Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Air conditioner question

I want to try to keep my two air conditioners (one on the passenger side next to the entry doors and one in the rear). However, I need to get the ceiling panels down, insulate the ceiling, and then put another ceiling up. What do I do about the air conditioners, so I can work on the ceiling under them?

Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I want to try to keep my two air conditioners (one on the passenger side next to the entry doors and one in the rear). However, I need to get the ceiling panels down, insulate the ceiling, and then put another ceiling up. What do I do about the air conditioners, so I can work on the ceiling under them?
I would go with spray-foam insulation. Much easier than cutting standard insulation materials to fit in these areas. It IS possible to reclaim the refrigerant, temporarily remove the unit, then reinstall and recharge the system after doing the necessary work.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I kept my a/c units in my shorty. I just disconnected the frame work, left all the hoses connected and dropped the units to the floor. I incorporated the rear a/c unit into the cabinetry. The front unit remained on the floor until I was ready to relocate it. I was able to pick up a unit that was in an ambulance under dash that is significantly smaller. so I evacuated the unit and removed it and relocated the hoses to the new unit. I have 2 1/4" EPS insulation. I'm in the process of getting everything ready to cover that ceiling
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote