Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
A repair option for shafts, cranks, and other similar fittings

I discovered Loctite 660 a few years ago and have found it to be a pretty impressive, versatile repair option for all kinds of tubular or cylindrical fittings. It's intended for filling voids in keyway slots and gaps in shaft fittings. This stuff will hold a key in a large generator shaft with lots of torque load...so it's pretty darned strong.

Here's a video I made where I recently used it to repair door handles and window cranks, both of which had severely damaged splined shaft interfaces. It's not an adhesive, in that it's not sticky, but for things like this or fixing a pulley/shaft key or installing a bearing race it's pretty handy. There are lots of places in a bus where this can be useful. Think of it, sort of, as liquid metal. For these kinds of joints, it's far better than epoxy.

https://youtu.be/eywv4mc3rK4

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: P30
Engine: 454ci Big Block Chevrolet
Nice. I recently bought a stainless steel exhaust hanger and then realized it was too short. It consisted of the clamp that holds the exhaust and a threaded rod that had a hook on one end that you hooked into a rubber grommit. Thinking of how to extend the length, I ordered an additional stainless steel threaded rod and coupler fittings to extend the threads about another...I dunno what it was. Itight have been 3 or 5 inches. I cut the new rod and used the couplers to thread the two pieces together.

In order to make sure they don't fall out, I used the red thread locker. I am a little worried about the temps, but so far they've lasted for about 1,300 miles.

Edit: I don't know the number on what I had, but it's good to know what you posted. I looked this up online.
craigify is offline   Reply With Quote