Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #381
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: American Fire & Rescue
Chassis: IH 4900
Engine: DT466 250hp P-pump
Sounds like you are now the proud owner of a Frankenstein. Not entirely a bad thing. Hopefully the new calibration works��
If not, How to make it all work SMOOTHLY as a whole... the Allison WTEC 2/3 sheet I posted should be useful for identifying the era of your transmission and your TCM.
What is the manufacture date (serial #) of your tranny? This will help determine what TCM you need to use. You may need to purchase a WTEC 3? It seems, with the Exception of the transition period (~1997), WTEC 2 is for mechanical, WTEC 3 is for electronic.
PLEASE let us know how things work out!

concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #382

Yes, exactly. The transmission in the truck now is a 94/95 but I I actually have a 2nd, spare transmission that is from a 99. According to my Allison guy, the 94/95 is not compatible with WTEC 3. If your Cin doesn’t work out, I will buy a WTEC 3 ECU and shifter and put the CIN that the other member provided me with. Only issue is trying to source the wiring harness. Would anyone have a part number or source for one?

** can anyone offer any suggestions why my speedo does not work? Could it be because my ECU is TPS and not auto detect? Apparently this is built into the Cin and Allison can not adjust that from a dealer level.
korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #383

Everyone please post a picture of your Allison ECU so we can see the Cin numbers please? Let’s build a data base.
korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #384
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by korgae View Post
Yes, exactly. The transmission in the truck now is a 94/95 but I I actually have a 2nd, spare transmission that is from a 99. According to my Allison guy, the 94/95 is not compatible with WTEC 3. If your Cin doesn’t work out, I will buy a WTEC 3 ECU and shifter and put the CIN that the other member provided me with. Only issue is trying to source the wiring harness. Would anyone have a part number or source for one?

** can anyone offer any suggestions why my speedo does not work? Could it be because my ECU is TPS and not auto detect? Apparently this is built into the Cin and Allison can not adjust that from a dealer level.
The wiring harness part number (WTEC 3) may be accessible through Navistar based on your VIN. Or perhaps through Allison based on your transmission serial #. I believe there is an aftermarket company that also makes them (in Oregon?). Ran across a reference to them in one of these threads; perhaps Cad kid was the source of the reference?— I know I keep dropping references to you, Chris. If you want me to stop then you’ll have to stop contributing so much useful info:

A dysfunctional speedo definitely affects some auto trannies. It certainly does for ‘90’s era ford trucks with the E4OD. I don’t know how it works with Allison...CHRIS!?!?!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #385
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28
If it is an internal harness you are chasing I have one sitting in my garage with the level sensor for the transmission fluid level remote reading. I am a long way from the garage at the moment but will be back there next weekend if you would like me to check the numbers. Hit me with a PM.
Ringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #386
Almost There

Quote:
Everyone please post a picture of your Allison ECU so we can see the Cin numbers please? Let’s build a data base.
PLEASE and THANK YOU!!

Please post a pic of the CIN sticker on your TCM. Also, please type the CIN and governed RPM, as the pics don’t show up for everyone; and the CIN number is the key to 6speed heaven and governed RPM is key to not blowing up your engine. Finally, please include a brief description of your rig: year, engine type/size, PTO or not.

See my post #378 in this thread for pics of my stuff. I failed to spell out the info in that post, and I don’t seem to be able to edit it now, so...
6-spd CIN— 08001m30144.
1995 IH dt466 (250+hp) 2300 rpm with PTO.

Other details could be included like rear axle ratio, but I don’t know how much that will really change things and will probably just cloud the issue.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #387
Almost There

Quote:
Thank you. I know I pulled a thread up from the past, but it's been a big help. I actually found your thread on the IRV forum where you originally posted pics of your ECU and transmission. Funny thing is my Allison dealer litterly just your your CIN into my ECU this afternoon and I am going to try it out tomorrow morning when I take it back to my mechanic.
Korgae
It’s been a couple weeks, is the 6-spd programming working? Any success fixing the speedo?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #388

Big blue needs 6th gear unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos View Post
As Tjones said ........ no one in here probably operates a fleet. Unless you are willing to take on everyones request to help them...... this "I have no problems " does not help ANYONE in here. The post is all about pretty much those who can not get it done through regular channels. So this is to help others find their ways to those who can help get that done.

Not trying to be an ass here but your post really only helped you?
Good morning! I Have a IH 4700lp which has been in my family sense my late grandpa bought it from IH in 98. I was fortunate enough to snag it before my lovely step grandma sold all of my grandpas racing trailer and haulers, it was a sad day to see it all go but we had no control over the situation as grandpa had Alzheimer’s and she decide to cash in, I also had to buy the truck to save it and the only reason I did was I can remember the exact day he bought it as I got to ride in it and I felt like I was in top of the world, it was an awesome day as I was only 13 at the time. I have had the truck now for 4 years and I was planning on using it to tow my toy hauler to the dunes and boat to the river however going do the road at 2300 rpm and 75 miles and hour the truck won’t get out of its own way let alone out of the way of these semi truck drivers that are pushing me around doing 80, not that I want to do 80 in a fully loaded rig I’m more or less seeking better fuel mileage, running 75 mph at 2300 rpm is just sucking the fuel down so I’m trying to get my Allison 3060p’s 6th gear unlocked. I have ran into multiple road blocks from IH and Allison so I’m looking for some help and guidance to get this done. I’m in construction own a house and pool building company in Arizona so I can build anything but I’m no mechanic and I’m not afraid to admit it, I obviously can do the normal maintenance and I not an idiot I just don’t want to try and tackle something like this unless I have a set of instructions but I would rather have a professional do it for me, please if anyone can help me out the would be much appreciated so I can start to use big blue

1998 international 4700lp
Dt 466e
Alison 3060p
Randy
Freshstart202086403@gmail.com
Bigblue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #389
Almost There

Welcome Randy!
Your ‘98 falls into no man’s land. At least it did. It seems that Bapos has a contact that can get this done for you. Consult his post #317 for his email. You can also PM Bapos, but he may not see that for a long time.
Another option is to get the CIN from a rig similar to yours that already has 6th unlocked. Allison will reflash your TCM/ECU with the new CIN. But that hunt hasn’t been easy for many of us.
Unless you know of someone with the “option B” rig, contacting Bapos is your best bet.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #390
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
I sent you a PM about a week or so ago. Not sure if you got in contact with the Allison Master or not. If I can be of any more help let me know.

Bapos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue98 View Post
Good morning! I Have a IH 4700lp which has been in my family sense my late grandpa bought it from IH in 98. I was fortunate enough to snag it before my lovely step grandma sold all of my grandpas racing trailer and haulers, it was a sad day to see it all go but we had no control over the situation as grandpa had Alzheimer’s and she decide to cash in, I also had to buy the truck to save it and the only reason I did was I can remember the exact day he bought it as I got to ride in it and I felt like I was in top of the world, it was an awesome day as I was only 13 at the time. I have had the truck now for 4 years and I was planning on using it to tow my toy hauler to the dunes and boat to the river however going do the road at 2300 rpm and 75 miles and hour the truck won’t get out of its own way let alone out of the way of these semi truck drivers that are pushing me around doing 80, not that I want to do 80 in a fully loaded rig I’m more or less seeking better fuel mileage, running 75 mph at 2300 rpm is just sucking the fuel down so I’m trying to get my Allison 3060p’s 6th gear unlocked. I have ran into multiple road blocks from IH and Allison so I’m looking for some help and guidance to get this done. I’m in construction own a house and pool building company in Arizona so I can build anything but I’m no mechanic and I’m not afraid to admit it, I obviously can do the normal maintenance and I not an idiot I just don’t want to try and tackle something like this unless I have a set of instructions but I would rather have a professional do it for me, please if anyone can help me out the would be much appreciated so I can start to use big blue

1998 international 4700lp
Dt 466e
Alison 3060p
Randy
Freshstart202086403@gmail.com
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #391
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Got an estimate to unlock mine $250-300 at trailercraft, anchorage AK, where my bus is wintering. When we go back up in June I am gonna get it done. They did not ask for a letter.

Needless to say not much straight flat highway up there like the lower 48, but to see my shift control light up a "6" instead of "5" will make me feel good! I will post results.
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #392
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
I emailed Thomas Built sunday night and first thing monday I had a reply saying that they would forward my request to unlock 6th to someone named Ricky at Thomas, wondering how long before I hear from him?
RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #393
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post
Got an estimate to unlock mine $250-300 at trailercraft, anchorage AK, where my bus is wintering. When we go back up in June I am gonna get it done. They did not ask for a letter.

Needless to say not much straight flat highway up there like the lower 48, but to see my shift control light up a "6" instead of "5" will make me feel good! I will post results.
I see a summer trip up to Ak in my future, may be a couple years from now, but it's still in my plans. It would be good if there is a guy that will unlock without a "permission" letter.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #394
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
I emailed Thomas Built sunday night and first thing monday I had a reply saying that they would forward my request to unlock 6th to someone named Ricky at Thomas, wondering how long before I hear from him?
I had a member of my fb bus group do it from thomas legit. I think his took 6 months. They do them in batches so no telling when they will do them and the covid19 thing wont help you any. There are other options
Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #395
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I see a summer trip up to Ak in my future, may be a couple years from now, but it's still in my plans. It would be good if there is a guy that will unlock without a "permission" letter.
There are guys who can do this with out the permission letter. I know I got mine done and send him business. It does take some effort on your end.... the biggest one is an adapter that can plug in to your bus
Old 06-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #396
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
There are guys who can do this with out the permission letter. I know I got mine done and send him business. It does take some effort on your end.... the biggest one is an adapter that can plug in to your bus
From what I have read, Blue Bird does not give the permission letter, so it's up to finding guys like yours to get the job done. Please do share his contact info. Texas is likely to happen much sooner than Alaska on my travel plans.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #397
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 1308N
Engine: 5.9 24V Cummins
Rated Cap: 44 Transit
Quote:
I had a member of my fb bus group do it from thomas legit. I think his took 6 months. They do them in batches so no telling when they will do them and the covid19 thing wont help you any. There are other options
Like I said I e Mailed late sunday night, had an initial reply 7:30 am monday and today, tuesday I heard from Ricky Myers at Thomas. He said that he does them in batches and that I should mark my calendar for august and send him a reminder e mail. All in all a pretty quick response time, and I wont be ready to travel until late fall anyway. I'll repost when they give me a verdict.
RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #398
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Got 6th gear!!

Bus is faster 64mph and 2050 rpm, seems most I can get out of it.

I got it done at trailercraft in Anchorage (while they were figuring my power steering/hydraulic fan leak see that post).

Estimate was 250=300 they charged 450, hey corona or something!

Hope to post a TCM sticker per Concrete (member) request
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #399
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the computer probably has a speed limiter set at 65, but at part throttle thats a nice spot to sit!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #400

Been reading this thread yesterday doing some research. I’m purchasing a 1998 fl80 crew cab 8.3 cummins with md 3060p. Searching for ways to unlock 6 gear. Truck is a wtec2 style. I found a company who says they can reprogram any wtec2 to add 6th gear and can make other changes if needed. Was told $400 and few days turns around after sending TCM in. I spoke with Jeff

ECM King - Heavy Duty Truck ECM Rebuilders & Remanufacturers
Sledpuller is offline   Reply With Quote