the risk of damaging the stock turbo because of increased turbine speeds? i dont know much about diesel turbos.. my experience was more in gasoline stuff where people put insane amounts of boost into an engine.

-Christopher
Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Awesome post man, this was an amazing amount of detail!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote