Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #241
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 441
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dmpo View Post
I've been lurking this site for a year or so, never felt compelled to reply to anythignuntil now. I had my 2003 Thomas with 3126E and MD 3060 unlocked by PCM Performance.com. Three hundred bucks. Then took the bus to my local CAT equipment dealer and in ten minutes and no dollars they put the laptop on it and gave me all the 3126 was capable of per CAT specs. With a 5.67 rearend I now have an 80mph 40' school bus. I have only been that fast one time, when I left the CAT shop and held it to the floor to see what it would do. Now I use my right foot and my brain and keep things around 70 at the most. Sixth gear doesn't add that much speed, just drops rpm by about 200 which helps fuel mileage. Take a picture of the back of your TCM which has a C.I.N. number on it, email it to the guys at PCM Performance.com and they will get back to you and tell you if they can unlock you trans. Apparently there are some they can not, but most they can.
EXACTLY what you said, but I'm going to buy a TCM from them and keep my org TCM for a backup in case the new one takes a dump on me.

__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #242
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
From what I understand friend is that the mfg gives Allison the ok to unlock since you have to take it to Allison to have the reprogramming. No it's not ULTIMATELY the mfg decision but it starts with having to have their blessing for you to have your property reprogrammed by another company that isn't the bus mfg. (in case I wasn't clear in my prev post)
Thank God for 3rd parties making a easier work around.

Enjoy the rest of yer weekend bud.
Allison is the manufacturer of the piece being unlocked.
The procedure I went through was to contact the Navistar service center in my area. They must get autprization from Allison to unlock the trans. Navistar was more than willing to do it, they didn't make the decision. Allison did because it's their piece of equipment that is being asked to be modded. I don't think anyone has had an issue with the dealer/service center wanting to take our money to have it done. Allison turns it down each time.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #243
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 441
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Allison is the manufacturer of the piece being unlocked.
The procedure I went through was to contact the Navistar service center in my area. They must get autprization from Allison to unlock the trans. Navistar was more than willing to do it, they didn't make the decision. Allison did because it's their piece of equipment that is being asked to be modded. I don't think anyone has had an issue with the dealer/service center wanting to take our money to have it done. Allison turns it down each time.
I've read on here how IH turns them down on buses older than 02 and FE buses and blue bird not even answering requests leaving the owner without any other option but the 3rd party guys.
Most people on here I read talked about taking theirs to Allison for the reprogramming.
BUT either way, it's still horrible one cannot have changes done to property that we own outright without anyone else having any claim to ownership of. It shouldn't ever be a issue, should be as simple as taking it to a dealer/shop and just paying to have the work done like anything else.

I am not arguing that Allison makes the transmission/TCM that is to be unlocked, by saying "mfg" I am referring to the chassis maker, not the trans.

Bon voyage wrote "

I’m working with my local Allison shop right now as I just got the approval letter from Thomas this week. Thomas doesn’t want the 6th to engage till 70.2 mph on flat ground, that seems a little high to me. The Allison shop is trying to get that at a lower speed for me too, as well as a better shift range for the other gears so will see what they come up with.
If it ends up too expensive or Allison won’t then I’ll try this other guy noted above." Note he is talking about THOMAS approving the ratio increase NOT Allison. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...-21661-15.html

Another example

"

Originally Posted by o1marc
So I'm trying to go through the process. Have been through 3 Allison service centers who had no clue. They sent me to W.W. Williams trcuk repair in Atl. They knew I would have to get the technical letter sent to Allison from Navistar to okay the procedure." http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...-21661-11.html

So like I said, you have to get a blessing from the MFG (of the chasis, not Allison) to have Allison do the reprogram, though yes SOME of the MFGs/dealer/shops can do the reprogram without taking it to Allison, but the start of the process is you have to have permission from IH/BB/Thomas ect for Allison to even begin to consider letting you have the unlock.

Hope that clears it up for you friend. Have a good en.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #244
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
I've read on here how IH turns them down on buses older than 02 and FE buses and blue bird not even answering requests leaving the owner without any other option but the 3rd party guys.
Most people on here I read talked about taking theirs to Allison for the reprogramming.
BUT either way, it's still horrible one cannot have changes done to property that we own outright without anyone else having any claim to ownership of. It shouldn't ever be a issue, should be as simple as taking it to a dealer/shop and just paying to have the work done like anything else.

I am not arguing that Allison makes the transmission/TCM that is to be unlocked, by saying "mfg" I am referring to the chassis maker, not the trans.

Bon voyage wrote "

I’m working with my local Allison shop right now as I just got the approval letter from Thomas this week. Thomas doesn’t want the 6th to engage till 70.2 mph on flat ground, that seems a little high to me. The Allison shop is trying to get that at a lower speed for me too, as well as a better shift range for the other gears so will see what they come up with.
If it ends up too expensive or Allison won’t then I’ll try this other guy noted above." Note he is talking about THOMAS approving the ratio increase NOT Allison. http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...-21661-15.html

Another example

"

Originally Posted by o1marc
So I'm trying to go through the process. Have been through 3 Allison service centers who had no clue. They sent me to W.W. Williams trcuk repair in Atl. They knew I would have to get the technical letter sent to Allison from Navistar to okay the procedure." http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...-21661-11.html

So like I said, you have to get a blessing from the MFG (of the chasis, not Allison) to have Allison do the reprogram, though yes SOME of the MFGs/dealer/shops can do the reprogram without taking it to Allison, but the start of the process is you have to have permission from IH/BB/Thomas ect for Allison to even begin to consider letting you have the unlock.

Hope that clears it up for you friend. Have a good en.
Again, no one seems to have issues getting the blessing from the manufacturer to write the letter, but Allison is the final say and they decline it almost every time.

When I requested mine I made a point that the request was for seeking better fuel mileage, not increased speed.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #245
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 441
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Again, no one seems to have issues getting the blessing from the manufacturer to write the letter, but Allison is the final say and they decline it almost every time.

When I requested mine I made a point that the request was for seeking better fuel mileage, not increased speed.
"no one seems to have issues getting the blessing from the manufacturer" Read the whole thread, that isn't what others here are reporting at all.
BB owners report they get ignored and can't get considered as I stated earlier.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #246
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
From what I understand friend is that the mfg gives Allison the ok to unlock since you have to take it to Allison to have the reprogramming. No it's not ULTIMATELY the mfg decision but it starts with having to have their blessing for you to have your property reprogrammed by another company that isn't the bus mfg. (in case I wasn't clear in my prev post)
Thank God for 3rd parties making a easier work around.

Enjoy the rest of yer weekend bud.
Hate to disagree with you..... as I have been through this twice with 2 different International dealers...... but Allison will not touch it, or at least the allison dealer wont in Dallas TX, with out a release of liability from the manufacture of the bus body.

This is what pisses me off is it is not consistant across the USA as to what or can get this unlocked. I am very happy for those who have fallen through the cracks but if you 99.9% of the people I know and have read submit a request through a dealer get turned down...... Period.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #247
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
"no one seems to have issues getting the blessing from the manufacturer" Read the whole thread, that isn't what others here are reporting at all.
BB owners report they get ignored and can't get considered as I stated earlier.
They may be turned down by the dealer because they know Allison won't comply. I still say it doesn't matter if they are turned down by the dealer, if the dealer did okay it, Allsion would turn it down. This is not new to me. I have actively been researching this for over a year. I've spoken to numerous dealer/service centers, and PCM.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #248
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 441
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Hate to disagree with you..... as I have been through this twice with 2 different International dealers...... but Allison will not touch it, or at least the allison dealer wont in Dallas TX, with out a release of liability from the manufacture of the bus body.

This is what pisses me off is it is not consistant across the USA as to what or can get this unlocked. I am very happy for those who have fallen through the cracks but if you 99.9% of the people I know and have read submit a request through a dealer get turned down...... Period.
We aren't really in that much disagreement, both Allison and mfg shops alike depending on the actual shop can or cannot or will not do the reprogram. I found a Allison shop near Chattanooga TN that will do them so long as I get a approval letter from IH. That's a 200 some mile drive from me, I haven't found a shop closer to me that can or will do the work, though I have not contacted any IC dealers. Rather than all that hassle I decided to just get a TCM programmed for my needs from a 3rd party so I can also have my old TCM as a spare to keep me from having to be towed off the side of the road if/when the TCM decides to give up.

I've not read of Allison being willing to touch the ratio increase without permission from the chassis mfg. And that was the whole point of what I've been saying. Allison should just have a simple wavier we sign to have the work done, it's our property not theirs.
Like you said it really depends where you go as to what line you get fed.
It's the other guy that was saying noone has a problem with the chassis maker giving auth that I am in full disagreement with, it's easy to find people complaining about being denied and ignored.

He also goes on to say Allison ALWAYS denies requests which if you read this whole thread and I have 2 or 3 times since last year, Allison doesn't always deny, it's usually the chassis maker. Not saying Allison doesn't deny some, but they don't deny everyone, the hard part is with the chassis maker.
Now on a front engine bus it seems people are having the worst time getting that auth, mainly because of drive shaft length and those of us with pushers have an easier time with it. And all Blue birdy seems to ignore pretty much everyone with an auth request.

All the same guys, I am done with the topic, there is no need to argue in circles about it, I'd suggest anyone curious just read this whole thread and you will see what I was trying to convey.

All you guys nothing personal or hard feelings, you fellers take care out there and remember to keep your stop signs in while driving.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #249
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
We aren't really in that much disagreement, both Allison and mfg shops alike depending on the actual shop can or cannot or will not do the reprogram. I found a Allison shop near Chattanooga TN that will do them so long as I get a approval letter from IH. That's a 200 some mile drive from me, I haven't found a shop closer to me that can or will do the work, though I have not contacted any IC dealers. Rather than all that hassle I decided to just get a TCM programmed for my needs from a 3rd party so I can also have my old TCM as a spare to keep me from having to be towed off the side of the road if/when the TCM decides to give up.

I've not read of Allison being willing to touch the ratio increase without permission from the chassis mfg. And that was the whole point of what I've been saying. Allison should just have a simple wavier we sign to have the work done, it's our property not theirs.
Like you said it really depends where you go as to what line you get fed.
It's the other guy that was saying noone has a problem with the chassis maker giving auth that I am in full disagreement with, it's easy to find people complaining about being denied and ignored.

He also goes on to say Allison ALWAYS denies requests which if you read this whole thread and I have 2 or 3 times since last year, Allison doesn't always deny, it's usually the chassis maker. Not saying Allison doesn't deny some, but they don't deny everyone, the hard part is with the chassis maker.
Now on a front engine bus it seems people are having the worst time getting that auth, mainly because of drive shaft length and those of us with pushers have an easier time with it. And all Blue birdy seems to ignore pretty much everyone with an auth request.

All the same guys, I am done with the topic, there is no need to argue in circles about it, I'd suggest anyone curious just read this whole thread and you will see what I was trying to convey.

All you guys nothing personal or hard feelings, you fellers take care out there and remember to keep your stop signs in while driving.
The only ones I've seen be successful with Allison are those who have 01 or newer buses. I agree that Allison shouldn't have an issue inlocking something they no longer have any liability for. I will undoubtedly take the same path you took.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #250
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
We aren't really in that much disagreement, both Allison and mfg shops alike depending on the actual shop can or cannot or will not do the reprogram. I found a Allison shop near Chattanooga TN that will do them so long as I get a approval letter from IH. That's a 200 some mile drive from me, I haven't found a shop closer to me that can or will do the work, though I have not contacted any IC dealers. Rather than all that hassle I decided to just get a TCM programmed for my needs from a 3rd party so I can also have my old TCM as a spare to keep me from having to be towed off the side of the road if/when the TCM decides to give up.

I've not read of Allison being willing to touch the ratio increase without permission from the chassis mfg. And that was the whole point of what I've been saying. Allison should just have a simple wavier we sign to have the work done, it's our property not theirs.
Like you said it really depends where you go as to what line you get fed.
It's the other guy that was saying noone has a problem with the chassis maker giving auth that I am in full disagreement with, it's easy to find people complaining about being denied and ignored.

He also goes on to say Allison ALWAYS denies requests which if you read this whole thread and I have 2 or 3 times since last year, Allison doesn't always deny, it's usually the chassis maker. Not saying Allison doesn't deny some, but they don't deny everyone, the hard part is with the chassis maker.
Now on a front engine bus it seems people are having the worst time getting that auth, mainly because of drive shaft length and those of us with pushers have an easier time with it. And all Blue birdy seems to ignore pretty much everyone with an auth request.

All the same guys, I am done with the topic, there is no need to argue in circles about it, I'd suggest anyone curious just read this whole thread and you will see what I was trying to convey.

All you guys nothing personal or hard feelings, you fellers take care out there and remember to keep your stop signs in while driving.
Not really an argument. I am just stating what waters i have had to walk through. Ive read this post 3 times now from head to toe to follow and refresh all that have added here. It seems I think there are a handful of people who get approval ( most of them from Thomas) from the manufacture which in turn take it to an allison dealer ( if the dealership is not one) and they will extract the current CAL out of the TCM. They put their new witchery on it and send it back to the dealer to load in the TCM and poof.... 6th gear happens. The other people seem to really fall through the cracks some way some how and get allison to get them a CAL that will open it up for them, but that seems to be far from the norm which is you go to a International dealer and they make the request to Navistar which will get denied.

The first dealership I went to ( Southwest International in Arlington TX) made the submittal to International. They denied it based on age. They are also an allison service center. So I would like to think they have the ins and outs of what has to be done. I then contacted Stewart and Stevens in Irving TX , who is the biggest allison dealer in north central Texas, and they send me the Allison release of liability that International has to sign and send to them for allison to release it and start the exchange to allison to modify their CAL. Now do things fall through the cracks.... yes. Which is where I think some people are making this happen. If that was the case everyone and their dog would flock to X business and have this done. I dont see a lot of people posting in here that says... yeah go to X place and it WILL happen. This is the very reason why 3rd party options are about the only way I see the majority of us getting this opened.

Would it be nice to just sign a waiver and remove all people from liability.... sure but in todays legal age and people being sue happy that will not happen. This is probably why this is a 2 stage process from International to Allison. I think in every case... other than the guy I talked to personally.... has been rejected by International on the 6th gear request for buses. The allison dealer told me they had some trash trucks they unlocked but they are obviously not the same as a school bus so they were green lighted.

My whole point is that allison doesnt have to deny people. If they never get the release from the manufacture its a mute point. They have to do nothing other than if the request is made to them directly they will refer them to ... get your release of liability from the manufacture.

I am just trying to cut the leg work down for people who are swimming in the same muddy waters I am and get to desired result. Its not personal for me either just telling my tale. If someone knows where you can get a 100% approval with a release of liability from International please let people know. If not my suggestion is to REALLY consider 3rd party options.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #251
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The only ones I've seen be successful with Allison are those who have 01 or newer buses. I agree that Allison shouldn't have an issue inlocking something they no longer have any liability for. I will undoubtedly take the same path you took.
Well again hate to stir the pot but my 2001 for denied by Navistar International. The dealer only emails them and makes this request to their engineering dept. They are the go or no go people. With having done this 2x they ( Navistar) have been the stop not Allison. Allison doesnt care its just a matter of putting some info in their software to spit out a new CAL file and sending it to the allison dealer who will install it. If anything they want to send them files as it would be money making for the allison dealer to put and hour or so of service time to load a file that does not take a full hour to so. More like 15 min to make that happen.

Not sure where your getting info on any maker of anything not having a liability in a certain amount of time? People like to sue other people and make them pay when things go bad or wrong. So people look for who did what when.... to try and pin it on them and go digging in pockets. Applying your logic those with older buses would get a hall pass and that just isnt happening. If anything is easier to deny it due to their age. Which is what International told me on attempt #1
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #252
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 441
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Well again hate to stir the pot but my 2001 for denied by Navistar International. The dealer only emails them and makes this request to their engineering dept. They are the go or no go people. With having done this 2x they ( Navistar) have been the stop not Allison. Allison doesnt care its just a matter of putting some info in their software to spit out a new CAL file and sending it to the allison dealer who will install it. If anything they want to send them files as it would be money making for the allison dealer to put and hour or so of service time to load a file that does not take a full hour to so. More like 15 min to make that happen.

Not sure where your getting info on any maker of anything not having a liability in a certain amount of time? People like to sue other people and make them pay when things go bad or wrong. So people look for who did what when.... to try and pin it on them and go digging in pockets. Applying your logic those with older buses would get a hall pass and that just isnt happening. If anything is easier to deny it due to their age. Which is what International told me on attempt #1
Yup, most of what I've read is if your IH is older than 02 then you can bet the farm they will turn you down.
I emailed IH awhile back I emailed IH corp about this and they never would respond to me and I just decided the 3rd party route was better and I want a backup TCM anyways. I prefer to always have spare parts, tows are expensive, I've worked as a dispatcher so I really know how it goes. A tow can easily out-price a TCM especially if it's a long distance tow.
I had a commercial wrecker recover a 37' RV for me that I bought as a non driver and paid $400 to have it towed 60 miles and that was an awesome deal. Get out in places like Cali and you will pay that to go 10 miles.
And well some places you might have to call a company that is located a long way away to get a rig that can tow you, remember it isn't going to be towed by a flat bed or a little ol wheel lift that can snatch a 1 ton pickup.
I've setup tows for semis that was in the thousands, partly because the tow rig had to come 200 or so miles just to pick it up....
So jumping through hoops and having to lug it down to a dealer for programming for just software isn't worth it to me when I can just get another TCM and wait for it in the mail and install myself to have a spare to not deal with a tow over a dead TCM and still have to buy a TCM after a big fat tow bill....
I'm sorry for ranting on, I'm dealing with a kidney stone and took the day off from doing anything so I'm just trying to keep my mind off my personal malfunctions.
I love this forum and the people here, you guys are way better mannered than say those on PSN, I use to be on there a few years ago but couldn't stand the immaturity that goes on there with how personal people get about stuff. Thanks EVERYONE for your input on the matter, like I said this forum really helped me to pick a bus I'm happy with, even if it's a pain to get a simple reprogram done.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #253
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Yup, most of what I've read is if your IH is older than 02 then you can bet the farm they will turn you down.
I emailed IH awhile back I emailed IH corp about this and they never would respond to me and I just decided the 3rd party route was better and I want a backup TCM anyways. I prefer to always have spare parts, tows are expensive, I've worked as a dispatcher so I really know how it goes. A tow can easily out-price a TCM especially if it's a long distance tow.
I had a commercial wrecker recover a 37' RV for me that I bought as a non driver and paid $400 to have it towed 60 miles and that was an awesome deal. Get out in places like Cali and you will pay that to go 10 miles.
And well some places you might have to call a company that is located a long way away to get a rig that can tow you, remember it isn't going to be towed by a flat bed or a little ol wheel lift that can snatch a 1 ton pickup.
I've setup tows for semis that was in the thousands, partly because the tow rig had to come 200 or so miles just to pick it up....
So jumping through hoops and having to lug it down to a dealer for programming for just software isn't worth it to me when I can just get another TCM and wait for it in the mail and install myself to have a spare to not deal with a tow over a dead TCM and still have to buy a TCM after a big fat tow bill....
I'm sorry for ranting on, I'm dealing with a kidney stone and took the day off from doing anything so I'm just trying to keep my mind off my personal malfunctions.
I love this forum and the people here, you guys are way better mannered than say those on PSN, I use to be on there a few years ago but couldn't stand the immaturity that goes on there with how personal people get about stuff. Thanks EVERYONE for your input on the matter, like I said this forum really helped me to pick a bus I'm happy with, even if it's a pain to get a simple reprogram done.
I get the need for spares. Being a former Navy man we like to have a primary and a back and usually a back up to the back up. That I get.

I work in the HVAC world so I am well aware how electronic boards go out and can cost a crap ton. I am not sure the failure rate of 3060 tcm's? The biggest fear I have is I send my original in to say PCM to be reflashed and it comes back non working or with bad info? Then that back up would be made of gold. I think its pretty easy to tell once you get it back.... plug it in that it either will work or will not? This is why I would like if a allison dealer was to flash it but with the discussion above I dont see that being an option. From what I gather its all software driven to make the 6th gear work.

I agree on having towing insurance. I am still early on in my conversion and have a VERY long ways to go so my bus sits 90% of the time. I had towing insurance on it and dropped it as Good Sam will not tow a bus that is not converted. I had a HUGE discussion about this in a bus group I admin. I was told they would when I signed up with them 2 years ago and come to find out a member of my group did the same as I did but when the driver walked in to her non converted bus.... said nope..... this will be out of pocket so she got nailed for 400 or so.

Over all I think the 3060 is one of the most reliable out there. Yes it will have its failures but so does everything else at some point in time. I would think the electrical side happens more than mechanical?

I like good discussion with people who can support their side. I dont try to attack others out there but when I know I am on target I have no issues telling them the path I have walked. I started my 6th gear search for about 2 years now. I am just trying to let others know my successes and failures so they can move quicker than I did
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #254
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Well again hate to stir the pot but my 2001 for denied by Navistar International. The dealer only emails them and makes this request to their engineering dept. They are the go or no go people. With having done this 2x they ( Navistar) have been the stop not Allison. Allison doesnt care its just a matter of putting some info in their software to spit out a new CAL file and sending it to the allison dealer who will install it. If anything they want to send them files as it would be money making for the allison dealer to put and hour or so of service time to load a file that does not take a full hour to so. More like 15 min to make that happen.

Not sure where your getting info on any maker of anything not having a liability in a certain amount of time? People like to sue other people and make them pay when things go bad or wrong. So people look for who did what when.... to try and pin it on them and go digging in pockets. Applying your logic those with older buses would get a hall pass and that just isnt happening. If anything is easier to deny it due to their age. Which is what International told me on attempt #1
My experience has been that the Navistar dealers are more than happy to do if they could. Some knew nothing of the process, but had no problem delving into it to see how to do it. The one that knew and was willing got back to me after Allison denied the request due to age, it wasn't the Navistars decision. So it's a total CF because some say Allison does, yet some have direct denial from Allison. Some say Allison is okay with but not the dealer/service. If that were the case I would get the letter of approval from Allison from the dealer denying it and find a dealer that will but doesn't get Allisons approval.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #255
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
My experience has been that the Navistar dealers are more than happy to do if they could. Some knew nothing of the process, but had no problem delving into it to see how to do it. The one that knew and was willing got back to me after Allison denied the request due to age, it wasn't the Navistars decision. So it's a total CF because some say Allison does, yet some have direct denial from Allison. Some say Allison is okay with but not the dealer/service. If that were the case I would get the letter of approval from Allison from the dealer denying it and find a dealer that will but doesn't get Allisons approval.
I have the service letter on allison letter head I am attaching that the Allison dealer emailed to me that outlines what Allison needs to make a CAL. Its dated 2017 and seems to be the SOP for Allison unless they run rouge and do what they wish? Not saying it doesnt happen but in my 2 years I have never heard of allison denying anyone other than them saying... give me the manufactures liability release.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison 6th gear doc.pdf (238.0 KB, 29 views)
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #256
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
All I can say is there is contradictory info provided by everyone involved in the process, and I do mean EVERYBODY.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #257
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
All I can say is there is contradictory info provided by everyone involved in the process, and I do mean EVERYBODY.
Last time I checked there are 3 sides to every story.... yours.... mine... and the truth. Difference is I can back every part of mine up. I think the Allison doc speaks for itself. If you have proof other wise I am more than willing to listen.

If you have a solution offer it, saying everyone's info is contradictory only muddys the water. Make it clear or stop stirring the water.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #258
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Last time I checked there are 3 sides to every story.... yours.... mine... and the truth. Difference is I can back every part of mine up. I think the Allison doc speaks for itself. If you have proof other wise I am more than willing to listen.

If you have a solution offer it, saying everyone's info is contradictory only muddys the water. Make it clear or stop stirring the water.
While I don't have a written letter, I spoke to the serviceman right after he called me after speaking with Allison and getting different info than your letter. The service center I spoke to was more than willing to do the job, Allison said no.The letter says Allison has no authority, yet many have been told by Allison they wouldn't do it.
If I had a solution I would offer it the same as anyone else. Since no one has come up with a viable option there seems to be nothing but muddied water.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #259
Bus Nut
 
bapos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleburne TX
Posts: 688
Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
While I don't have a written letter, I spoke to the serviceman right after he called me after speaking with Allison and getting different info than your letter. The service center I spoke to was more than willing to do the job, Allison said no.The letter says Allison has no authority, yet many have been told by Allison they wouldn't do it.
If I had a solution I would offer it the same as anyone else. Since no one has come up with a viable option there seems to be nothing but muddied water.
Speaking turns in to hear say. That turn in to opinions and we know how the rest of the saying goes.... everyone has one and most of them stink.

Ive talked to a good oh 10 or 12 service managers if we want to go that route which pretty much leads us no where but right back to where we are. To be honest I am more interested in getting a solution out there for people to use than hashing out what people feel is right.

To me and seems pretty clear to see is that we need to call PCM which I will be doing tomorrow to start my process of getting mine flashed. Seems others have got theirs done cause I see in the thread a lot of 6's that say they have had theirs flashed.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #260
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,472
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
Speaking turns in to hear say. That turn in to opinions and we know how the rest of the saying goes.... everyone has one and most of them stink.

Ive talked to a good oh 10 or 12 service managers if we want to go that route which pretty much leads us no where but right back to where we are. To be honest I am more interested in getting a solution out there for people to use than hashing out what people feel is right.

To me and seems pretty clear to see is that we need to call PCM which I will be doing tomorrow to start my process of getting mine flashed. Seems others have got theirs done cause I see in the thread a lot of 6's that say they have had theirs flashed.
As I previously mentioned, I have spoken to PCM about doing mine and they said they didn't have the software to accomplish it on the "older" Allisons (01 and earlier), If they tell you different they will be getting mine next week.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.