Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Chassis: Freightliner-Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz 6.4L
Alexa Controlled 12V circuits?

I've developed a few projects using Arduino platform to control circuits and have convinced myself I can program one to accept voice command from an Alexa Echo Dot to control the lights, etc. Has anyone pulled this off already here?
Samial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
Hello fellow arduinist! You're probably going to need a raspi to go along with the arduino, as I'm not quite sure how you'd get echo to communicate with arduino directly without a LOT of hassle. Basically you're going to need something that can get json data and do something with it. Trying to do that on an arduino alone, if even possible, would eat up that onboard memory. Even with a teensey.

I've played around with a raspi and echo, pretty neat but it was a lot of work for a simple project. Being said, that was just turning on an LED with echo. Coupled with arduino and a relay board, it should be perfectly doable to make a system to turn on/off the lights (and nearly anything else electrical, since you can have multiple keywords for echo).

Just remember - echo likes that internet connection. Make sure you factor that in, since echo won't respond to anything without one (except setup).

Here's a starting point for the Alexa & custom skills - https://developer.amazon.com/docs/cu...our-skill.html

Also remember that there are amazon units for your vehicle too. Never played around with anything other than a dot, so I'm not sure about internet connectivity with the vehicle alexa, but it may be more promising.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

You mean your Echo Dot will **speak** to your Arduino?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
gp has it right... you CAN get ethernet datas into an arduino using an Xport wireless or such.. where you would take serial data to and from the wi-fi. with the arduino directly... but its so much easier using something along the lines of curl anjd php-cli or python to generate and parse the necessary JSON used to talk to alexa..

another method you can do is by an arduino wi-fi shield and connect your arduino to IFTTT and then enable the IFTTT skill for alexa.. this is a little more simplistic in nature.. and someone has done it already...

https://www.hackster.io/bcarbs/conne...o-ifttt-1686ad

I am skippingthe arduino altogether and using a PI. all of my temperature readings are being acquired through 1 wire.. which is easy on a PI... of course internet connectivity on a PI is easy, and im running relay boards on my PI.

the same PI when im in the bus is going to run a touchscreen with a GUI in QT to handle the switches.. this is so I can remotely start up my webasto heater, check batteryu voltages, etc... then when im driving it is my "glass cockpit" for my switches for heat, A/C, and the like.. I may run a second PI to handle weather / GPS / Traffic.. not sure yet.. ive already got my engine and trans data on 2 tablets so im good with that part..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

The strategy is to emulate a WeMo switch so there is no custom development needed in the Alexa environment. I haven't pulled it off yet but here are instructions on what one guy did. . I've gotten the code to compile but my stuff won't be here until tomarrow so I haven't gotten it working yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Alexa sees the ESP8266 as a WeMo Switch once its connected to the same LAN, which will be a Mifi I have from Verizon. So they communicate to each other over my mobile lan. I've also got manual switches installed in parallel the event we're outside of Verizon's coverage. I've already hooked up the Alexa up to a 900 watt Amp and a set of 6" X 9" speakers installed and she is sounding sweet.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Amazing stuff. I've never dealt with PI but I've been told its not nearly as limited. The power demands of the Arduinos is so small and boots up so quickly I hate to give it up. Oh, and the board is only 9 bucks so I can have several throughout the cabin. It never even dawned on me to grab the voltage for battery life. My wife will kill me if I jump off on the tangent of learning a new platform and stop busting up pallets. I've got to get this thing road worthy before the concert season starts.