Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Air Brakes - a video: How they work and how to safely add accessories.

Hi all,

I just uploaded another video I've been working on...this time, about air brakes and how to properly add air accessories (like an air horn, air supply quick connect, etc) to an air brake system...without making the system unsafe.

This video started as a viewer request, asking about how to connect an air horn. I didn't feel like I could easily answer that, without a bit of a tutorial on how the air brake system works. So, like all bus projects, one thing led to another and the scope grew...you all know how that goes, right?

If you're new to air brakes, or a new bus owner, this video might be helpful.

https://youtu.be/9xeW530SJH8

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
good video, thanks for putting it together
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I always learn something from your videos, thanks for making the effort. I have a smaller tank up under the driver's seat. I know the air ride seat, exhaust brake and air horn come from there, I'll poke around and see what else it does. I'm somewhat mechanical and kind of enjoy being under the bus looking around. It's nice when I can identify something, like an air pressure safety valve, that I had no idea what it was.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Really good video. You must have been a teacher in a former life.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
good video, thanks for putting it together
Thank you! This foray into YouTube land has been kind of fun. It's a bit of work, but I find I'm enjoying it quite a bit. And now I'm getting requests for other topics...the most recent being a couple for slack adjusters in the brake system...which is a good idea. So now, I have another project in the queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I always learn something from your videos, thanks for making the effort. I have a smaller tank up under the driver's seat. I know the air ride seat, exhaust brake and air horn come from there, I'll poke around and see what else it does. I'm somewhat mechanical and kind of enjoy being under the bus looking around. It's nice when I can identify something, like an air pressure safety valve, that I had no idea what it was.
And thank you, sir, for the kind comment and support. Your curiosity and desire to learn about your bus is something all bus owners should emulate. And having that tank under your seat sure makes it handy and accessible. I just learned something from you, because I've not seen a tank there yet. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
Really good video. You must have been a teacher in a former life.
Thanks, PD! Guilty as charged. My background includes community college teaching and government/corporate training. I've had a few "you talk too much" complaints but the overwhelming comments are supportive...so I think I'll just keep being me. Thanks for taking the time to watch and provide your feedback.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Thank you! This foray into YouTube land has been kind of fun. It's a bit of work, but I find I'm enjoying it quite a bit. And now I'm getting requests for other topics...the most recent being a couple for slack adjusters in the brake system...which is a good idea. So now, I have another project in the queue.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Ohhh! Definitely interested in the slack adjuster video!
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote